Sharing Cubase songs between Mac and PC

Thanks Prock - I would have assumed it was to do with the upload/download via Dropbox but it’s weird that doing it a second time results in the exact same situation with the same bit of audio missing.

Sometimes when he sends stuff back to me the file path doesn’t get updated so my computer shows a file missing error that it’s looking on his C: drive for something, but as we’ve usually recorded stuff here I just locate the local version of the audio.

I liked using the backup project dialogue because I believe it will save everything it needs to restore the project in a different location, and (especially when working with more than one person) we can end up with several versions of the same song. It’s reassuring to be able to listen to the song, so both visually and audibly check everything is there that you think ought to be, then back up from Cubase knowing you’re creating a backup of the right version.

Interesting that you said

This is always fixed by doing a 2nd (or 3rd) copy/zip to Dropbox.

as I think that if it didn’t work when sharing via Dropbox we’d just work on it the next time we meet. I don’t think we’ve kept uploading more than a couple of times before trying a different approach. Maybe we’ll make more attempts before giving up…

So for me, the issue is with zipping the project stuff or during the Dropbox up/download.

When we first started sharing song files this way we didn’t zip them up, but definitely saw some corruption then. So we started zipping them up (and as our songs get bigger, this is necessary just to try to reduce time waiting for them to upload!)

I suppose the trouble is we’ve got a few variables - I’m on Mac, he’s on PC, slightly different versions of Cubase, we’re zipping up, then sharing via Dropbox - there are a lot of areas which could introduce errors!