Linux Support

I’m sure this has been brought up before, but I really think that it needs to be re-examined - particularly in the light of the way that Windows has gone.

The problem for me is Windows 10. There is no way on earth that I will be “upgrading” to it. There are too many issues with Windows 10 - from the spying/logging of data, to the horrific UI, to just about everything about it - let alone when it eventually goes subscription only (just my little joke). Windows 7 is staying until it’s no longer possible for me to run it.

I’ve been moving away from using Windows for a long time, and now that’s largely a reality for me for 95% of the work I do (in terms of app usage, not time!) - I have a Chromebook running GalliumOS, so I have a laptop that runs for about 8 hours on a charge, has access to the complete range of Linux software, and didn’t cost a lot. I can do most of the work I need to using it.

There is only one time that I need to run Windows, and that’s to use Cubase. Everything else I can do I can do in a free and open environment, where I have control over what I do, and as importantly, what information is being passed to others.

It’s time that Cubase moved to a platform where that was the case, I think. It would be possible to create one where all existing plugins worked, and where the system worked well without the overheads that a “general purpose” OS creates. We could all be getting rock-solid ultra-low latency performance, and all without security or spying issues. I appreciate that it would be a considerable task to approach this, but I think the alternative is far worse.

I’ve been curious why Steinberg (or any other DAW developer) seems to dismiss the idea of creating their own fork of Linux to run their programs while discontinuing support for Windows and Mac. Expense is often cited, but how expensive is it to constantly run after MSFT/APL while they merrily chase the latest gaming fad, social media distraction or UI redesign? Meanwhile pros who actually use their computers for work that requires some horsepower are left wondering if there’ll soon be anyone left building the machines and operating systems they need. A Linux audio production fork would presumably be on a slower development path that’s optimized for audio while being cheaper to work with in the medium to long term… or so it would seem.

As I understand it, there are issues with the licensing. Have been using linux for years, running fedora 24 and win10 on this machine (my DAW). win10 is used strictly for the DAW and related activities, with lots of things turned off (cortana, live tiles, etc.) The only problem is that linux uses a different method to set the time, and win10 gets the time wrong. Correcting it causes the eLicenser to get confused, and it’s a minor ordeal to straighten that out so Cubase doesn’t spit up a bit of blood.

It would be a disaster for Steinberg, RME, et al to go open source. Who will pay them? We’ll all just download the linux version for free. And very few of us will be writing software upgrades. As a software engineer, I could do that. But I’d rather work on music. Software engineering is a thankless job. All you get are complaints about bugs and desired features… As if your managers could give you enough time to make it perfect.

So not all businesses can use an open source business model. This is the case with games, yet we have Steam. I don’t know how steam works, because I don’t have any of their games because I’d only play them if I were depressed. That only happens if I can’t work on music, which only happens if I’m too busy with something else, and that means I wouldn’t have time for games anyway.

Apple’s OS is a variant of unix, so it’s not difficult in principle to make linux versions of software that runs on Apple. OTOH, the audio interface companies would also have to be on board, and they don’t seem enthusiastic.

I started a “Cubase for Linux” topic over in the lounge about two years ago; so, get yourself a crash helmet and some rubber gloves and have a read of that! :slight_smile: I agree it’s time for a Linux option even if a potential Linux version might not be as feature-rich.

It’ll never happen, besides Linux gives you hair loss from spending months trying to get your hardware partially functional… :laughing:

If it was something like Nuendo Live, bundled with some hardware, that would make sense to me.
But then again a embedded Windows 10 version would make even more sense.

For every device that comes with windows from the factory there are nowadays at least ten devices sold with a preinstalled Linux of some kind. Even many Windows PCs or Macs would not do much without Linux helping out in the BIOS, monitor, keyboard, printer, switches, router, access point, NAS etc. In the studio there are mixing desks with linux, synths, effect processors, bus systems and so on. Hell, even light bulbs and coffee makers run Linux nowadays.

I’ve just recently read that the sales of ChromeOS devices outran the sales of MacOS devices in the US. In government, schools and universities it has even left windows behind in term of sales in many areas.

However, the desktop PC is a dying market. It will not fade entirely away because it is still needed for serious work but the development has stalled for a very long time now. There is really no reason to buy a new computer if your old one is only a few years old. There is no real reason to buy a new OS if your old one is just a few years old and there is really no reason to buy new versions of your software if the last one is just a few years old. New things might be more convenient but at the end of the day the old things will still do the job just fine in almost all scenarios.

There is no serious money in there anymore. That’s why Microsoft is switching from selling operating systems to selling the user’s private data and that’s why companies like Adobe and Avid switch to monthly fees instead of selling new versions every year. And that’s only the tip of the iceberg. I work in the machine building industry and the classic x86 PC with Windows is not even considered an option for new developments anymore. New ARM based devices running Linux are way easier to integrate, use less power, are more reliable and way easier to support because you have source level access to everything. The only benefit that Windows has is that it runs legacy software but this benefit will fade away naturally over time.

So you have to open your mind and think about supporting new platforms or you will fade away too. I don’t think that developers can ignore Android, ChromeOS and even the classic Linux distributions forever. Maybe that’s not where the current user base is today but it’s where the money is in the future - not at the over-saturated and dying Windows desktop market.

The way how Microsoft currently ‘sells’ Win10 says it all.

Yes please +1 and let VEP know as well thank you :wink:

can you say ZFS?
https://www.opensourcestorage.com/solutions/z1-solution/?gclid=CK_miNyu8c4CFUqUfgod9U0FkA