A must-watch for users with real-time issues!

This http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon program is a huge helper, when it comes to sort out all the conflicts.

Unfortunately a lot of us use Vienna Ensemble Pro se the NIC card has to be operational. Additionally most studios in 2016 need to be able to Dropbox/WeTransfer etc etc files to and fro daily and with Avid going to Subscription model (and I’m guessing Steinberg will follow) we all need internet connectivity really

Fantastic!

My problem was the network card.
Just disable it at device manager transform my disc cache performance!
Solid rock performance again.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing,

Very informative!!!

George

Also remember all of us who use Euphonix/Avid control surfaces need to have Networking enabled as the Eucon protocol uses Ethernet.

I have two LAN connections active all the time;
1: going to a network switch for my Euphonix controllers
2: regular Lan connection to my internet router for File transfers etc.

MC

+1 to follow this post

I’m getting great performance with my computer. I build it myself so I could combine great CPU (i7 extreme) and RAM (32gb)

How about if Steinberg supported it’s user community with benchmark test for computer models (both Mac and PC) specifically designed to test the performance of Cubase and Nuendo?

We need this. I want to know what motherboards have the lowest DPC latency. There are so many different CPU choices, it seems like Steinberg could fairly easily come out with recommendations. Perhaps that an i7 with high clock speed is performing better than a 10 core xeon at lower clock speed etc (just as an example)

I didn’t realize a better graphics card would make much of a difference in Cubase. I currently have a Sapphire 5450 1gb card in use, should I upgrade to a 2gb card? Also I am hesitant to buy a card that utilizes fan cooling as this would implement more noise to my recording environment.

Any thoughts?

I’m amazed that the Steinberg (for example) don’t see the market for a hardware based system (ie not a PC) I remember a few years ago when Roland went close by offering a hardware audio recorder with a simple monitor setup and mouse. Really that should be it. I have a Sky Box at home - it can record full HD picture and 5.1 sound at the same time and is a few hundred £. In my dreams I see a Steinberg DAW black box with Cubase hardcoded into it that should have very little chance of glitching or anything else. Connect that to a monitor and there you go. PC’s are russian roulette when it comes to finding a stable audio platform.

I got a mac pro 2 months ago I had a Nvidia Cuadro 4000 2gb (or 4?) installed just because it was cheap and possible. I sensed issues and got it replaced with a standard ATI 1gb (the one that would come with that macpro). It worked faster and better for audio. What i think i learned is: some graphic card are POWERFUL (rendering, calculating), other are FAST (gaming, real-time work) and fast is better when you deal with AUDIO.

ALSO the nvidia cuadro 4000 was very noisy. mentioned online by some and confirmed by me! :wink:

my 2¢

+1

what I think I learned is FAST is more important than POWERFUL.

so fast cpu speed instead of, for example, higher number of cores, or power of them. I mean… find the fastest between the most powerful with more cores. something like that :wink:

my 2¢

Until the dreaded day when they drop support… :unamused:

… and would never be updated. That’s not a dream, that’s a nightmare!

I don’t agree with this - I think a lot of problems are caused by manufacturers prioritising battery life over realtime audio performance; fine if all you are doing is wondering around surfing the net but not so good for us musicians. Sometimes they can be tweaked to run well, but sometimes not, depending on which power saving options can be turned off in the BIOS.

I do agree that bloatware doesn’t help though.

On my opinion manufacturers especially Apple are targeting a complete other clientele than musicians these days. If you compare the new Mac Pro with old ones you will see that you hardly can exchange parts and you are having a hard time installing pcie cards, internal hard drives etc. Nowadays for a PT HDX system you will need Thunderbolt expansion chassis to get things running. On the old Mac Pro’s you simply can built them in without the need of that.

Unfortunately, some manufacturers are following Apple’s lead. Look at Apoggee who has gone all in with the Mac/Thunderbolt platform.

I don’t have any issues right now (knocking on wood) but the information in this video was very timely for me as I am a hankerin for a new PC in the near future.

Thanks