Range Selection Tool in Key editor window

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 can be posted here.
DJPredator

Range Selection Tool in Key editor window

Post by DJPredator »

My request: The Range Selection Tool (tool next to the arrow ;)) also available in the Key editor window.

Really love this tool, copy /paste / dubpicate your selection with all automations and controller data, use it a lot to arrange my songs.

But do miss this option in the key editor, it's would be nice to select and copy and repeat a selected part of a melody (midi notes) with or without all the modulation / pitchbend / controller data and easily duplicate it :)

Regards,

Steph
It's the silence between the notes that makes the music ;)

-steve-
External Moderator

Re: Range Selection Tool in Key editor window

Post by -steve- »

The Auto-Select Controllers button in the Key Editor toolbar does just that. Activate it and controllers are selected along with notes, deactivate it and they are not.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

DJPredator

Post by DJPredator »

But can you also select just a part of the melody and duplicate this like the in the ableton key editor?

So no legato notes but like grid copy. So empty space at the end will be copied too

Normally when you select notes and press ctrl+d they appear right after the last note, but if you could use a selection tool you can copy/duplicate the selection like in the arrangement
It's the silence between the notes that makes the music ;)

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn »

+1

auto-select controllers helps a bit, but more importantnly i think a function that lets the user select an arbitrary portion of 'empty space' along with notes, and then paste that elsewhere (much like it works in the arrange), is needed.

it happens all the time that i need to copy a section of notes that, for instance, don't start on the grid, and don't end at the end of a measure. simply copying and pasting will place the new iterations of the MIDI notes directly following the original version, which is almost never intended. using the range tool would be a big time saver (as opposed to having to use the 'grid-relative' mode to achieve this).
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Post by vic_france »

a big "+1" from me too :)..
The only way to include silence at the beginning or end of a selection is by means of the Range tool!
Fortunately, in most cases we can get what is needed by using the Range tool in the the In-Place Editor.
Last edited by vic_france on Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

DJPredator wrote:So no legato notes but like grid copy. So empty space at the end will be copied too
Well color me corrected! :oops: I didn't think that through.

+1 - I have even looked for the range tool in the Key Editor more than once.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

mozizo

Post by mozizo »

Big +1
cubase 10.5 pro ,halion 6 GA5 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

+1
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

tepa

Post by tepa »

lukasbrooklyn wrote:+1

auto-select controllers helps a bit, but more importantnly i think a function that lets the user select an arbitrary portion of 'empty space' along with notes, and then paste that elsewhere (much like it works in the arrange), is needed.

it happens all the time that i need to copy a section of notes that, for instance, don't start on the grid, and don't end at the end of a measure. simply copying and pasting will place the new iterations of the MIDI notes directly following the original version, which is almost never intended. using the range tool would be a big time saver (as opposed to having to use the 'grid-relative' mode to achieve this).
Exactly I agreed too.

I wonder why that range selection tool is not available in the Key editor. I'm using it a lot for automation and i wish to edit my midi CC line in the key editor the same way without to go in In-Place Editor each time I need to duplicate some grid interval.
When i have to copy a specific midi CC line between few of them, In-Place Editor is not the perfect tool for that purpose compare to the Key Editor.

A big + 1 for me too.
Nuendo 10 (last version) / Cubase 9 / Win Pro 10 / i9-9900K 4.8 Ghz / RAM 32G / RME UFX / RME FF800 / UAD 2 (1 Octo & 1 Quad) / SSD / nVIDIA

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock »

+1 very useful idea. Suprised I missed it last June when it was originally posted.

Regards. 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5.20, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

Prock wrote:+1 very useful idea. Surprised I missed it last June when it was originally posted.

Regards. 8-)
Well, its been a shame for a long time that the Range Tool has yet to make an appearance in the Key Editor...

+1
Puma

PS:- (sorry, a little off topic) - But the thread has now prompted me to look again at the In-Place Editor - someone mentions using the Range Tool there (@vic france); I just tried and I can't seem to get it to do anything useful - no ALT+drag a selection to produce a copy; no CTRL+C/V to copy/paste a range... what am I missing..?

anyone else..?
Don't mean to hijack the thread. ;)
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20, WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Post by vic_france »

Puma0382 wrote:I just tried and I can't seem to get it to do anything useful - no ALT+drag a selection to produce a copy; no CTRL+C/V to copy/paste a range... what am I missing..?
Hi,
For Copy/Paste.. Copy while the Range Tool is still active, but you have to switch back to the regular Select (Arrow) Tool in order to Paste at the desired position.
As for Drag 'n' Drop, I have noticed that it can indeed be a bit temperamental here.. just make sure that the Hand Tool is showing (while the Range Tool is still active). You'll normally find that the tool is set for modifying the selected Range, but can indeed be "tricked" into changing to the Hand Tool. This usually involves juggling the mouse vertically (maybe up as far as the main Ruler). I know it isn't ideal (buggy? Accident?), but in any case, Copy/Paste should work if you do like I mentioned earlier ;).
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

Workaround time!

Make your selection in the Key Editor and then
Transport - Locate selection start
Copy ... or Cut
Transport - Enter Cursor Position
Up Arrow
Up Arrow
Paste

I don't know if you've changed your Key Commands so I just wrote the names of the commands out instead.
Most of the lines are pretty obvious except the Enter Cursor Position thingie, maybe?
It's a great tool for navigating with extra precision.
When you invoke it a little box in the middle of the screen appears.
Up Arrow increase the selected part of the position and Down Arrow decrease it, funnily enough.
Right Arrow and Left Arrow moves the selection to different parts of the position in bars and beats etc.
So in my example with hitting Up Arrow twice you move two whole bars to the right.
This is instantaneous so you can watch where the position cursor is in the project.
The beauty of it all is that the subdivisions are retained when you change the value with the arrow keys.
This means that if your located selection starts at 11.2.0.123 and you move the position two bars you will end up at 13.2.0.123 precisely.
When you have done this a few times it gets second nature.
Since the selection is in the clipboard of the computer you can move e.g. two more bars and paste again.
Same goes for closing the Key Editor and opening another Part on another Track in the Key Editor and paste again.

HTH

Now if we only also had a Lasso Tool:
viewtopic.php?p=542309#p542309
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

vic_france wrote:
Puma0382 wrote:I just tried and I can't seem to get it to do anything useful - no ALT+drag a selection to produce a copy; no CTRL+C/V to copy/paste a range... what am I missing..?
Hi,
For Copy/Paste.. Copy while the Range Tool is still active, but you have to switch back to the regular Select (Arrow) Tool in order to Paste at the desired position.
As for Drag 'n' Drop, I have noticed that it can indeed be a bit temperamental here.. just make sure that the Hand Tool is showing (while the Range Tool is still active). You'll normally find that the tool is set for modifying the selected Range, but can indeed be "tricked" into changing to the Hand Tool. This usually involves juggling the mouse vertically (maybe up as far as the main Ruler). I know it isn't ideal (buggy? Accident?), but in any case, Copy/Paste should work if you do like I mentioned earlier ;).
Bingo..! Thanks @vic france - Copy/Paste from IPE as you state; now doing it..! Won't go on; derailing thread too much already... :)
Thanks to @H Ulf too..! 'Edit Cursor Position' noted for future reference. ;)
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20, WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”