Nuendo 8! - Official Preview and further information

Post general topics related to Nuendo 7 here.
Kewl

Re: Nuendo 8! - Official Preview and further information

Post by Kewl » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:48 pm

On macOS, will it be "Retina-ready" ?
MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 (Intel Core i7 @ 2.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM) / macOS 10.13.5 / Nuendo 8.2.1 & 5.5.6 / Metric Halo ULN-8 & ULN-2 / SoundField SPS200

ErikG

Post by ErikG » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:53 pm

Domilik wrote:There were mainly three issues in Nuendo which made me switch to ProTools a few years ago.

a - keeping all the offline plugins (audiosuite) you need for dialog editing all the time open - this seems to be introduced in N8? Great!

b - displaying automation lanes right on top of the audio tracks. This is so important in mix process for fast view-switching, editing, copying, etc... (in addition to that automation-lanes in PT are looking so much finer, in Nuendo I only see dozens of huge white squares, please compare.)

c - trim mode behavior. Need trim mode all the time, almost never leave it, but it is totally strange in Nuendo. When switching to trim mode all(!) faders should switch to middle position - not only the faders where automation was written before. It's irritating when some faders are on middle - others are on 0db-position, although they all have the same 0db-status at that time: It's nearly not possible to mix volume in trim mode on several tracks with one hand. In addition to that - trim mode values are not communicated via EUCON to my mixing desk right now! That's a big issue, if you want to mix without staring at the mix-window.

Any news in N8 on (b) and (c)?
a) true, but in PT you have no real way of undoing parts of the process thus you have to manually manage the various stages of processed files, and that totally sucks. Offline process history is great, but I do still look gorwatd to be able to have several open plugins at the same time.

b) it is fascinating how PT users focus on editing the automation data. I feel that I don't need to do that as I just tweak my plugin instead of modify-click on the GUI and then edit the data. While the editing of automation data in PT is better still than in Nuendo, I so much prefer the creative workflow of controlling the plugin in Nuendo rather than adjusting the automation data on the track as is mostly done in PT.
you need to update your Nuendo, the big white automation blobs are gone now. Yes they were a stupid bad idea.

c) trim mode works ok for me using Eucon. But yes the 0db for un-atomated tracks is daft I agree.

As to VCAs I have not yet fully tested the latest 7.1.30 release in regards to VCAs but so far it seems better than before although I'm not totally sold on the implementation nor the placement of the VCA in the racks.
Filmlance
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 2k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

Tronic

Post by Tronic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Will N8 be able to compete with Reaper when it comes to ambisonic audio production?

The teaser video mentions "immersive sound" but tells us nothing specific, and other than the usual brand name product mention, the N8 features list tells us nothing about possible improvements to the busing architecture that might enable HOA usage.

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:08 pm

ErikG wrote:a) true, but in PT you have no real way of undoing parts of the process thus you have to manually manage the various stages of processed files, and that totally sucks. Offline process history is great, but I do still look gorwatd to be able to have several open plugins at the same time.
As with many other things in my experience changing my workflow helps here. So because of as you say a lack of offline process history, I do end up addressing certain things at different points in the production-sound editing process. The thing though is that on my computer versus even slower computers in studios it's still a time-saver to do what he said and leave the AS window open and then deal with "manually managing" those regions in PT.

I typically do one type of work first, throughout a show or commercial, and then go back and address the next type of issue. So it'll first be edits (i.e. crossfades, frankenbytes etc) and I'll do clicks/ticks/pops at the same time, because they are of short duration and "fits within" a region. The fact that they "fit within" means that if I need to redo something there I can simply extend the region from the untreated part over the AS-processed one. After this first pass of editing I either mute/copy-paste all of it to a new track, or more likely I'll create a new playlist. Then if i want to do more extensive processing, for example DeNoising or other stuff in RX, I can always revert to the original or later by switching playlists.

But I absolutely agree with you that offline process history is superior - and has been since version 1!!!

Can't wait to be able to have these windows open.... assuming I buy 8 when it comes out.
ErikG wrote:b) it is fascinating how PT users focus on editing the automation data. I feel that I don't need to do that as I just tweak my plugin instead of modify-click on the GUI and then edit the data. While the editing of automation data in PT is better still than in Nuendo, I so much prefer the creative workflow of controlling the plugin in Nuendo rather than adjusting the automation data on the track as is mostly done in PT.
you need to update your Nuendo, the big white automation blobs are gone now. Yes they were a stupid bad idea.
I think part of the issue though is the visual feedback that overlaying automation provides. By having it directly above the waveform it makes it a bit easier to see what is going on, rather than having to move your eyes up/down to find what you're looking for.
ErikG wrote:As to VCAs I have not yet fully tested the latest 7.1.30 release in regards to VCAs but so far it seems better than before although I'm not totally sold on the implementation nor the placement of the VCA in the racks.
I'm going to check that right now.....
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Chewy Papadopoulos wrote:I'm on the road and am not going to do the latest update until I get home... but I didn't see anything about fixing our chronic Workspace problems in the version notes, so am assuming nothing's been done there.

Will N8 address the problems we've been posting about here? Mine, specifically, have to do with channel edit window assignments not being recalled with workspaces (an edit window for a specific channel will be recalled as whatever channel is selected in the Project window), which has been an issue for me since N6.

Would love to see that fixed. Would love that very much.

Thanks,

Chewy
I don't think anything has been done to fix the Workspace issues - Just tested exiting N7.1.30 and relaunching and it simply still does not work despite the correct Preferences being set. What was the point of introducing these features that clearing don't function? Very frustrating. Nevertheless, at least something is happening with Nuendo and it is nice that Timo seems to be around a lot more - let's hope it lasts.
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

Windows-7 Pro 64-bit, i7 Quad core 2.66 15GB ram, Nuendo-8.2.0, Wavelab-6, 2x MR816CSX, RME FireFace UFX, SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Halion-5, Halion Sonic 2, Kontakt-5, Roland V-Drums TD-20X
Cubase iC Pro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth)
Omnisphere, Trillian + loads of real instruments.

Domilik

Post by Domilik » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:19 pm

ErikG wrote: b) it is fascinating how PT users focus on editing the automation data. I feel that I don't need to do that as I just tweak my plugin instead of modify-click on the GUI and then edit the data. While the editing of automation data in PT is better still than in Nuendo, I so much prefer the creative workflow of controlling the plugin in Nuendo rather than adjusting the automation data on the track as is mostly done in PT.
a bit off-topic, but I want to respond, in fact I don't edit that much, it's more copying.
I have it quite often that I did a pan-automation on one track, then I add some more sound-layers afterwards on the next tracks where I want to paste the same automation to. In PT its just a few clicks: Switch view to panning, select the range with auto-data, press 'c', press 'ö' (for moving sel-range to next track), press 'v'. Then again press 'ö', press 'v', press 'ö', press 'v'...and so on... Just a few seconds work!
In editing it's more about selecting for example automation data on dozens of tracks with just one range-tool-click, because there are no audio-lanes "in the way". When I want a panning on 8 tracks to beginn 6 frames earlier, it's one select-click and then 6x-nudge. So fast.
And, of course, it's about oversight. When I do volume-pass I like to see all the automation lanes on a sight, without having to double the track amount on the screen, because all audiotracks have to be unfolded first.
Nuendo 7 | Win7 x64, Intel i7 6700k, Asus Z170-A | RME Fireface 802 | RME Babyface | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha 01v96i | JBL LSR4328 | Tannoy Revial 6 | Avid S3 | Mackie Control Universal | X-Keys Joystick | BCR 2000 | Novation Nocturn | Pro Tools 12 HD

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:22 pm

gph wrote:
TimoWildenhain wrote:Hello,

we are happy to have a closer look at the requests. For Nuendo 8.0 we won't have these included.
And regarding the new EQ: it has been developed based on user requests, stating that an 8-band EQ
is a must have for mixing.

Thanks,
Timo
Thanks Timo. I appreciate you taking a look at multiple sequences / tempo / grid segmentation.

If you need any input from a real problem scenario or demo, I'd be more than happy to contribute over Skype, phone, email, face-to-face, or through Christian or Thorsten as part of beta testing.

I understand other users might have asked for an 8-band EQ. The big difference in my mind with that, however, is that if I was really desperate for an 8-band EQ I could select from many to buy and just plug in a VST. The problem I am really depserate to solve cannot be solved with a plugin - the only place I can go is you guys (or the one other DAW that does have the capability).

Thanks - and please - I'd be delighted to draft a problem statement more precisely.

Graham
Thanks Graham. I appreciate your input, let's think about these improvements over the next weeks.

Best,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Kewl wrote:On macOS, will it be "Retina-ready" ?
Not the initial 8.0 version. But we're working on a solution. This "Retina" topic really is a very complex one,
for plug-in behaviour and the GUI of Nuendo itself.

Thanks,
Timo
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:32 pm

Tronic wrote:Will N8 be able to compete with Reaper when it comes to ambisonic audio production?

The teaser video mentions "immersive sound" but tells us nothing specific, and other than the usual brand name product mention, the N8 features list tells us nothing about possible improvements to the busing architecture that might enable HOA usage.
First of all, Nuendo 8 will get the final development of the Dolby Atmos Panning system (VST Multipanner + optional RMU Connector). Nuendo 7.1 was just a beta release, but 8.0 will include some user feedback.

I cannot reveal more specifics about our integration for VIrtual Reality audio, but be sure that we know what Reaper and other solutions provide. That being said, it is our goal to provide the most sophisticated technology for Immersive Sound production. Currently, we have a kind-of prototype implementation in a specific Nuendo 8 test-version. This will be discussed in non-public presentations with partners at GDC. Summed up: it's too early to tell more details, but if you plan to attend GDC....let me know!

Thanks,
Timo
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

heisenberg9

Post by heisenberg9 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:27 am

TimoWildenhain wrote:Nuendo 8 will get the final development of the Dolby Atmos Panning system (VST Multipanner + optional RMU Connector). Nuendo 7.1 was just a beta release, but 8.0 will include some user feedback.

I cannot reveal more specifics about our integration for VIrtual Reality audio... it is our goal to provide the most sophisticated technology for Immersive Sound production. Currently, we have a kind-of prototype implementation in a specific Nuendo 8 test-version...

Thanks,
Timo
This is really exciting. Thanks for the heads up Timo.
Andrew
--
Nuendo 8.2.10 (build 198)
--
Hardware related to issue tracking:
ASUS P9x79, i7-3930K CPU OC to 4.05 khz, 64 GB, combination of SSDs & HDs, Blackmagic Decklink Card with HD-SDI Monitor used in Nuendo, Firewire Card, MOTU Traveler mkIII, GTX 580 2 GB of VRAM with 2 Monitors, NVIDIA Driver 388.71 WHQL running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with eLicenser & iLok dongles.

For Issue tracking, the MIDI controllers used:
Mackie MCU+C4, X-Touch Compact, X-Station & Steinberg TP, CH & AI

For issue tracking, brands or software instruments & effects commonly used:
VEPro, Vienna Instruments, MIR & Suite; script heavy Kontakt Libraries such as Spitfire, Heavyocity, NI, Soniccouture, Sound Dust, also UVI Falcon & rewired Ableton Live 10, Max 7, Melodyne and Reason 8. EFX often used are by Lexicon PCM Reverbs & Effects, FabFilter, IRCAM Spat, SoundToys, (iZotope), Eventide, Waves plugins, etc.

ErikG

Post by ErikG » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:08 am

Domilik wrote: a bit off-topic, but I want to respond, in fact I don't edit that much, it's more copying.
I have it quite often that I did a pan-automation on one track, then I add some more sound-layers afterwards on the next tracks where I want to paste the same automation to. In PT its just a few clicks: Switch view to panning, select the range with auto-data, press 'c', press 'ö' (for moving sel-range to next track), press 'v'. Then again press 'ö', press 'v', press 'ö', press 'v'...and so on... Just a few seconds work!
In editing it's more about selecting for example automation data on dozens of tracks with just one range-tool-click, because there are no audio-lanes "in the way". When I want a panning on 8 tracks to beginn 6 frames earlier, it's one select-click and then 6x-nudge. So fast.
And, of course, it's about oversight. When I do volume-pass I like to see all the automation lanes on a sight, without having to double the track amount on the screen, because all audiotracks have to be unfolded first.
I to like To be able to overlap a single parameter on top of the track as PT does. I don't get why we still don't have that possibility.
And yes the editing/copying is faster/smarter in PT than in Nuendo, that is true.
But this is the be wrong thread for a discussion about this. But I'm happy to keep comparing features with PT if you like in another thread. But I guess I may have started it so I am not blaming you.
Filmlance
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 2k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

Chewy Papadopoulos

Post by Chewy Papadopoulos » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:56 pm

Timo!

Striking while the iron is hot here-- and I realize I didn't actually ask a question earlier, so restated for specificity:

Will the issues with Workspaces, including the one that annoys me most, where Channel Edit Window channel assignments are lost upon recall, in line to be fixed? Are they on a list? Will they be dealt with?

In collegial admiration and mutual adoration of Nuendo,

Chewy
N8x, C8, Halion, UAD-2s (Quad PCI, Satellite & SOLO/Laptop), Fireface 800, UR-22, MC Control, MacPro 12 core 3.46GHz, 64 Gigs RAM OS 10.11.6; MacBook Pro 4 core, 16 Gigs, OS 10.13.4

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:43 am

Hi Timo. thanks for this update! Lots of killer stuff! I'm looking forward to cross grading from Cubase to Nuendo, but I won't be able to if the GUI issue which is plaguing many Mac users is still an issue. You can see on the Cubase 9 forum that a sticky has been put up with me trying to help Fabio get to the bottom of the issue...but as I said on another thread here I can't imagine Nuendo users being able to deal with the issue as it exists on Cubase at this time (since 8.5).

N8 is based on C9, so will we be seeing a fix to the dreaded GUI lag that many of us Mac users are experiencing since C8.5?
Cubase 9.5, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, High Sierra 10.13.4 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 64 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

Tronic

Post by Tronic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:49 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:
Tronic wrote:Will N8 be able to compete with Reaper when it comes to ambisonic audio production?

First of all, Nuendo 8 will get the final development of the Dolby Atmos Panning system (VST Multipanner + optional RMU Connector). Nuendo 7.1 was just a beta release, but 8.0 will include some user feedback.

I cannot reveal more specifics about our integration for VIrtual Reality audio, but be sure that we know what Reaper and other solutions provide. That being said, it is our goal to provide the most sophisticated technology for Immersive Sound production. Currently, we have a kind-of prototype implementation in a specific Nuendo 8 test-version. This will be discussed in non-public presentations with partners at GDC. Summed up: it's too early to tell more details, but if you plan to attend GDC....let me know!

Thanks,
Timo
OK, so can we assume whatever VR audio developments there might be in N8 they will dovetail with the spatial audio specs Wwise have recently announced?

Bifop

Post by Bifop » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Great news here... Bye bye NeK, at last... :-)
I for one am VERY interested to see what the partnership with Nokia and the OZO will give.
I have a documentary project involving this camera coming (which I closely saw in action last weekend).
I can't wait to get the music improvement from Cubase 9 as well as the post pro specific features (distant ADR really !!!)....
Personal setup : Nuendo 8.2 on ASUS PRIME Z270-A -I7 7700K - Win10 pro 64bits- SSD - 4 x LCD screens + 40" on Blackmagic intensity. Steinberg UR824 + MR816 - 2 X Avid Artist Mix + Artist control + Euphonix transport. LCR Focal Twin.

Nuage 32 faders on Mac Pro 12 cores. 5.1 Focal twin. Ssl Xlogic Alpha link Madi at workplace.

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:54 pm

So GDC is happening right now yeah?! Will there be any official preview videos released by Steinberg?
If not I sure hope someone shoots some video of it!
;)
iMacPro 10 Cores, 64 Gigs Ram. High Sierra 10.13.3. CubasePro 9.5 and Nuendo 8 (latests). Universal Audio Interfaces.

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi all,

Saturday evening here - just returned from a tremendously successful GDC. We were delighted to welcome
many friends from the game audio industry and from the Game Audio Network Guild, many interested professionals
who are about to switch over to Nuendo from other platforms, as well as many guys that are already part of the Nuendo family.

Yes, there will be a video review of this exciting show. I will be around in the forums again soon, but need
to recover from jetlag and five very intense GDC days ;-)

Thanks,
Timo
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:27 pm

Great. Thank you!
And congrats on the big success.

B
iMacPro 10 Cores, 64 Gigs Ram. High Sierra 10.13.3. CubasePro 9.5 and Nuendo 8 (latests). Universal Audio Interfaces.

Heiner Einbier

Post by Heiner Einbier » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:26 pm

Umm - just a little question RE future integration of NEK...
Am I right in understanding that I can then open Cubase projects in Nuendo, save them as Cubase projects in Nuendo, and collaborate with other Cubase users from my Nuendo - in short, that I now will have full Cubase functionality in Nuendo, with tempo track, score editor etc, and can pass on my Cubase licence to my daughter?
ASUS/Intel Z270 chipset - Core i7-7700K CPU 4.2GHz - 32GB RAM
RME Fireface UCX, current driver
BlackMagic DeckLink MiniMonitor SDI, current driver
AVID Artist mix, current driver
Windows 10

Asus Notebook Core i7 5500U 12 GB RAM
Windows 10

Nuendo 8.2
Cubase Pro 9.5.21

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Heiner Einbier wrote:Umm - just a little question RE future integration of NEK...
Am I right in understanding that I can then open Cubase projects in Nuendo, save them as Cubase projects in Nuendo, and collaborate with other Cubase users from my Nuendo - in short, that I now will have full Cubase functionality in Nuendo, with tempo track, score editor etc, and can pass on my Cubase licence to my daughter?
Not if you use VCA's in the projects.
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

Windows-7 Pro 64-bit, i7 Quad core 2.66 15GB ram, Nuendo-8.2.0, Wavelab-6, 2x MR816CSX, RME FireFace UFX, SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Halion-5, Halion Sonic 2, Kontakt-5, Roland V-Drums TD-20X
Cubase iC Pro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth)
Omnisphere, Trillian + loads of real instruments.

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:30 am

Timo,

I have to say that it's easy to see your and Steinberg's increased sharing of information and engagement here. I for one greatly appreciate that. Just creates a different (better) feel overall, as well as confidence inspiring to see Nuendo being treated like the flagship, as it should be.

I am a music producer, but still prefer Nuendo for various reasons. Thanks for making me feel valued as a customer with the refreshed approach!
i7 5960X/32 GB at 4.3GHz with x7 SSDs - Win 7/64 - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad - VEP

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:04 am

Getalife2 wrote:Timo,

I have to say that it's easy to see your and Steinberg's increased sharing of information and engagement here. I for one greatly appreciate that. Just creates a different (better) feel overall, as well as confidence inspiring to see Nuendo being treated like the flagship, as it should be.

I am a music producer, but still prefer Nuendo for various reasons. Thanks for making me feel valued as a customer with the refreshed approach!
Thank you very much. I try to be around in the forums as often as I possibly can.

Kind Regards,
Timo
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:07 am

Heiner Einbier wrote:Umm - just a little question RE future integration of NEK...
Basically - yes. There are some differences though, such as Chris mentioned.
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:07 pm

fenderchris wrote:Hi Timo,

This sounds great.

I love the idea of more frequent new-feature updates. Will this include more frequent bug fixes?

As you can imagine, I'm beside myself with excitement about more cue sends - we both are!

Is it still planned to update N7 with the new video engine before the release of N8, or has that been shelved for now?

(So I was on the right lines about no N7.5) ;)
Is there any chance N8 will still work with the Tango Controller?
Nuendo 1.0 - 8.2 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |

Heiner Einbier

Post by Heiner Einbier » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:48 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:
Basically - yes. There are some differences though, such as Chris mentioned.
Ah. Actually I'm a heavy VCA user in Cubase, not so much in Nuendo. So I suppose I'll stick to cubasing in Cubase then, for the time being... ;)
ASUS/Intel Z270 chipset - Core i7-7700K CPU 4.2GHz - 32GB RAM
RME Fireface UCX, current driver
BlackMagic DeckLink MiniMonitor SDI, current driver
AVID Artist mix, current driver
Windows 10

Asus Notebook Core i7 5500U 12 GB RAM
Windows 10

Nuendo 8.2
Cubase Pro 9.5.21

Return to “General”