Automation improvement suggestions

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 can be posted here.
blueplanet

Automation improvement suggestions

Post by blueplanet » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:49 am

I think that automation is one of the neglected areas of Cubase and needs a complete serious overhaul:

* "Automation clips" or containers like in FL Studio, or like in Logic (called "region-based automation"). Basically chunks of automation that can be moved around, copied and pasted just the same as instrument parts.

* Automation clips can be ghost-copied for repeating/rhythmic automation, edit one clip and changes propagate to all ghost copies at once. Please don't even mention copy-paste here, it's a waste of time.

* An automation clip can control any parameter, so any given automation clip can be freely dragged or copied across to other parameters.

* Existing single-line automation remains for "old-school" automation fans, automation clips optionally drawn in to sit on top of the existing automation line (automation clips would have higher precedence than the single-line).

* editable curves via Bezier curves

* Additional line tools such as SAW (like in S1, FL etc)

* Control Link - just like the Control Link in Studio One, you can see the value being moved in the plugin, and you can also link it to one of the knobs in the midi controller for quick automation.

* additional line tools, as found in S1, for example a SAW wave (handy for automations which are currently not easily possible within cubase). A SAW wave will give access to interesting automations which are important for EDM style music.
Last edited by blueplanet on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

blueplanet

Re: Automation improvement suggestions

Post by blueplanet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:03 am

That's the way automation clips work in FL Studio - this is brilliant.

blueplanet

The way automation should be done in 2015. @Steinber

Post by blueplanet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:33 am

This should be implemented in Cubase - we're so much behind the times regarding this!
(pic taken from FL Studio)

(this is taken out of my feature request)

I think that automation is one of the neglected areas of Cubase and needs a complete serious overhaul:

* "Automation clips" or containers like in FL Studio, or like in Logic (called "region-based automation"). Basically chunks of automation that can be moved around, copied and pasted just the same as instrument parts.

* Automation clips can be ghost-copied for repeating/rhythmic automation, edit one clip and changes propagate to all ghost copies at once. Please don't even mention copy-paste here, it's a waste of time.

* An automation clip can control any parameter, so any given automation clip can be freely dragged or copied across to other parameters.

* Existing single-line automation remains for "old-school" automation fans, automation clips optionally drawn in to sit on top of the existing automation line (automation clips would have higher precedence than the single-line).

* Control Link - just like the Control Link in Studio One, you can see the value being moved in the plugin, and you can also link it to one of the knobs in the midi controller for quick automation.

* additional line tools, as found in S1, for example a SAW wave (handy for automations which are currently not easily possible within cubase). A SAW wave will give access to interesting automations which are important for EDM style music.
Last edited by blueplanet on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

estrica2000

Post by estrica2000 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:53 pm

+ 1 plus some stuff requested here: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 28&t=74068
OSX Mavericks, Cubase 7.5.4 64 bit

Manike

Re: The way automation should be done in 2015. @Steinber

Post by Manike » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:27 pm

I've not used FL studio - the automation there looks great but it looks quite time consuming as well.

The cubase automation needs work but at least I can enter it quickly and whilst the fl studio automation LOOKS amazing.... when working with orchestral instruments for example, I don't think you want absolute perfection in your curves and lines etc.

Like I've said though.. i've not used it so maybe I would love it.
8-Core Trashcan Mac Pro : Mojave : Cubase10.0.40 : MOTU828x : Nektar P6 :
Macbook pro : Mojave
http://www.manikemusic.com

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:54 am

This is old, Adobe (Premiere) is using this for years already, however it's good to point this out as in Cubase it isn't implemented yet, but would be very powerfull!!!
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

GargoyleStudio

Post by GargoyleStudio » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:36 pm

Yep, I agree, we need an overhaul. Also they need to make the automation points Always visible again because its a right pain that they keep disappearing. +1 to parabola and other shapes, definitely. I'd like to see parabolas on the fade handles on events as well.

Mike.
[Win10x64 latest, Cb10.0 latest, MOTU PCIe, UAD2, Waves, Soundtoys, Arturia]

keyxmusic

Post by keyxmusic » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:05 am

This would make editing a whole lot easier. Please make this happen in Cubase 9 Steinberg! :mrgreen:

intello

Post by intello » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:52 am

+1
I struggle with this daily,

More and more people will buy FL studio instead of cubase because of this.
Cubase is by far the best DAW out there and its so easy to produce big projects, but when it comes to automation it lags behind.
Please steinberg, give us this in cubase 9

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:29 pm

+1

the dream of the 90s is alive in portland-- and at steinberg, hamburg.

please cut off the pony tails & fast-track to 2016. :]
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

rmirabelle

Post by rmirabelle » Sun May 01, 2016 4:10 pm

+ 1 for automation clips.

gezzyboy

Post by gezzyboy » Fri May 06, 2016 1:49 pm

blueplanet wrote:I think that automation is one of the neglected areas of Cubase and needs a complete serious overhaul:

I agree Blueplanet, Cubase still has a way to go to catch up with the competition in this area and the wider area of GUI implementation in general imho ;)
Win 7 Pro (SP1), Cubase 8.05 64bit, i5 Quad Core 2.7Ghz, 512Mb SSD Boot, 16Gig DDR3 Ram, RME Hammerfall HDSPe AIO.

keyxmusic

Post by keyxmusic » Thu May 12, 2016 5:24 am

+1 really helpful for EDM producers, who live and die by exact, and repetitive automation

dmbaer

Post by dmbaer » Thu May 12, 2016 8:04 pm

+1
David Baer

Hardware: Intel I7 4-core hyper-threaded; 8M RAM; Dual hard drives; Roland Quad Capture
DAW: Cubase 7.5 64-bit (and SONAR X2 64-bit)
Synths and effects: More than I care to contemplate, but only the 64-bit stuff ever gets used

Musician88

Post by Musician88 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:29 am

+1
Need this! Some Plugin Values are translated very badly into values of automation. Automating the Compressor Threshold or the Volume of your favorite 3rd Party Soft Synth can become a nightmare.

bny2013

Post by bny2013 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:49 pm

+1

Atanaz

Post by Atanaz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:55 pm

I would really like to control automation lines with Range Selection tool. I often do section-by-section automation and creating 4 precise points can be a little 'tedious'.
Attachments
automation_range_tool.jpg
(37.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Manike

Post by Manike » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:08 pm

Atanaz wrote:I would really like to control automation lines with Range Selection tool. I often do section-by-section automation and creating 4 precise points can be a little 'tedious'.

Thats what I do - using the line tool speeds things up but still.

Is there a key command to ensure that the line you create stays at the same volume either end? It's not always easy to do by eye and I end up double checking and editing if it's gone up or down by a few db.

Michael
8-Core Trashcan Mac Pro : Mojave : Cubase10.0.40 : MOTU828x : Nektar P6 :
Macbook pro : Mojave
http://www.manikemusic.com

ResonantMind

Post by ResonantMind » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:21 pm

+1

Also the writing of automation in Cubase is fairly poor - very inconsistent and non-smooth. Playing with the reduction level only helps a bit but is mostly inconsistent.

Atanaz

Post by Atanaz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:30 am

Manike wrote: Thats what I do - using the line tool speeds things up but still.
Is there a key command to ensure that the line you create stays at the same volume either end? It's not always easy to do by eye and I end up double checking and editing if it's gone up or down by a few db.
Exactly. And if you make a line you cannot guarantee that it's gonna end up in the right place. There's a chance that you'll need to redraw it or adjust end points. It's way easier to just grab the line with a mouse and move it up and down until it's right.

blueplanet

Post by blueplanet » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:17 am

So... will we be getting any of this in Cubase 9??

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”