[FR] Dynamic Height Channel Strip

It’s nice I can configure the channel strip: Add notes, fader, direct routing or hide sections of it. And I can save and recall presets for these configurations. But if you have many sections enabled, they take up a lot of room so you have to collapse them. And so, while working, I’m constantly clicking and collapsing here, uncollapsing there. Sure, I can pin sections to stay open, but then quickly everything is pinned and instead of collapsing, I have to scroll a lot.

A simple change: Remove the empty slots from Inserts, Sends, Direct Routing etc. Show one empty slot for each. Then, if the user adds an effect, put the effect in that empty slot and add a new empty slot below it. Dynamically scale the hight of the inserts, routings, as needed. This way I can always add a new effect to an empty slot, while at the same time not wasting screen space. This would also save space in the mixer. More room, more place to see everything at a glance, less clicking.

(I had this request in a monolithic request post but I realized nobody could comment sensibly in any way so I broke it out. Maybe I’ll see that way what makes sense and people +1 and what doesn’t make sense. Sorry for the hassle.)