Not Detecting MIDI Keyboard

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
xxeddiemanxx

Not Detecting MIDI Keyboard

Post by xxeddiemanxx » Mon May 30, 2016 10:13 pm

I have a really frustrating problem. There are some times when I load a project and my midi keyboard is plugged in, but cubase doesn't recognize it. The same thing happens if I accidentally unplug the keyboard while cubase is open. I plug in back in and it doesn't recognize it. Sometimes i have to restart my computer. There seems to be no consistencies when it comes to whether or not my keyboard will be recognized.

Thanks

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Re: Not Detecting MIDI Keyboard

Post by Grim » Mon May 30, 2016 10:25 pm

Cubase will never recognise a midi device that isn't already connected and switched on before starting Cubase.
If you unplug then you must close Cubase plug in and restart Cubase. This is completely normal.

If you actually have to reboot the computer this presumably means the driver is not being made available by windows when Cubase starts up in which case try different cable, different usb ports etc to see if you can get any improvement.
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

peakae

Post by peakae » Tue May 31, 2016 1:58 am

Or use a real midi interface, Cubase sees the interface and you can turn on/off connect/disconnect anything hanging on that interface (with midi cables).
I have a cheap 4 port miditech, that is rock solid, and does not need drivers .
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety » Tue May 31, 2016 12:46 pm

It is not always essential to have your keyboards switched on. Peakae's solution works - used to do it myself - but then I discovered that if I connected my keyboard straight into the interface, using old-style (DIN) MIDI cables, rather than USB, I didn't need to do anything special and can switch on/off at will with no problem.
Instruments: Piano/keys, Guitar, Mandolin, Vocal
Current Sounds: Cactus Juice (@Soundcloud) - Former Sounds: Ask Murt (@MySpace)

Every day's a skool day...

TC65

Post by TC65 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:18 am

Tried everything people have suggested but ever since I was told to use windows 10 I have had endless problems.

Simon Connor

Return to “General”