Expression Note / VST Expression Cubase versions

Interested in Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 or Cubase Elements 8? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!

Expression Note / VST Expression Cubase versions

Post by stelvio » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:56 am

I'm currently using another DAW but I'm looking into switching to Cubase as I'm interested in Expression Note features as well as routing this per note modulations to my VST synths.

In this video someone shows Expression Note in Cubase 6
And here someone explains how to use this with other VSTs still in Cubase 6/7

Thats what I'm looking for. I was about to purchase Cubase Artist but didn't find those features in the trial version.
So I'm a little confused.

Which particular version of Cubase do I need? And which instruments? Do Retrologue 2 and the synths in Halion Sonic and Halion 5 support polyphonic per note glides?
Do other softwares support this too?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Forum Elder

Re: Expression Note / VST Expression Cubase versions

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Cubase Pro has the full Support of Expression Note.

Any VST3 supports this polyphonic glides, as far as I know.
Martin Jirsak

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)

Grand Senior Member

Re: Expression Note / VST Expression Cubase versions

Post by vic_france » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:31 am

Martin.Jirsak wrote:Hi,
Any VST3 supports this polyphonic glides, as far as I know.
let's not confuse polyphonic glides (portamento) with polyphonic pitchbend ;).
Pitchbending individual notes within a chord is only possible with VST 3.5 (i.e. specifically Note-Expression-ready) instruments, such as the Steinberg range (HALion family, Retrologue, Padshop etc.), as used in that excellent video.
Please note that these are specific extra parameters, that are not the same as standard MIDI controllers and MIDI Pitchbend (although these latter can also make use of Note Expression.. see ** below). In fact, the Note Expression parameter here is called "Tuning" and not "Pitch" ;).
** But Note Expression can also be used (on any VST instrument, including VST2 ;) ) as an alternative method of editing/creating regular CC# and pitchbend data. While the data editing/creating method is the same as for true Note Expression data from the GUI point of view, it doesn't perform miracles!... If you draw regular pitchbend (or a regular MIDI CC) as Note Expression on an individual note within a chord, it is still only channel data, and will therefore act upon any other notes that are playing on that same MIDI channel.

As for polyphonic glide (portamento), that depends entirely upon the Instrument in question. Most instruments do offer portamento, but some (maybe even most?) only have it available when the patch is mono, and deactivates when the patch is poly. Others will indeed allow gliding from note to note within a chord on a "voice assignment" basis.. but not under the control of the player.. it will just glide to the next note that has been allocated the same voice. The only MIDI-controllable parameter here (other than on/off) is portamento speed.
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

Return to “Presales”