[R-13172]Waiting For Video Service - Currently Not Responsiv

This is a long-standing issue for 2 YEARS since early Cubase 7.0.x versions.

( See these threads: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=45123 http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=51980 )

It’s not easy to tell what exactly causes it, but 9 out of 10 times it will happen for me when:

• Closing a large project file (ie: 40 instrument tracks)
  • Leaving Cubase open for a while (half hour or an hour even) then trying to open or close a project - regardless of the size of the project or what plug-ins are in it.

This window comes up:

It stalls for several seconds, then lets you click Abort. Then it comes up again, and you have to click Abort a second time.

Then this message appears:

Then you manually quit Cubase, relaunch it, and re-open your project just to get back to work.

THIS HAPPENS DOZENS OF TIMES PER DAY. Aggravating doesn’t begin to describe it.

PLEASE FIX.

This happens on both of my Macs:

2.4GHz 12-core 2012 Mac Pro - OS X 10.10.5 - 64GB RAM - 6G SSD - UA Apollo Firewire800 - Cubase 8.0.30 64-bit

3.5GHz quad-core 2014 iMac - OS X 10.10.5 - 32GB RAM - Apple SSD - UA Apollo Thunderbolt - Cubase 8.0.30 64-bit

The devs do know about this and it is an in-progress issue. Also if you look in the Activity monitor you can see the OS thinks the processes are not responding, but in fact they are. Apparently the finding the fix has been extremely evasive.

It seemed like it got fixed for an update or two, but now it’s back more consistent than ever, on my system. For the past while I’ve been running Cubase with the video component hidden from it, but of course that’s not an option for you or many others…

I’ll update this thread if I hear more.

I’ve had this once on my Mac Pro. I clicked ok, restarted Cubase and it just opened up fine and ran ok. It’s not happened since. Of course, now I’ve written that…

Hi everyone,

if you’re still having trouble with this, could you please try the following workaround and report back whether it has helped for you.

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/mac-os-x-video-service-is-currently-not-responsive-error-message.html

Thanks & cheers!

What about for W& 64bit users? Please help :frowning:

I have the issue since upgrading from 6.5 to 8 and I have no aggregate devices in my Audio MIDI Setup window.

Hello,

On Windows is a different issue, on the PC make sure that you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed and that your graphics card supports dual GPU and has at least 2GB Ram.

Best regards,
GN

Same problem here,…

I don’t have a “Aggregate Device” configured in the Mac OS X “Audio Midi Setup” and the file “DVCPROHDMuxer.component” is NOT on my system.

greetings,
Peter

Profile update: Now on OS X 10.10.2
Same Problem.

Hi again,

complaints went down a lot since we found out the above workaround. However, as I can see from this thread this issue can still be triggered by something we don’t know yet. For now, I can only give you one other vague hint on this topic. The video warning message can also pop up in cases where the MediaBay is trying to scan files (audio and video) that are corrupt or cannot be interpreted correctly by Cubase. So please check if there are certain user folders that you’ve set up to be scanned by the MediaBay and that might contain corrupt files. Nevertheless, I’m afraid there is at least one more thing causing this issue and we are trying hard to find it.

Best regards,
Axel

I’ve unchecked my boot drive in the Media Bay just to be sure. The problem persists. I’ve posted above that I have no aggregate devices in AMS either. It seems also that video playback makes Cubase go progressively slower and slower in the course of two-three hours’ work, display updates become slow and unresponsive, and I have to quit and restart the session.

One other data point.

I went from OS X 10.8.4/Cubase 7.5.3 to OS X 10.9.5/Cubase 8.0.5 and the error started immediately when trying to open any project. I did have an aggregate device, removed it, and the problem went away.

So, in my case at least, it sounds like something that was introduced in Cubase 8 or something that changed in the OS.

Jason

Any news on that? Some feedback, Steinberg, please.

Same problem here:

videodecode, videooutput, videopreload (not responding on Activity Monitor)

Please advise. Thank you.

Hello,

This problem arrived with Mavericks and the way it behaves with the video engine. We already gave you the feedback that you need, it is caused by an aggregate device, please read the post above. In any case we are still investigating and we do not have any new information to share.

You can ignore this, the OS thinks they are not active or responding but in fact they are.

Best regards,
GN

I get the unresponsive video fairly often on my mac, 10.8.5, cubase 8.0.5 - have to shut down and restart cubase in order to continue working.

I do not have an aggregate device on my system, please read the post above.

Hung “Waiting for video service” messages from Cubase for no apparent reason are still a reality. What the OS thinks about them is beside the point.

No aggregate device for me either and I’m still seeing this.

No aggregate device here, getting the issue on a brand new Yosemite install. Any update a year later?

Hi
I got this on PC W8 today.
Anyone else??

It has nothing to do with aggregate devices.

Cubase Pro 8.0.30 came out and the issue still persists. The only remedy is to nuke the entire videoengine bundle, assuming you don’t need to run video…