100% CPU spikes running cubase 8

Use this forum for an overview of collected issues and to report new ones.
Subsonic

Re: 100% CPU spikes running cubase 8

Post by Subsonic » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:15 am

After posting yesterday, I tried changing audio drivers. I have an RME Fireface 800, which is as rock-solid as they get, but when I switched from the native Fireface ASIO driver to the ASIO DirectX driver, the problems went away. Of course the latency was completely unusable with that driver, but it did playback without problems. Not sure what that means, but there does seem to be some type of driver issue.
My DAW:
Cubase 8; Windows 7; Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz Quad-core; Gigabyte GA-Z68X mobo; 16 GB RAM; 3 WD Black HD, 5TB total; GTX760 graphics card; RME Fireface 800.

Maas

Post by Maas » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:13 am

Has anyone tried asio4all? I will try tonight
3770K, Asus P8Z77-V, 32GB, 120Gb SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD (7200)
Cubase 9.5 Pro Halion 6,Halion Sonic, Groove Agent 4, Omnisphere2.5, Neo Keys, Triebwerk, Hypnotic Dance,PadShop Pro,Korg VST Instruments, UR44, CMC 6 Pack,Ipad Air/Cubase iC Pro, Ultimate 10, S61mk2 Komplete Keyboard, S-EX1 Mic, TC Helicon Voiceworks Plus.

Maas

Post by Maas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:21 am

I have not had a chance to try Asio4all as i was trying to fix a problem with Automap not working with Cubase * (which i have now resolved).
Reading through posts on here many people are suggesting that the problem with these spikes is down to Nvidia GFX. Even if this is true (I have MSI Nvidia GTX670) this is not the fault of Nvidia, its Steinberg. All other versions of Cubase have run without fault with the same GFX card, infact I have been exceptionally happy with performance given I am 90% VST with a couple of vocal tracks. I have never been in a position to have to freeze tracks, although I have done this out of interest and seen a massive immediate drop in the performance meter.

So if this is truly an Nvidia/C8 issue do Steinberg think it reasonable that people forking out good money for upgrades which are supposed to be improvements and not render your system useless to have to fork out for a new GFX card at each upgrade?
I realise that the majority do not have these issue nor an Nvidia card but that is of no consequence as next update it could be that they screw up the system working with another GFX card.
Imagine us guys (and girls) with this issue biting the bullet and forking out for a new GFX card and the next upgrade they does not work with this?

If this issue is down to GFX cards and I have read in the past other problems with particular GFX cards then its about time that Steinberg recommended a handful of cards that do work without issue. There are some people who like to play the odd game to relieve the stress of using Cubase (certainly this current C* release) and therefore choose a high end GFX card to run the high end games. Other are happy with a mid range card and other will no doubt be happy with the cheapest card possible that will run Cubase ok.

Rant over, I am going to log this as an issue as we do not seem to be getting any further forward. If I am expected to re-install 7.5 to fix the issue I then expect a refund for my C8 upgrade or a credit to the value for the next release.
I think this perfectly reasonable.

By the way mine happens every single time I change a patch on a non Steinberg plugin. Also with next to nothing running the VST performance meters are bobbing about mid way when i never usually see them move beyond 25% even with a heavy VST presence.
Cubase 9.5 Pro Halion 6,Halion Sonic, Groove Agent 4, Omnisphere2.5, Neo Keys, Triebwerk, Hypnotic Dance,PadShop Pro,Korg VST Instruments, UR44, CMC 6 Pack,Ipad Air/Cubase iC Pro, Ultimate 10, S61mk2 Komplete Keyboard, S-EX1 Mic, TC Helicon Voiceworks Plus.

CCF

Post by CCF » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:12 pm

I am experiencing the same issue (W7 64) on two different computers (one with NVIDIA Quadro 4000 and Phenom II and another with NVIDIA Quadro K5000 and i7 4690). I saw it during the last year with cubase 5.5 and now with cubase 8). Always the same: Spikes/freezes type of issues in no matter what type of projects.
Interestingly: If I revert to NVIDIA Quadro Driver 312.69 WHQL or earlier the issues dissapear immediately (even without rebooting). Installing a later driver brings the issue back for me.
As far as I know Cubase is using OpenGL drawcalls (i think for the GUI and the video renderer that seems to be running even if no video content is used). I remeber reading a release note or something like that that NVIDIA changed something with OpenGL commands or command handling somewhere around the driver revisions 3xx or so. I also saw graphic driver related entries in the system event log on the older machine that correlated to the spike issues in my DAW. Not on my new one though that I am currently using - but nevertheless the symptoms look exactly the same.

Maybe someone can solve it the same way - though it's kind of annoying to have to stick to outdated drivers...

emreyazgin

Post by emreyazgin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:11 pm

I think the issue with me is solved :)

BON-5544 PERFORMANCE: Fixed an issue with ASIO peaks when using audio drivers from RME
I7 2600K, Gigabyte Z58X - UD5 (Texas Instrument FireWire chipset), 16GB Kingston 1600 Mhz RAM, 4 TB total HD, Passive Sapphire 1GB video card, Coolermaster case + Coolermaster 750 Watt Silent PSU, UAD 2 QUAD NEVANA, UAD 2 PCIe, RME FIREFACE 800, Nord Lead 2X, Virus C, Yamaha P80, Nord Electro 3, Safe Sound Audio P1, Avedis MA5, Buzzuadio Potion, Speck ASC-V, API 512C, DIY 1176 clone, MOTU 128 Express, Lexicon MPX1, TC M-One, Yamaha SPX-2000, Marshall JMP1, Radial Jensen DI, Adam A7, Mackie 10" sub, iNano monitor controller....Lots of nice VSTI's, VST "soft-board" and effects...ah and two small Creative speakers ;)

ywc928

Post by ywc928 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:27 pm

560ti, 347.52 same problem.
Asus P8H77V-LE ,Intel i5-3470, Kinstom DDR3 8gx4, Intel 530 240g, Seasonic 650w, Nvidia 560ti
EchoAudio FirePre8,

muggidane

Post by muggidane » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi
I'm running Cubase Pro 8 with SPL Crimson, and had that very same issue, but then I tryed A LOT, and last I tryed to remove the ASIO Guard, and everything just ran from there! ;)

Give it a go in Device Setup, hope it worx for ya...

Cheers from Copenhagen

jconstantine

Post by jconstantine » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:21 am

The core parking fix helped me a lot with the CPU spikes.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Windows-7-amp ... 61804.aspx
Last edited by jconstantine on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 64 ,i7 7700k 4.2 Ghz,32 RAM DDR4,Asus Prime Z270-A ,Nvidia GForce GT710,SSD 250 GB,RME UFX+,RME AIO,Apollo 8,Macbook Air i5 2017,Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab 9.5, Halion 6, GA4,Pro Tools 12.8, UAD 2, SSL Native, Waves Gold,hardware synths & samplers.
Kronos2, Avid Artist Mix,Yamaha 01v96i,NS10,Behritone,Genelec 8050a and VXT8

Maas

Post by Maas » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:58 am

Hmm this is a suggestion I have not come across before. I will try this when I get home. Have any of us Cubase guys tried this with success?

odlumb

Post by odlumb » Fri May 01, 2015 6:14 pm

I kissed the ground in gratitude when I found this thread. Thank you Laurie for your great diagnostic work and writing it all up in this forum. It saved me days, maybe even weeks of work.

I work on a Lenovo 520, which has two built-in display cards, an Intel HD 3000 and a Nvidia Quadro 1000M. I was playing video games during an interim, and updated the driver of the Quadro so I could play on the second monitor. That proved to be fatal when I returned to Cubase. Fortunately, all I had to do was roll back the driver for that video card, and everything worked again. But I shudder to think of the time I would have lost and the software mayhem which would have rolled through my system had I not found this thread.

Thanks!

Dirk-S

Post by Dirk-S » Sun May 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Hello all,
I had the same problem as all the other describe. My System is equipped with a K2000 Quadro and a Samsung 1TB SSD. I try all the things from this post also a new driver for the Quadro card but there is not such an old driver available because the card is brand new. Nothing helps, still processor peaks to 100% for 2 to 10 seconds. The last thing I try was to disable the sleep mode of the cores and it works perfectly for me :D :D . Since 3 days and a lot of playing no peaks anymore and I also notice that the whole system seems to be more stable. Hope it works also well for the other here in the forum.

best regards
Dirk

PS sorry for my bad english !

Dirk-S

Post by Dirk-S » Mon May 04, 2015 8:51 am

Hello all,

:cry: :cry: The Peaks are back :oops: :oops: :oops:

So the processor sleep Option is not the solution

krisp

Post by krisp » Wed May 13, 2015 8:48 pm

If you get spikes with just a few tracks playing it might be a bad driver - try running DPC checker: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml while Cubase is spiking. If DPC checker is complaining (by displaying red bars) try to find the culprit with http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon (also while running cubase).

Edit: FWIW. Cubase 8 runs fine - much better than c6.5/7.5 ever did. And I'm really impressed by how cubase scales with multiple cores.
Cubase 8.0.20 x64 | Win 8.1 x64 | Lenovo ThinkStation P900 w/ 2 Intel Xeon E5-2620v3 + 64 GB DDR4 ECC RAM | Nvidia Quadro K2200 | 256 GB M.2 SSD | 2x2 TB hybrid HDDs (RAID1).

The Valley

Post by The Valley » Thu May 14, 2015 5:34 pm

I see most in this thread are pc based machines. I've been on a macbookpro for quite a while and had ALL the same issues I've read in this tread and others regarding the spikes. Cubase was unusable to me almost the entire month of January and into Feb. I was getting ready to (gulp) switch to Logic after fifteen years on Cubase it was so bad.

The reason I bring this up is because I finally updated my OS to Yosemite although Steinberg warned against it at the time. to be honest, it couldn't have gotten worse. I also had cpu system freezing spikes with just a few vsts loaded on a new and empty project. Yosemite cleared up almost everything! I've been 80% happy with my setup. I still have more stuttering than the past but "render in place" saves me hours and HOURS of rendering large pop and orchestral projects that I was "hanging on" to the idea of making version 8 work. It's been working for the past three months consistently.

I bring this up because my 2012 Mac has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M stock in it and it was the OS that changed everything on my end. I know several guys have had supposed NVIDIA issues.

Not sure how this may help a non mac user but it's info to throw into the discussion.

Thanks
Mobile Rig: Cubase 8.0.10 64 bit, MacBook Ret Pro 16 GB Ram OSX 10.10.3, Mac Mini Slave OSX 10.8.5 Intel I7 w/16 GB Ram running VEPro5, UA Apollo Twin, UAD2 Satellite Duo

Schottlandru

Post by Schottlandru » Tue May 19, 2015 11:24 am

CCF wrote:I am experiencing the same issue (W7 64) on two different computers (one with NVIDIA Quadro 4000 and Phenom II and another with NVIDIA Quadro K5000 and i7 4690). I saw it during the last year with cubase 5.5 and now with cubase 8). Always the same: Spikes/freezes type of issues in no matter what type of projects.
Interestingly: If I revert to NVIDIA Quadro Driver 312.69 WHQL or earlier the issues dissapear immediately (even without rebooting). Installing a later driver brings the issue back for me.
As far as I know Cubase is using OpenGL drawcalls (i think for the GUI and the video renderer that seems to be running even if no video content is used). I remeber reading a release note or something like that that NVIDIA changed something with OpenGL commands or command handling somewhere around the driver revisions 3xx or so. I also saw graphic driver related entries in the system event log on the older machine that correlated to the spike issues in my DAW. Not on my new one though that I am currently using - but nevertheless the symptoms look exactly the same.

Maybe someone can solve it the same way - though it's kind of annoying to have to stick to outdated drivers...

CCF, thanks for this awesome post as I am having similar issues and have contacted NVIDIA. A very helpful support tech has passed this onto the team and they are looking into it.
The thing is - ProTools video performance is so much better now as far as I can tell, and also in Nuendo it looks smoother (I had had to disable AERO before to get playback without micro stuttering, but that resulted in tearing due to disabled v-sync) and better but Nuendo hangs every now and then.

Hoping for a fix soon!
Best,
Andrew
Nuendo 6.5 | ProTools 11HD | RME Fireface 800 | Dell M6700 | i7 | 16 GB RAM | Win 7 64
www.andrewmottl.com

dEsTeR

Post by dEsTeR » Tue May 19, 2015 6:12 pm

I have exactly same problems on a new MacBookPro 2015 i7 quadcore and 16 gb of ram, it is unbelievable.

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 33&t=80069

I spent more than 2500 € for a laptop and I cannot use it with Cubase.
Also, I have to say, Steinberg assistance is near to 0, you have to wait 2 months to have a reply by email, so I suppose I have to close my studio for 2 months waiting for a Steinberg reply?

I really think this will be the right time to switch to another software.
Anyway if someone can help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Schottlandru

Post by Schottlandru » Wed May 20, 2015 10:29 pm

Hey guys,

first response from NVIDIA: try drivers 337.88
They work for me and give the same smooth and solid video performance I experienced in the newer releases, but without the CPU spiking as far as I can tell right now.

Hope they can fix it for future releases.
And hope this helps some of you.
Best,
Andrew
Nuendo 6.5 | ProTools 11HD | RME Fireface 800 | Dell M6700 | i7 | 16 GB RAM | Win 7 64
www.andrewmottl.com

baumannmusic

Post by baumannmusic » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:31 pm

Thanks a lot Laurie for sharing your Solution!

I had the same problems, massive CPU spikes freezing my system, recording was impossible.

Now I just uninstalled all NVidia drivers, so that windows 7 automatically runs it's own certified drivers.

Problem solved and saved me a huge amount of time for testing other settings :-)

Schottlandru

Post by Schottlandru » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:10 pm

Guys!

I am in contact with nVidia (still) and now Dell, my supplier... it looks to be a CPU chipset issue.
Questions for you:
- do you have Intel chips?
- do you have any Intel startup processes or services DISABLED?

I feel like I have solved it at my end by re-enabling the intel services and processes on startup and will see if I can find the one that is causing or rather solving the issue when I have time soon.
It may be you might be LACKING an Intel bundle that does the GPU handling (as intel chips often have GPUs onboard).

As for the drivers: 337 worked for me but I prefer the performance of the latest drivers - therefore I'm still hunting this down.

Hope this helps so far... will let you know what I find.
Cheers,
Andrew
www.andrewmottl.com

Maas

Post by Maas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:42 pm

I have same issues and have done everything including a full format and re-install but just same.
I took my nvidia GTX card out and replaced with on board graphics but just the same.
I am having to many problems with Steinberg that I am seriously thinking of moving to another Daw.
Trouble is I have invested a lot of time and money and don't know if I can even resell Steinberg software?

Schottlandru

Post by Schottlandru » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:56 pm

Hello folks,

I am in contact with all kinds of support teams and seem to have find a workaround fix for me at the moment - though I am still checking to see if it is a long term solution.

What I did:
- disabled processor C-States in my systems BIOS
- https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/ downloaded this and set a power profile that does not park CPUs.
- disabled C1E states with "ThrottleStop", though I assume this is done anyway by the BIOS setting.

If you guys have the chance to do this and feel confident, give it a try. This might be it . . . at least as a workaround until the devs find out what is sending the CPU to sleep every now and then...
www.andrewmottl.com

ADVINT

Post by ADVINT » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:31 am

I confirm, I have downgraded the driver for my Nvidia K2000 to version 3.3.3 and the problem is solved :D

My setup:
Cubase Element 8 - 64bit
Win 7 - 64bit
8GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo
USB2 soundcard

Schottlandru

Post by Schottlandru » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Hello folks,

I have received news from Steinberg devs and they suggest testing the following:
>>>
1. Open the NVidia-Settings Control-Panel
2. Search for the "PhysX"-Settings and change the option from "Auto select" to "K4200" (GPU-model) or "CPU".
Note: It does not seem to make a difference, which dedicated setting. Though we could only apply limited testing.
<<<

I haven't had the time to test myself (I need to re-enable C1 states first again) but maybe this can be of help to any recent posters.

Best,
Andrew
www.andrewmottl.com

Maas

Post by Maas » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:42 pm

I think the problem is the way multicore processors are used. I can add one instance of omnisphere running 8 tracks and see the performance meter averaging say 75%. I can then add an instance of Halion 5 running another 16 tracks and the performance is exactly the same. I have then added another 16 tracks with Halion Sonic with say another instance of omnisphere and 8 tracks and the performance stays the same. I believe this is because every time you add a vst instrument it is assigned to a new core. So when the first 8 tracks are added you might think they would be spit over say 4 cores, no they all assign to one core as they are all coming from one instance of omnisphere. So if you want 8 Omnisphere tracks for instance you should use 4 instances at Least and assign 2 tracks to each. I have not tried the later but this certainly seems the way my Cubase assigns the workload. I will try running 8 tracks in one vst rhen split them and see if the performance meter drops.

Silver

Post by Silver » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:36 am

THANK you Laurie for this thread. I have been troubleshooting the same issue for a while and never would have guessed it was the graphics card drivers causing the problem. I reverted to Quadro driver 337.88 as Andrew mentioned and the CPU spikes disappeared.

Return to “Issues”