Groups could become 'group folders' - powerful!

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 can be posted here.
ZeroZero

Groups could become 'group folders' - powerful!

Post by ZeroZero » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:34 pm

The concept of folders and the concept of groups can be merged.
In this concept, when a folder is created it could have the option of becoming a special kind of folder I am calling a 'group folder' - think cross between a folder and a group.

In these special folders any track (or sub folder) that strays into it gets its routing dominated by the folder, until it leaves again.

So, you create yourself a folder and you call it 'brass'. You have another folder called trumpets - with three or four trumpets in it, and a few stray instrument tracks called - trombone, Tuba, you get the picture. As soon as the track or folder enters the group folder, the routing gets hijacked by the 'group folder', just like a fly in a web. When a track leaves this folder it's former routing is restored. If it is dragged from one group folder to another, it takes the routing of the last group folder.
The group folder has a destination route for all its instruments (just like a group).
No more fiddling around with group routings, the folder takes care of it, simply by dragging. You just dream up your group folders : strings, brass, guitars, vocals, then drag your instruments in. SO EASY!
Such group folders could be tiered, simply by making one group folders output point to another.

Genius! ??

Z
Cubase 9, 64 bit Intel 5820K Corei7, Asus x99a, 32 gig RAM PC, Win10, Focusrite Liquid 56 Running in Surround 5.1 British Rail sandwich circa 1967, a singing fish and an inert K9.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Zero_Zero

LarsErik

Re: Groups could become 'group folders' - powerful!

Post by LarsErik » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:37 pm

I like it.
Cubase 10 Pro, WaveLab Pro 9.5, Windows 10 (64bit)
RME-Audio UCX, Intel Core I7 3930K 3.20GHZ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX

ResonantMind

Post by ResonantMind » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:32 am

ZeroZero wrote:The concept of folders and the concept of groups can be merged.
In this concept, when a folder is created it could have the option of becoming a special kind of folder I am calling a 'group folder' - think cross between a folder and a group.

In these special folders any track (or sub folder) that strays into it gets its routing dominated by the folder, until it leaves again.

So, you create yourself a folder and you call it 'brass'. You have another folder called trumpets - with three or four trumpets in it, and a few stray instrument tracks called - trombone, Tuba, you get the picture. As soon as the track or folder enters the group folder, the routing gets hijacked by the 'group folder', just like a fly in a web. When a track leaves this folder it's former routing is restored. If it is dragged from one group folder to another, it takes the routing of the last group folder.
The group folder has a destination route for all its instruments (just like a group).
No more fiddling around with group routings, the folder takes care of it, simply by dragging. You just dream up your group folders : strings, brass, guitars, vocals, then drag your instruments in. SO EASY!
Such group folders could be tiered, simply by making one group folders output point to another.

Genius! ??

Z
Haha, we pretty much posted the exact same concept of idea/request 2 hours apart.
viewtopic.php?f=228&t=105974
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-11-20 02.30.29.png
(227.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet

estrica2000

Post by estrica2000 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:57 pm

that is an old Feature Request which makes a lot of sense, and that i wish will be available soon in cubase 9.
so +1
OSX Mavericks, Cubase 7.5.4 64 bit

wavefunktion

Post by wavefunktion » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:39 am

+1 decent idea indeed. This would also make the Track Pane more tidy as the "Group Folder" could just nest all the tracks directly into / underneath it instead of needing to have the Group Track placed in a folder too. Also generally less clicks and clacks to setup groups too.

Worth Steinbergs Attention.
DAW: Cubase Pro 8 v8.0.30.536 (64bit) & Cubase Pro 8 v8.5.20 (64bit)
CPU: i7 960 Bloomfield (Turbo & C1E disabled)
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E x58 Chipset 1366 Socket (BIOS v701)
Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX970 - Driver v373.06
RAM: 12GB Corsair Dominator (CMP12GX3M3A1600C9)
HDD: Samsung EVO SSD 1TB (MZ-75E1T0)
Audio Interface: RME Fireface UCX - Driver v1.095 Rev 46
PSU: Corsair AX860 (CP-9020044-AU)
Network Adapter: Intel Gigabit CT PCIe (EXPI9301CT)
My Youtube Steinberg Cubase v8.0.30 Bugs, Errors & Performance Reporting Channel
My Youtube Steinberg Cubase v8.5.20 Bugs, Errors & Performance Reporting Channel
My Youtube Steinberg Cubase v8.5.20 Feature Requests & Suggestions
"I just wanna make music & have fun doing so..."

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”