16 inserts per track

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 can be posted here.
McBass

Re: 16 inserts per track

Post by McBass » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:45 pm

+1 to 16 (or more) inserts and yes, add Freeze Points ala Traction to freeze at any point in the insert chain.
i7 4770k | Asus Z87 mobo | 16GB RAM | GeForce - GTX760 | UAD-2 Octo | Apollo Twin mkII quad | RME Multiface PCIe + Lynx Hilo | Panorama P6 | Mackie MCU | CC121 | CMC Ai | CMC Pd | MOTU midi128

Windows 10 pro | Cubase Pro 10 & 9.5 | Wavelab 9.5 Elements | Halion 5 | RND Portico | Melodyne Studio 4 | Slate Digital | UAD | Sonnox | Soundtoys | FabFilter | Brainworx | Waves | IK Multimedia | XLN Audio | iZotope & many more plug-ins...it's madness!

Audiocave

Post by Audiocave » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Random $0.02...

Here's an example of using 9 inserts on a single channel in Studio One. People who say ... "If you're using that many plugins on a channel... yada, yada..." ... don't take into account things like this. I have other parallel plugin chains with more than 9 plugins. Having any artificial limit on the number of inserts (or sends) is an outdated concept.

NoMad92

Post by NoMad92 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:50 pm

+16
Win10 creator 64bit, 16gb, i5-2550
DAW: Cubase 10.5
Hardware: Steinberg UR 12, Nektar Panorama P4, Akai MPD226
VSTs: UVI Falcon, VPS Avenger, Sylenth1

McBass

Post by McBass » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:04 am

Yeah, and notice in that image you can tab between all the insert plugins on that channel without having to open and close plugin windows! I want that, no, need that in Cubase.
i7 4770k | Asus Z87 mobo | 16GB RAM | GeForce - GTX760 | UAD-2 Octo | Apollo Twin mkII quad | RME Multiface PCIe + Lynx Hilo | Panorama P6 | Mackie MCU | CC121 | CMC Ai | CMC Pd | MOTU midi128

Windows 10 pro | Cubase Pro 10 & 9.5 | Wavelab 9.5 Elements | Halion 5 | RND Portico | Melodyne Studio 4 | Slate Digital | UAD | Sonnox | Soundtoys | FabFilter | Brainworx | Waves | IK Multimedia | XLN Audio | iZotope & many more plug-ins...it's madness!

Egoadsr

Post by Egoadsr » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Personnaly i rarely use all the 8 inserts slots, but if i have to, i can send the track to another group allowing to had 8 more inserts on the chain.
Or you can eventually think about using this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhfO9yYNlJY
It's free, but it's still in beta phase...
Cubase v9.5 + some plugs +a soundcard + midi controllers + little guitars + a pair of M-audio BX5d3 + some good headphones + a good laptop to run Cubase ( this mythological sound software that make me believing when i was young it was an excalibur made by the gods of sound ).

Razzia

Post by Razzia » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:31 pm

WillfullyDamned wrote:Everyone here needs to lose their tolerant mindset for this lazy kind of crap on their part.
Yeah, this is what I find even more shocking than the 8 plugin limitation. I see people in here attacking others for asking for the most basic things. Lazy? Entitled? Really?

I just switched to Cubase from Studio One due to cpu consumption problems that S1 was causing. I figured Cubase would be the most like it since they sort of have the same roots, but of course I couldn't demo it because I didn't have an eLicenser and I must have missed this info if it's on the comparison chart. This is burdensome for anyone who, like me, wants to do sound design and mixing while keeping all my plugins online in case I decide to change something.

Fortunately I use another DAW for production and got Cubase mostly for recording, comping and mixing, but I'm of course intrigued by the idea of using it for some production as well given the extensive midi capabilities. An 8 plugin per track limit is a huge minus though. Sometimes I want a couple different distortions in parallel. Sometimes I play with an idea for some effect or modulation and decide to disable it but want to keep it around in case I change my mind. Sometimes I need to add (gasp) an entire insert for a very subtle effect or use two compressors in serial. Sometimes I need to add a little utility plugin to do some gain trimming between inserts. I don't want to have three tracks side by side for the same thing, nor do I want to be told that it's excessive or lazy by people who take personal offense to criticism of the tool they use to make music (how ridiculous. get yourself an identity).

As I'm learning the ropes of Cubase I find myself feeling utterly wowed by certain inclusions, workflow and workspace considerations, detailed options, etc. And then I run head first into a "how in the blue hell is it like this in 2016" moment and my enthusiasm dulls a bit.
Cubase Pro 9 / Ableton Live 9 Suite / Ableton Push 2 / Novation LaunchKey 25 / Steinberg CMC-CH
Audient iD4 / ART Voice Channel
Win 10 Pro x64 / i7 6700k / 200 GB SSD / 2TB HDD / 16 GB RAM

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:48 pm

Better go for *unlimited*, as when we could have 16, suddenly everyone want's 32, just being to greedy ;-)

But seriously, if it won't break the audio engine, then why not?

Anyhow I see myself tweaking the 16 insert track .................... with huge latency!
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:53 pm

That's the only thing I care about really, LATENCY. Cubase is already getting less and less tactile version after version
I just want to be cautious for cluttered and slughish interfaces.
Cubase needs to get into shape not binge out on options.
But if it can be done while not affecting anything above, why not.

I have my personal opinion on workflow, but if people really want to mix and match that many plugs, it their call, not mine.
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Razzia

Post by Razzia » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:08 pm

Raphie wrote:That's the only thing I care about really, LATENCY. Cubase is already getting less and less tactile version after version

I have my personal opinion on workflow, but if people really want to mix and match that many plugs, it their call, not mine.
Could you educate me, please, on what it has to do with latency? Not a loaded or sarcastic question. I'm genuinely curious.

I mean, obviously running loads of plugins will introduce more latency unless they are zero-latency plugs, but unless that's what you're referring to, how does the capability to load 16+ plugins affect latency at all? The Cubase UI already (smartly) adjusts to show only as many insert slots as needed, and the inclusion of quick-access menus (and, if you assign them as I have, keyboard shortcuts) to show/hide tracks or slots in the mixer seems to be designed with the intention of keeping things clutter free. It's a brilliant way to work and I haven't seen it done as effectively in any other DAW, so I don't see clutter being an issue
Cubase Pro 9 / Ableton Live 9 Suite / Ableton Push 2 / Novation LaunchKey 25 / Steinberg CMC-CH
Audient iD4 / ART Voice Channel
Win 10 Pro x64 / i7 6700k / 200 GB SSD / 2TB HDD / 16 GB RAM

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:46 pm

Razzia wrote:
Raphie wrote:That's the only thing I care about really, LATENCY. Cubase is already getting less and less tactile version after version

Could you educate me, please, on what it has to do with latency? Not a loaded or sarcastic question. I'm genuinely curious.

I mean, obviously running loads of plugins will introduce more latency unless they are zero-latency plugs, but unless that's what you're referring to, how does the capability to load 16+ plugins affect latency at all? The Cubase UI already (smartly) adjusts to show only as many insert slots as needed, and the inclusion of quick-access menus (and, if you assign them as I have, keyboard shortcuts) to show/hide tracks or slots in the mixer seems to be designed with the intention of keeping things clutter free. It's a brilliant way to work and I haven't seen it done as effectively in any other DAW, so I don't see clutter being an issue
plugins can add latency, it differs per plugin, you are right (now overthinking this myself) that aditional empty slots don't add latency.
My concern is that a lot of users already have pops and crackles without a solution in Cubase 8.x, where they had no issues on 7 or below, those need to be fixed first. before bulking up further.
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi, when just doing playback Cubase can compensate latency so with 16 plugins inserted there won't be latency.

However when adjusting the inserts you will get lag, the modification you just made will be with latency, how big is unknown untill we have 16 inserts to try.

I know this as with 8 inserts I really hear latency regarding my tweaks when doing these live.
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

digitalson

Post by digitalson » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:20 am

Well as for sends I use them if I run out of the cues.....like if I'm tracking a band that needs 8 different phone mixes...
i7 ,64gb 1866 mem x79 chipset, ssd os,4 x ssd drives raid 0 motu pci 96 ins and outs @96k for external gear
tons of vintage outboard gear 3 monitors and 42" LCD for spotting to film
Windows 7 pro 64 sp1
Gtx 780 ,all liquid cooled CPU overclocked to 4 ghz

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”