Setting to Disable Mouse Wheel for Parameter Value Changes

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Nuendo 7 can be posted here.
ChrisPolus

Setting to Disable Mouse Wheel for Parameter Value Changes

Post by ChrisPolus »

I'd like a setting to disable the mouse wheel so it doesn't change parameters and faders.

Sometimes you scroll through a list or you scroll up in a long MixerConsole window and your mouse suddenly rests on a parameter or fader, scrolling the wheel then makes the fader move, instead of scrolling up the window.

As changing parameters with the mouse wheel is super imprecise I'd really like to disable it alltogether, focusing the mouse wheel what it was intended to do: scrolling through long windows.

One can still change parameters by holding down the mouse button and then moving the mouse up and down. This is good because it's a deliberate action and WANTED. And it doesn't happen accidentally like with the mouse wheel. It's driving me nuts and I've seen similar complaints and feature requests in Cubase and WaveLab forums. Please Steinberg, disable the mouse wheel already!
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2016 with Touchbar, latest macOS, 16GB RAM
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

WillfullyDamned

Re: Setting to Disable Mouse Wheel for Parameter Value Chang

Post by WillfullyDamned »

+1 This is also driving me mad. Shame on you Steinberg!

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus »

I see this is still around. This is driving me mad on a daily basis. I would really like to see the mouse wheel getting disabled in a coming update!
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

basicX

Post by basicX »

+1 please!!!
Studios: Nuendo 10.3, Cubase 10 Pro, PT 11.3.1
I/O: Full blown Focusrite RedNet Setup. 3xRed4pre, 2xRed x2p
Plugins from Sonnox, Waves, iZotope, UAD, Plugin Alliance Mega Pack, and so on...)

Windows 10 Pro x64
Main System from Digital Audio Networx
Intel i9 14core, Gigabyte, 64GB Ram, GF 1050ti, UAD Quad, 3 * Avid Artis Mix

Pro Audio Broadcast Post for german and international clients
www.media-atelier.tv

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris »

ChrisPolus wrote:I see this is still around. This is driving me mad on a daily basis. I would really like to see the mouse wheel getting disabled in a coming update!
I use it to change values in the List editor, so an option to disable would be better for me than a permanant disable.
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

PC: i7 Quad core 2.66GHz, 24GB ram, SSD drives.
Screens: LG 4K 3440x1440, AG-Neovo 1280x1024 (x2).
Hardware: RME FireFace UFX, MR816CSX (x2), SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Midi Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Roland V-Drums TD-20X, Nektar Panorama P1.
Software: Nuendo-8.1.10, Wavelab-Elements-9.5, Halion-6, Halion Sonic 3, Kontakt-5, Cubase iCPro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth), Omnisphere, Trillian.

Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Hi Guys,
Is this what you mean?
http://www.dougwilde.com/MouseWheel.jpg
John "Wheels" Hurlbut

Nuendo 10, Cubase 10.5, PT 10 & 11.Win 10 Pro PC, i9 12 Core CPU, 128 Gig Ram, Dangerous Source Monitor Controller, SSL Nucleus Console. Waves and UAD II Plug-ins etc. Adobe Creative Cloud.

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus »

hey wheels. no, unfortunately it's not. the option you point out is so clip volume or clip fades could be adjusted with the mouse wheel.

but the problem is the duality of the scroll wheel. the scroll wheel of the mouse, for one, scrolls windows. it scrolls the arrange window, it scrolls in the mixer when you have lots of channels, it scrolls within the inspector if that is very long and all the elements are open.

the thing is that on the other hand the scroll wheel also adjusts settings. it moves the fader for example and there are other active areas where the scroll wheel adjusts stuff.

so now, when you are in the inspector for example, and you scroll down to look at something, and then want to scroll up again, if your mouse happens to stop over the fader, INSTEAD of scrolling up again as you would expect, it suddenly starts moving the fader up and down. so i constantly need to think, OH, where was that fader's position? reset the position, move the mouse out of the fader and then scroll up. it's a mine field where you constantly have to watch out where you turn your mouse wheel.

i think the mouse wheel is for scrolling in windows! THAT'S IT! everybody has their mouse speed differently and you cannot do precise changes with it on a fader where the value jumps 2-3dB for me per mouse wheel click. it's totally useless and is a source for constant errors and time spent re-adjusting values and looking for errors. oh, did I accidentally change a value here? why does it sound so weird. oh I didn't realize I moved the fader again.

and this happens all the time everywhere, because the mouse wheel adjusts settings instead of just doing what it is supposed to do. scroll wheel = scrolling!
Last edited by ChrisPolus on Thu May 19, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

basicX

Post by basicX »

Well said!!
Need to be fixed!!
+1
Studios: Nuendo 10.3, Cubase 10 Pro, PT 11.3.1
I/O: Full blown Focusrite RedNet Setup. 3xRed4pre, 2xRed x2p
Plugins from Sonnox, Waves, iZotope, UAD, Plugin Alliance Mega Pack, and so on...)

Windows 10 Pro x64
Main System from Digital Audio Networx
Intel i9 14core, Gigabyte, 64GB Ram, GF 1050ti, UAD Quad, 3 * Avid Artis Mix

Pro Audio Broadcast Post for german and international clients
www.media-atelier.tv

Wheels

Post by Wheels »

ChrisPolus wrote:hey wheels. no, unfortunately it's not. the option you point out is so clip volume or clip fades could be adjusted with the mouse wheel.

but the problem is the duality of the scroll wheel. the scroll wheel of the mouse, for one, scrolls windows. it scrolls the arrange window, it scrolls in the mixer when you have lots of channels, it scrolls within the inspector if that is very long and all the elements are open.

the thing is that on the other hand the scroll wheel also adjusts settings. it moves the fader for example and there are other active areas where the scroll wheel adjusts stuff.

so now, when you are in the inspector for example, and you scroll down to look at something, and then want to scroll up again, if your mouse happens to stop over the fader, INSTEAD of scrolling up again as you would expect, it suddenly starts moving the fader up and down. so i constantly need to think, OH, where was that fader's position? reset the position, move the mouse out of the fader and then scroll up. it's a mine field where you constantly have to watch out where you turn your mouse wheel.

i think the mouse wheel is for scrolling in windows! THAT'S IT! everybody has their mouse speed differently and you cannot do precise changes with it on a fader where the value jumps 2-3dB for me per mouse wheel click. it's totally useless and is a source for constant errors and time spent re-adjusting values and looking for errors. oh, did I accidentally change a value here? why does it sound so weird. oh I didn't realize I moved the fader again.

and this happens all the time everywhere, because the mouse wheel adjusts settings instead of just doing what it is supposed to do. scroll wheel = scrolling!
Amazingly, considering all the scrolling I do over (sometimes) 4 monitors, I just ran into this yesterday. A very nice feature that PT has that Nuendo doesn't have yet is that undo's actually move faders and mutes etc back to their original position.
John "Wheels" Hurlbut

Nuendo 10, Cubase 10.5, PT 10 & 11.Win 10 Pro PC, i9 12 Core CPU, 128 Gig Ram, Dangerous Source Monitor Controller, SSL Nucleus Console. Waves and UAD II Plug-ins etc. Adobe Creative Cloud.

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

I love to be able to adjust settings with the mouse wheel. But i do agree 100% with the issues it causes when scrolling.
Filmlance, a Swedish production company producing drama and feature films.
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 4k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

Jim Fox

Post by Jim Fox »

It should be an option or preference setting. I use the mouse wheel on faders all the time, in fact excusively.
I only wish it wheeled in even 1 dB increments, with Ctrl and/or Shift key modifiers for fine adjustments. Like it does presently over the Clip Volume parameters.

Nuendo is great,
Fox
N10.x, Win7-64bit, i7 Quad Core 3.33GHz, 12GB RAM, RME MADI, RME AES-32, Intensity Pro, Powercore PCIeMkII

ultradust

Post by ultradust »

Yes, this needs to be fixed.

JGS

Post by JGS »

I second this option too! :idea:

It is much too easy to modify a parameter especially with Cubase Pro 9 and its new dual windows with the editing pane and the mixer pane.

The ideal option would activate wheel modification with a control key ...

JGS

Edit: Sorry I see I am in Nuendo forum, but it applies to Cubase too ...
Cubase Pro 9.0.30, Win10 Pro, Intel i7 3770K, 16 GB Ram, SSD HD 500GB, RME HDSP9632, Focusrite OctoPre MKII. Plugins : Waves 9, Plugin Alliance, FabFilter, Slate, Softube, Izotope RX, IKM T-Racks, Audified, Soundtoys, Toontrack, Native Instruments ...

ANeeman

Re: Setting to Disable Mouse Wheel for Parameter Value Changes

Post by ANeeman »

Helllooou! Will this be fixed in Cubase 15? Will take 10 years if speed is 0.5 version per year.
Cubase Pro 10.5, WaveLab Pro 10.0, Dorico Elements 3.5, HALion 6, HSO, KOMPLETE 12 U CE, Spitfire Albion ONE
UR242, MG10XU, MG12XU, CS1x, M-Audio Oxygene-25.
Windows 10 Pro, 3.4 GHz, 16 GB.
Albums: Presence (2019) | Millectrinium (2018) | Nature. Water (2017) | Oracle (2017) | Two. Midnight Talks (2015)

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”