PLEASE eliminate hovering in the mixer!

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 can be posted here.
BriHar

Re: PLEASE eliminate hovering in the mixer!

Post by BriHar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:50 pm

Has anyone tried altering the hovering delay using Regedit: HKey_Current_User/Control Panel/Mouse/MouseHovertime
This you might find useful if the popups bother you. Just adjust the response time (windows restart required!)? ;)

@MSY Let's be fair, this is the Cubase 8 forum, your example portrays the behaviour as it was in Cubase 7.5. In Cubase 8 the controls are are displayed as soon as the mouse is on the slot, and is much better.
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase Pro 8.5.15 - 64bit | Cubase AI8 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

msy

Post by msy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:13 pm

BriHar wrote:Has anyone tried altering the hovering delay using Regedit: HKey_Current_User/Control Panel/Mouse/MouseHovertime
This you might find useful if the popups bother you. Just adjust the response time (windows restart required!)? ;)

@MSY Let's be fair, this is the Cubase 8 forum, your example portrays the behaviour as it was in Cubase 7.5. In Cubase 8 the controls are are displayed as soon as the mouse is on the slot, and is much better.
Ok, good to know that they "fixed" one of the issues. :)
I also wanted to show that the clickable areas are LARGER than the graphics that represent the buttons. I click outside the button but still get the buttons function (in my example it bypasses the SoftClip plugin instead of opening the "choose plugin"-menu where I have UAD EMT 140 inserted...). Has that changed also?
Cubase Pro 9.5.41 on Windows 7 using jBridge for 32bit plugins
HALion 6.3
Soundcard: RME Digiface USB with ADA8200
DAW: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz |
ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung EVO SSD 250GB | 2x2TB SATA2 | Geforce 460Ti
Computer related hardware: UAD-2 Duo, Behringer BCF2000 (MCU), Nord Lead 4, Eurorack (12U) via ES3/ADAT

BriHar

Post by BriHar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:43 pm

Yes that too has been improved, as soon as the mouse is over the specific slot, all controls become visible.
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Cubase Pro 8.5.15 - 64bit | Cubase AI8 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

silhouette

Post by silhouette » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:39 am

I have said this before. A preference option to allow the buttons to be visible or hidden. Better yet, a button on the menu bar to toggle between the two states. Surely then everyone would be happy.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 8.1 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 8.5.20/9.0.1 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 10 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

BriHar

Post by BriHar » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:57 am

Trying to imagine having all these controls visible constantly - a ghastly sight. I guess they could redesign all the control graphics, they'd have to in order to make this work as an option, and that means it's not just a simple fix, and will require resources ... actually I'd rather they spend more time on fixing the actual bugs and addressing the real issues.
This is not an issue, it is, as the foregoing 4 pages show, an opinion dispute. Not saying it shouldn't be considered, but first when the fixes have been made.

StrangeDaysOnEarth

Post by StrangeDaysOnEarth » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:41 am

Adding my voice to the AWFUL hovering situation on the mixer. Very sad.
soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/strangedaysonearth
facebook: www.facebook.com/strangedaysonearth
itunes: www.itunes.apple.com/strangedaysonearth

| iMac 5K 27" 4.2GHz i7, 24GB RAM, 1TB SSD | LaCie RAID |
| Mac OSX.13.6 | Cubase 10.0.10 | Wavelab Pro 9.0.3 | Halion 5.1.1 |
| CMC-TP | CMC-QC | Steinberg UR22 | RME FF400 | MOTU Midi Express 128 |

McBass

Post by McBass » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:20 am

+1 but the problem is much deeper than just eliminating hovering. The design philosophy is a mess. The infinitely resizable sections and channels in the mixer is the basis of this problem. There is no need. Pick a couple of useful track widths for example and no need to tidy up the overcrowded mixer with disappearing buttons. Get rid of the tabbed sections and scrolling to see hidden things. Ahhh! If I was to design it I would do something like...want to use the Eq section hit the EQ tab and the entire upper mixer section shows just the mixer EQs. Want to work on rack effects.. The entire section becomes the rack effect section. This constant resizing, opening and closing tabbed nonsense drives me nuts. But yes the worst part in the hovering nonsense. Constantly clicking in the wrong spot and opening the preset menu or plugin menu instead of opening plugins.
i7 4770k | Asus Z87 mobo | 16GB RAM | GeForce - GTX760 | UAD-2 Octo | Apollo Twin mkII quad | RME Multiface PCIe + Lynx Hilo | Panorama P6 | Mackie MCU | CC121 | CMC Ai | CMC Pd | MOTU midi128

Windows 10 pro | Cubase Pro 10 & 9.5 | Wavelab 9.5 Elements | Halion 5 | RND Portico | Melodyne Studio 4 | Slate Digital | UAD | Sonnox | Soundtoys | FabFilter | Brainworx | Waves | IK Multimedia | XLN Audio | iZotope & many more plug-ins...it's madness!

mpayne0

Re: PLEASE eliminate hovering in the mi

Post by mpayne0 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:59 pm

tekniq wrote:
and we are 30.000 Users. thats 1000 $ each. doesnt sound so unrealistic?

lets buy it and make it good again! I want always on top mixer and no hover.. thats all for it now. would be worth 1000$ for me - if I had a share of SB too that gave me some $ every year!! I would do it.. its a no-brainer!

actually I consider a user driven Cubase much better - because we actually WORK with it! I think the user numbers would rise too! it would be the best DAW on the market ;)

just imagine: 1000$ for your perfect Cubase version? easy worth it.. its even cheaper than nuendo ^^
:lol: Do you know how bad this would get?

It would take 5 years to come to an agreement on how much of a loss we're willing to absorb in trying to sell it back to Yamaha. :D

hillbrad3wn

Post by hillbrad3wn » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:23 pm

+1 to this being a horribly annoying problem. I completely agree with buzzlegs that anyone (whether you want to call it a pro or not) who has been using Cubase for 8 to 12 hours a day for the last 10 years will be sick at using this new feature on the mix window of hovering. If someone says they don't mind the .2 seconds of extra time then they clearly are not a professional and fast user...case closed on that in my opinion.

Steinberg, get some real working professionals to try out your product before you release it.

Brad

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:05 am

hillbrad3wn wrote:+1 to this being a horribly annoying problem. I completely agree with buzzlegs that anyone (whether you want to call it a pro or not) who has been using Cubase for 8 to 12 hours a day for the last 10 years will be sick at using this new feature on the mix window of hovering. If someone says they don't mind the .2 seconds of extra time then they clearly are not a professional and fast user...case closed on that in my opinion.

Steinberg, get some real working professionals to try out your product before you release it.

Brad
Bear in mind though that having a cleaner interface can save time, so microseconds lost due to one design decision can have a knock on effect of saving microseconds elsewhere.

Do you think they didn't consult any pro users before they made the change, and/or that all pro users must agree with you in bemoaning the design choice?
Windows 10 / Cubase Pro 9.5 x64

Jeff Hayat

Post by Jeff Hayat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:58 pm

hillbrad3wn wrote:+ If someone says they don't mind the .2 seconds of extra time then they clearly are not a professional and fast user...case closed on that in my opinion.
I am sorry, but I find posts like this irritating. It's the "my way is right, and everyone else is wrong" attitude.

So, ready or not, here you go:

I am a professional (I make money using Cubase, and this all I do), and I consider myself pretty fast as well.

See? So, now you have someone who doesn't mind the .2 seconds of extra time who is clearly a professional and fast user. This renders your argument - and everyone else's similar argument - irrelevant. Case closed on that in my opinion.

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:11 pm

Jeff Hayat wrote:
hillbrad3wn wrote:+ If someone says they don't mind the .2 seconds of extra time then they clearly are not a professional and fast user...case closed on that in my opinion.
I am sorry, but I find posts like this irritating. It's the "my way is right, and everyone else is wrong" attitude.

So, ready or not, here you go:

I am a professional (I make money using Cubase, and this all I do), and I consider myself pretty fast as well.

See? So, now you have someone who doesn't mind the .2 seconds of extra time who is clearly a professional and fast user. This renders your argument - and everyone else's similar argument - irrelevant. Case closed on that in my opinion.
Exactly!

Regarding the "0.2 second delay", has that timing even been verified? I've heard others say in the past it's a 0.1 second delay. To be honest i've never felt I had to wait on it in a way that slowed me down in any way.

I notice the likes of Logic Pro X has a similar hover function, but rather than spacing the buttons out over the edges like in Cubase it coverts the entire slot into 3 small buttons, which I observe people misclicking as well, so i'm not sure what the best solution is.

McBass

Post by McBass » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:38 pm

I still say the problem is in the infinitely resizable sections in the mixer. Why do we need this? Pick a 2 or 3 useful sizes and go from there. Then you don't have to worry about buttons overlapping adjacent channels, random resizing display/GPU issues, etc. I don't mind the overall look of the GUI, it is the implementation and work flow that is a mess. Is Steinberg getting there? Maybe, but just too darn slowly, IMO.
i7 4770k | Asus Z87 mobo | 16GB RAM | GeForce - GTX760 | UAD-2 Octo | Apollo Twin mkII quad | RME Multiface PCIe + Lynx Hilo | Panorama P6 | Mackie MCU | CC121 | CMC Ai | CMC Pd | MOTU midi128

Windows 10 pro | Cubase Pro 10 & 9.5 | Wavelab 9.5 Elements | Halion 5 | RND Portico | Melodyne Studio 4 | Slate Digital | UAD | Sonnox | Soundtoys | FabFilter | Brainworx | Waves | IK Multimedia | XLN Audio | iZotope & many more plug-ins...it's madness!

Jeff Hayat

Post by Jeff Hayat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:12 pm

hillbrad3wn wrote:+
Regarding the "0.2 second delay", has that timing even been verified? I've heard others say in the past it's a 0.1 second delay. To be honest i've never felt I had to wait on it in a way that slowed me down in any way.
Yeah - I don't really know. At this point, I am so familiar w/Cubase, I don't need to hover over anything to find out what it does. And when I move my mouse over a button to press it, the balloon doesn't pop up b/c I click right away.

I am still baffled by what the issue is here. I have read almost every post in this thread, and still can not understand why people have a problem with this. Unless something has changed so drastically in v8 - which I do not have...

That said, I would certainly not be opposed to an option that turns the balloons off; I just don't see SB investing the resources here.

Cheers.

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Jeff Hayat wrote:
hillbrad3wn wrote:+
Yeah - I don't really know. At this point, I am so familiar w/Cubase, I don't need to hover over anything to find out what it does. And when I move my mouse over a button to press it, the balloon doesn't pop up b/c I click right away.

I am still baffled by what the issue is here. I have read almost every post in this thread, and still can not understand why people have a problem with this. Unless something has changed so drastically in v8 - which I do not have...

That said, I would certainly not be opposed to an option that turns the balloons off; I just don't see SB investing the resources here.

Cheers.
It's not tooltips people are talking about. It's the buttons that only appear when you move the cursor over the likes of an insert slot. (i.e. the ones you use to turn on/off the insert, choose the insert etc)

Jeff Hayat

Post by Jeff Hayat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:06 pm

Oh - wait a sec... we aren't talking about this:
Attachments
hover.jpg
(4.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Jeff Hayat wrote:Oh - wait a sec... we aren't talking about this:
Indeed, as I say, that's a tool tip.

Jeff Hayat

Post by Jeff Hayat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:45 pm

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH, ok, well if that's the case, then I apologize here. I thought this is what we were all talking about.

So yeah, I can see this as being annoying. But I still say it should be a pref.

Cheers.

sonic74

Post by sonic74 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:55 pm

+1
Back to good old Cubase 9.5 / intel 5960x @ 4GHz / asus x99 deluxe / 64gb ddr4 @ 3000MHz / vst connect pro / vsl ensemble pro 5 / korg nanokontrol2 / spl 2control / behringer bcf-2000 / lynx aes-16e / lynx aurora 16vt / uad quad / neumann kh310 / genelec 8050a / too many plugins

patcub

Post by patcub » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Hovering is no show stopper for me, but yes it could be removed and I wouldn't miss it, for sure. So +1.

Dewi32

Post by Dewi32 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:27 am

+1

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:46 pm

To eliminate hovering I would like to use key modifiers. For ex. Ctrl+Click = Bypass Insert, Alt+Click = Activate/Deactivate Insert, Right Click = Replace Insert, etc.

In this case we would be free from all those knobs at all and wherever I click I open Insert Effect Editor or Click with a modifier will lead to appropriate function. No hunting for knobs and areas, no pop-ups.

To see all parameter's values - another button on the tool bar and of course key command.

Cheers.
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

dolomick

Post by dolomick » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:39 pm

I dislike the hover UI design choice. Good user interface design should not have "hidden" functionality. I often misclick or miss the required area. Really bad design IMO.

wilcofan

Post by wilcofan » Fri May 08, 2015 8:13 pm

It's bad when I watch someone hover and they suddenly appear. So they move their mouse to make them go away.

It's worse when I do it myself.
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 | HP Envy 15

Raphie

PLEASE eliminate hovering in the mixer!

Post by Raphie » Sat May 09, 2015 6:26 am

I don't need values, a bar is far more tactile, i could't care less if a send in on -4.31dB or - 4.29dB if it sounds good it is good I DO want to keep seeing the current level bars in the sends though, they work GREAT so yes please keep AS IS, nitpicking over 0,01dB is not pro, if you need visual confirmation because you can't hear it, that's amateur......
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”