16 inserts per track

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 can be posted here.
Frozenwave

Re: 16 inserts per track

Post by Frozenwave » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:06 pm

Oh and if you think that fx like eqs, compressors, or even plugins like Effectrix deliver unpredictable results, than you are a ridiculous noob :lol:

Raphie

16 inserts per track

Post by Raphie » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:35 pm

No one got served, actually working with Steven on something he will leverage and share soon. What's wrong with you? How old are u? Please do use whatever you like using, I have no problem with that. I just don't want to look at 16 inserts all the time.. No one except you is talking about unpredictable results btw, freudian slip of the tongue maybe? :)
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Frozenwave

Post by Frozenwave » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:20 pm

Of course you got your arse served. You stepped in the room and said that plugins sound s.hit and then you got your pants stripped off and kicked out. You made a fool of yourself.

And there was no freudian slip, you said that a chain like this has nothing to do with vision and sounddesign, both things that depend on plans and predictability.

But all you really said is that YOU are the noob who can't foresee the possible outcome of a chain like this and that YOU are overwhelmed by such a rather simple chain.

See, comments like this or the "plugins sound plastic disaster" tell more about YOU than anyone else. :lol:

And it has already been suggested, that additional insert slots should be configurable, so that only people who want it get it. I would prefer this, too by the way. Adding additional slots one by one would be best. I think I never used 16 slots in a row but getting over 8 or even 6 pre fader slots is easy in my field.

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:02 pm

You have a bit of a skewed perspective on reality. Also has it got nothing to do with this topic. But at least it's good we agree on the +1, just out of interest, what is your field?
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000

Audiocave

Post by Audiocave » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:13 pm

Peanut Gallery:

Bottom line, it's a completly unnecessary artificial limitation, any number, even 16. It doesn't even matter why somebody else might use a ton of plugins on one channel, that's their business. It's an artificial limitation that shouldn't exist in any pro workstation and actually doesn't exist in most of them. Any argument that ignores that very clear and simple fact is a distraction.

Inserts and sends should only be limited by how many the system can handle, not by any arbitrary numerical ceiling, and many - if not almost all? - professional audio workstations do exactly that. Arguing against that is... not logical... any way you look at it.

It's a holdover from the old SX days that needs to just completely go away at some point... and probably will.

/Peanut Gallery

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:30 pm

True, fully agree with you, the limitation is not needed, each to their own, as long as it doesn't affect cosmetics, performance or workflow I'm fine with any solution
Analogue Mastering

Audiocave

Post by Audiocave » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:17 pm

In compete fairness, I do give the Steinberg developers the benefit of the doubt and assume that they aren't clueless, that they certainly already know that those are artificial limitations that their flagship products should probably no longer have, and are most likely already planning to get out from under those limitations at some point in the future anyway.

Developers just mostly tend not to work on end users timetables.

rgrover

Post by rgrover » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 pm

I for one would definitely appreciate this feature, especially as there is no multi freeze or freeze available for group tracks.

As stated already, not everyone is using Cubase for bog standard mixing purposes.

Some of us are using it for sound design and this can mean the plugins in use can often easily exceed the 6 pre fader inserts currently available.

Licensetokill

Post by Licensetokill » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:09 pm

+ 1 million

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:55 pm

idea:
let the 2 POST INSERTS untouched!
enhancement: "6 to unlimited" PRE INSERTS by > scrollbar (!)

this is possible in MixConsole/each Channel,
and this possible in Channel Setting Window !

Opinions?

C.
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:01 pm

opinions? well... Use any plugin chainer plugin wherever you want and have unlimited inserts, pre and/or post, and even have any of your chains saved as ONE fx preset each...

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:25 pm

:mrgreen:
My slogan: In Pro Tools you have only 10 Insert Slots for all this stuff... ;-)
(Hi/Lo Cuts, Gain, Phase switch, Channel EQ, etc.must be separately inserted (!) = not included in PT´s mixer)
...Cubase has this all. ;-)
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:14 pm

Centralmusic wrote:idea:
let the 2 POST INSERTS untouched!
enhancement: "6 to unlimited" PRE INSERTS by > scrollbar (!)

this is possible in MixConsole/each Channel,
and this possible in Channel Setting Window !

Opinions?

C.
sounds good
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

Audiocave

Post by Audiocave » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:02 pm

This should end the debate, unless they delete the post. Here's my Drum Bus FX chain with 9 plugins on one channel doing parallel compression and reverb for the drums... and I'm not finished yet. I'll probably add a couple more plugins for muting the two sides.

One FX chain preset to get there.

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:38 am

Audiocave wrote:This should end the debate, unless they delete the post. Here's my Drum Bus FX chain with 9 plugins on one channel doing parallel compression and reverb for the drums... and I'm not finished yet. I'll probably add a couple more plugins for muting the two sides.

One FX chain preset to get there.

this also brings up the topic of PDC -- 3rd party plugin chainers as far as i know don't correctly report latency as you add plugins, so any parallel processing with existing material in the project using latency-inducing plugins in the 3rd party chainer will be impossible (unless you go on manually setting up arbitrary delays - not too user friendly). maybe someone someday at SB wakes up.
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

electrodrame

Post by electrodrame » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:44 am

+1 16 Inserts or a sub-insert system

digitalson

Post by digitalson » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:04 pm

what gets me more is why only 4 cue sends...what studio has a band with 4 people in it,,,also 4 monitors, i use 4 sets of monitors for mixing,not including the monitors in the studio tracking room,and we cant have 2 or more monitors on at the same time,i would love to have a seperete monitor switch jjust for the sub,so i can kick it on or off when i want,,,,,and back to the phones i had recorded a small string section once and everyone wanted there own phone mix,,,,,i went nuts doing that...make it a option of how many cues u want and monitors,,,,,hell i have 96 i/o i can have 8 cue sends!!!!!
i7 ,64gb 1866 mem x79 chipset, ssd os,4 x ssd drives raid 0 motu pci 96 ins and outs @96k for external gear
tons of vintage outboard gear 3 monitors and 42" LCD for spotting to film
Windows 7 pro 64 sp1
Gtx 780 ,all liquid cooled CPU overclocked to 4 ghz

TranceCrafter

Post by TranceCrafter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:42 pm

I'd be happy if we had 8 regular inserts and then 4 post fader inserts as opposed to the 2 we currently have. and if they could be collapsable/hidden so that you only see them when you use them.

honestly channels don't need a gazillion inserts, but to have freedom to explore a bit would be nice. and having more post fader inserts would be great to get some intereting changes to the sound without affecting things like volume and panning.

and if we had 8 regular inserts then people would probably be more happy about the amount of control they have at their disposal without having to resort to group channels. ;)

Frozenwave

Post by Frozenwave » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:22 pm

What I don't like about chainers is that you can't see what you have in them on the mixer view. I like to see everything first glance on the mixer view. As for parallel usage, another request here in the forum is to have a "mix knob" for every insert.

Accel0001

Post by Accel0001 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:37 am

lukasbrooklyn wrote:this also brings up the topic of PDC -- 3rd party plugin chainers as far as i know don't correctly report latency as you add plugins, so any parallel processing with existing material in the project using latency-inducing plugins in the 3rd party chainer will be impossible (unless you go on manually setting up arbitrary delays - not too user friendly). maybe someone someday at SB wakes up.
FYI,
Blue Cat's PatchWork
http://www.bluecataudio.com/Doc/Product ... troduction
Latency Compensation
Latency is also reported to the host application so that it can be compensated.
However, some hosts may require that the plug-in is deactivated and re-activated before the new latency is taken into account (Cubase, Sonar and Studio One for example).
Restarting transport may also be required (Pro Tools 10 and earlier for example).
This workaround may work for other chainers.

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:21 pm

Accel0001 wrote:
lukasbrooklyn wrote:this also brings up the topic of PDC -- 3rd party plugin chainers as far as i know don't correctly report latency as you add plugins, so any parallel processing with existing material in the project using latency-inducing plugins in the 3rd party chainer will be impossible (unless you go on manually setting up arbitrary delays - not too user friendly). maybe someone someday at SB wakes up.
FYI,
Blue Cat's PatchWork
http://www.bluecataudio.com/Doc/Product ... troduction
Latency Compensation
Latency is also reported to the host application so that it can be compensated.
However, some hosts may require that the plug-in is deactivated and re-activated before the new latency is taken into account (Cubase, Sonar and Studio One for example).
Restarting transport may also be required (Pro Tools 10 and earlier for example).
This workaround may work for other chainers.

ok, thanks. i was basing this on my experience with bidule, which is much more complex and modular and is harder to manage pdc-wise. with simple chainers like patchwork this is probably more streamlined. i should check it out.

Laserkraft

Post by Laserkraft » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:50 pm

+1

Don't know if sb mentiomed this already, but to make more insert slots unobstrusive, you could simply add them dynamically, one after the other.

Logic, for example starts with something like 4 isert slots (can't remember the exact number) and adds more slots automatically as you need them. So you basically always have one empty slot at the end. Also, inser slots are much smaller in Logic and take up less screen space.
C 9.5 / Win 10 Custom PC / OS X MacBook Pro

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:16 pm

C'mon people do you really use over the 8 insert per channel, or do you have a few channels which "need" more then 8 inserts?

It is not a smart plan to completely rewrite an engine just to have 2 channels out of the 32 able to insert more then 8 plugs, that's why the work-a-round with a second bus shouldn't be 2 hard to handle.
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

Laserkraft

Post by Laserkraft » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:48 pm

I guess it really depends on what you're doing. I could imagine many people, especially working with real recordings, don't need more. But with electronic music, sound design can involve lots of plug-ins on a single source.
C 9.5 / Win 10 Custom PC / OS X MacBook Pro

Grabber

Post by Grabber » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:54 pm

+1

While I have never ended up using 6-8 plugins on a channel ever, it is a GREAT way to compare different compressors, eq's etc.
More easy than to replace, adjust settings, replace, adjust settings etc.
Load as many you want, set their settings respectively, and turn them on/off in quick succession.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”