Improve the default metronome sounds

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 can be posted here.
ZeroZero

Improve the default metronome sounds

Post by ZeroZero » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:48 am

The current metronome sounds completely screw any enjoyable listening - invasive sterile bleeps. Now I know that you can customise this with audio files, but although I have gazillians of samples, its surprisingly hard to find the right sounds. Please by default, have a couple of audio files - perhaps of sticks as default. Something ear friendly and acoustic sound based

Z
Cubase 9, 64 bit Intel 8700k, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM PC, Win10, Focusrite Liquid 56 Running in Surround 5.1 British Rail sandwich circa 1967, a singing fish and an inert K9.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Zero_Zero

Atanaz

Re: Improve the default metronome sounds

Post by Atanaz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:22 pm

ZeroZero wrote:its surprisingly hard to find the right sounds
Well, it's a matter of taste, isn't it? Also, there's no guarantee that you'll like what Steinberg will come up with. :)
Although, I agree that they could've put in some sounds.

ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Have a go yourself Atanaz, its harder than you think. The ear is accustomed to sounds like drummers counting in with sticks, (you need two stick audio files for this) but many other sounds just wont do.
Cubase 9, 64 bit Intel 8700k, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM PC, Win10, Focusrite Liquid 56 Running in Surround 5.1 British Rail sandwich circa 1967, a singing fish and an inert K9.

Atanaz

Post by Atanaz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:28 pm

ZeroZero wrote:Have a go yourself Atanaz, its harder than you think.
I have already found my perfect sound - it's kind of a side stick action to be precise. 8-) Lucky me!
Bleeps drived me crazy too.

ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:07 pm

More: When you open the metronome set up and choose a sound you dont get media bay but instead an ald school windows dialogue box. As soon as you click on a sound the metronome stops, so you can't effectively audition. To get to test drive the sound you have to close the dialogue, then start again. Things could be slicker

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:24 am

I also hate that pitched beep. It really feels like torture. But I think some drummers like it, because it stands out from the drum sounds.

Here's what I've been using for a gazillion years. I do not remember where it comes from, but it sounds a bit like an old school metronome from the 1950's. It's zipped for freshness.
Attachments
click.zip
(20.06 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface
hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

david_d

Post by david_d » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:27 pm

I agree that the default metronome sound shouldn't be pitched. It's distracting when composing - sorta like somebody's in the room humming a different tune. A simple percussive 'click' is my personal preference. However, it's not a big deal - the option to replace with my own WAVs was perfectly acceptable.
Master of Music Business and Technology, Berklee College of Music

silviastef

Post by silviastef » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:07 pm

There is no sound on that Earch that will fit anyone's taste, so the only (main) problem of the current metronom sound is ... that is not customisable.
2 options to insert your own sounds (for accent and not accent time) and all problems will be solved

david_d

Post by david_d » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:40 pm

silviastef wrote:2 options to insert your own sounds (for accent and not accent time) and all problems will be solved
Forgive me, but I believe that feature is already implemented - at least, it is in Cubase Pro 8.5. As I mentioned in my prior post, I was able to specify my own WAV files for accent and non-accent. Easy-peasy. I hope this is helpful.
Master of Music Business and Technology, Berklee College of Music

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:39 am

Just remember to edit the start point of the samples, even a few milliseconds can make a huge difference.
I use the metronome sounds from an old drum computer when I record myself, I switch to the built in sounds when recording bands. Simply because it is such an annoying sound that cuts through all the loud guitars :-)
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”