Velocity views in Key Editor: shaded for layers

With so many sample libraries that don’t let you know where one layer finishes and the next begins, it would be great if the velocity view in Key Editor showed some kind of coloured banding per layer. No more hunt and peck

Z

It would certainly be a useful visual indication, but, for one thing, Cubase itself would have no idea where one layer ended and the next one began, so the best one could really hope for would be to customize velocity colors according to ranges that we could set manually (rather like the setup for Preferences>Metering>Appearance :wink: )… and, even if Steinberg did add that, there would currently be only one such color map per Project (or maybe they could at least allow to store color map settings.

You may be right Vic, I don’t really understand what is VST(3) and what is not passed to VST. Surely though, if Cubase is instructed how to play a patch (say between the range of 10-30 velocity, it should also know that the range is set to that?
Z

Cubase merely sends MIDI data (here, specifically, velocity) to the instrument… what that instrument does with that data is its own business :wink:.

Hi Vic,

Yes I see what you mean. Expression maps displays articulations in the key editor though, these are simply patches too. We may think of them as ‘different’ patches, but essentially they are the same as the layers we find in multilayered instruments.
I suppose this has to do with patch change messages being sent for articulation changes, but not for velocity changes?

A slot from an Expression Map can be sent, containing a velocity range, but not triggered by a velocity range… you can only trigger a slot from either a remote note-on (non-velocity-sensitive), or from a Program Change… so, if you have enough remote keys available (leaving you with enough “regular” notes to actually play something! :wink: ), you could trigger, say, three velocity ranges from three separate trigger notes.