Out Now: Nuendo 8

Post general topics related to Nuendo 7 here.
Luis Dongo

Out Now: Nuendo 8

Post by Luis Dongo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:41 pm

Dear Steinberg Community,

we are proud to announce the immediate availability of Nuendo 8, the newest iteration of our award-winning Advanced Audio Post-Production System!

Tailored to meet the demands of today’s audio professionals, Nuendo 8 introduces Game Audio Connect 2 and the Sound Randomizer for supreme game sound design and composing. Great workflow improvements such as the new MixConsole History and Direct Offline Processing round off many further additions to the latest release.

Other new features includes:

• Renamer for automatically renaming events in Nuendo projects
• Sampler track for easy creations of sample-based instruments from audio files
• New effects and updated plug-ins including Frequency EQ, HALion Sonic SE 3, Retrologue 2, AutoPan, Maximizer and many more
• User Profile Manager to easily store and recall program settings and preferences
• ADR improvements, including automatic speech alignment and remote ADR support (available within a future maintenance update)
• New video engine independent from QuickTime technology
• Workflow and stability improvements as well as an enhanced sound content

DNxHD support information
We would like to inform you about a change for the DNxHD support. As Quicktime is not available anymore, the new video engine uses the direct license from Avid for the DNxHD decoder. This is a fee-required license. The Avid DNxHD Decoder for Nuendo will be available on July 12, 2017 as a separate product in the Steinberg Online Shop for €/$ 30.
The implementation is a completely fresh development of the DNxHD integration and doesn't rely on old Quicktime components anymore.

Learn more about these and other new features that Nuendo 8 has to offer.

The Nuendo 8 full retail version and all downloadable updates and upgrades are now available from resellers and through the Steinberg Online Shop.

Thank you for choosing Nuendo!
Luis Dongo
Marketing Manager - Pro Audio

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

Toronja

Re: Out Now: Nuendo 8

Post by Toronja » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:23 pm

Good News!!!!!!!!!!
My only doubt, does it work only from 10.11 and ahead or 10.10 (Yosemite) is also compatible?

Pablo
Music Composer / www.pabloborghi.com

basicX

Post by basicX » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Hey,
whats that with the DNxHD codec? Where to buy the extension and how much will it be?
Over here we pretty much use it all the time. DNxHD36 is that.

cheers
Nuendo 8.1.1, PT 11.3.1, AVID HD Native, AVID HD I/O, AVID I/O192 (Plugins from Sonnox, Waves, iZotope, UAD, Plugin Alliance, and so on...)

Windows 8.1 x64
System from Digital Audio NetworX
Intel Xeon 12core, Gigabyte, 16GB Ram, 2 * Radeon HD, BlackMagic Studio 4k, UAD Quad, AVID HD Native PCIe.
3 * Avid Artis Mix, Monitoring: Studio Technologie Model 74

ManChicken

Post by ManChicken » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Guess you stopped reading the paragraph a little too soon? :lol:
Luis Dongo wrote:The Avid DNxHD Decoder for Nuendo will be available on July 12, 2017 as a separate product in the Steinberg Online Shop for €/$ 30.

heisenberg9

Post by heisenberg9 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:32 pm

basicX wrote:Hey,
whats that with the DNxHD codec? Where to buy the extension and how much will it be?
Over here we pretty much use it all the time. DNxHD36 is that.
You have to read the press release above carefully. You will be able to buy a NEW implementation of the DNxHD/HR codec from July 12th onward in the Steinberg Shop.

Did some digging and discovered there are now two versions of the DNxHD/HR codecs available. There is the free version that us video editors and colourists have been using for eons which is free but there is a version now that contains a licensed MPEG codec within the DNxHD spec that must be licensed. The DNxHD/HR implementation in Steinberg's product is a NEW implementation and presumably more complete than the freely available DNxHD/HR codec pack.

I have created a thread below for discussion the DNxHD/HR topic so we keep this Nuendo 8 announcement free of distraction.

Congratulations Steinberg for making it to the finish line on this one.
Andrew
--
Nuendo 8.2.10 (build 198)
--
Hardware related to issue tracking:
ASUS P9x79, i7-3930K CPU OC to 4.05 khz, 64 GB, combination of SSDs & HDs, Blackmagic Decklink Card with HD-SDI Monitor used in Nuendo, Firewire Card, MOTU Traveler mkIII, GTX 580 2 GB of VRAM with 2 Monitors, NVIDIA Driver 388.71 WHQL running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with eLicenser & iLok dongles.

For Issue tracking, the MIDI controllers used:
Mackie MCU+C4, X-Touch Compact, X-Station & Steinberg TP, CH & AI

For issue tracking, brands or software instruments & effects commonly used:
VEPro, Vienna Instruments, MIR & Suite; script heavy Kontakt Libraries such as Spitfire, Heavyocity, NI, Soniccouture, Sound Dust, also UVI Falcon & rewired Ableton Live 10, Max 7, Melodyne and Reason 8. EFX often used are by Lexicon PCM Reverbs & Effects, FabFilter, IRCAM Spat, SoundToys, (iZotope), Eventide, Waves plugins, etc.

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:15 pm

For someone like me who does mostly production sound editing, voice over recording and editing, and re-recording for TV, I have to say I find the update very underwhelming. If I had been a sound designer or game audio guy then I would probably have been excited about it. But right now I don't see any feature additions that add anything to what Nuendo 7 already does that I would make use of, or are urgent enough to spend money on. I'll probably remain on 7 for quite some time....

Hope it works for everyone else though.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

CHAOS

Post by CHAOS » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:51 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:For someone like me who does mostly production sound editing, voice over recording and editing, and re-recording for TV, I have to say I find the update very underwhelming. If I had been a sound designer or game audio guy then I would probably have been excited about it. But right now I don't see any feature additions that add anything to what Nuendo 7 already does that I would make use of, or are urgent enough to spend money on. I'll probably remain on 7 for quite some time....

Hope it works for everyone else though.
Yes...very underwhelming. Video games...not my thing. Undoubtedly a lot of peoples for such focus, or this is a misstep.
Tune out the humming, turn on the stereo...

Nuendo 7.035 Windows 10 Professional 64-bit CPUSkylake Core i7 (i7-6700, 4 cores/8 threads), 3.4GHz (4.0GHz Max Turbo)MotherboardIntel Z170 ChipsetGraphics/VideoEVGA NVidia GTX1060 6gb Maximum Resolution max 7680x4320@60Hz DP 1.43, HDMI 2.0b, Dual Link-DVI RAM Memory - Included48GB DDR4/2133 MHzMemory - Max64GB (4x16GB)Storage - IncludedSystem - 500GB M.2 Solid State Drive (SATA 6.0 Gb/s), 1 Hot Swap SATA Drive BayStorage - ExpandedAudio - 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (SATA 6.0 Gb/s)

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:17 am

We humans are often so different from one another.

Nuendo is the central hub at the heart of what I do to make music.The cost of updating to N8 from N7 constitutes such a tiny percentage of the total cost of my system, I cannot imagine why I would not do it. If you make any money at all from working with music or post, I can't see how $250 US would be anything but a no-brainer. Undo in the Mixer is not useful, among lots of other things that are new? How do you know how useful it is without using it?

But that's just me.
i7 5960X/32 GB at 4.3GHz with x7 SSDs - Win 7/64 - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad - VEP

CHAOS

Post by CHAOS » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:38 am

Getalife2 wrote:We humans are often so different from one another.

Nuendo is the central hub at the heart of what I do to make music.The cost of updating to N8 from N7 constitutes such a tiny percentage of the total cost of my system, I cannot imagine why I would not do it. If you make any money at all from working with music or post, I can't see how $250 US would be anything but a no-brainer. Undo in the Mixer is not useful, among lots of other things that are new? How do you know how useful it is without using it?

But that's just me.
I agree "Undo" in the mixer is useful. In fact, more so, basic. So basic, it is shocking is hasn't been implemented before. My point is there is no rush to upgrade. I have unfortunately been living without such basic needs as undo mixer and a proper mixdown without a process countdown freeze, that I am in no hurry.
Tune out the humming, turn on the stereo...

Nuendo 7.035 Windows 10 Professional 64-bit CPUSkylake Core i7 (i7-6700, 4 cores/8 threads), 3.4GHz (4.0GHz Max Turbo)MotherboardIntel Z170 ChipsetGraphics/VideoEVGA NVidia GTX1060 6gb Maximum Resolution max 7680x4320@60Hz DP 1.43, HDMI 2.0b, Dual Link-DVI RAM Memory - Included48GB DDR4/2133 MHzMemory - Max64GB (4x16GB)Storage - IncludedSystem - 500GB M.2 Solid State Drive (SATA 6.0 Gb/s), 1 Hot Swap SATA Drive BayStorage - ExpandedAudio - 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (SATA 6.0 Gb/s)

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 am

Getalife2 wrote:We humans are often so different from one another.

Nuendo is the central hub at the heart of what I do to make music.The cost of updating to N8 from N7 constitutes such a tiny percentage of the total cost of my system, I cannot imagine why I would not do it. If you make any money at all from working with music or post, I can't see how $250 US would be anything but a no-brainer.
Because

1) you can say that about any extra item you can add to your workstation. Upgrade to iZotope RX 6? It's only $250. Get a new tape emulation plugin from UA? Only an extra $250.... and so on. It really never ends.... And that's why some people are entirely pragmatic about it. If this new version makes me either work faster, or better, or make it more fun, and significantly so, then of course it's a "no-brainer". But, for me this is not the case. So far there isn't a single issue that I find that important.

2) even if there are features I like, like the profiles and batch-naming and maybe the new offline plugin window, even if those are decent I can easily juxtapose this to something else that's an entirely possible future upgrade for me; BlackmagicDesign's Fairlight DSP card. From what I can tell it'll retail around $1k. So let's say I can find it for about $900, which isn't unreasonable. I'd then (most likely) have a full video editor, full grading app, "full" post DAW (with caveats of course). $900 is a decent chunk of change for an independent engineer to spend on a DSP card, but $650 is more reasonable already. So... I can put my $250 towards that instead, and have a greatly expanded system with two daws, an NLE and a world class grading software.
Getalife2 wrote: Undo in the Mixer is not useful, among lots of other things that are new? How do you know how useful it is without using it?

But that's just me.
I don't know if it's not useful. By judging from my workflow there are very few times I go back and redo things in the mixer. It just doesn't seem like my workflow is impacted by this functionality. I've survived with this for 10-15 years on Pro Tools, and for an equal time on Nuendo (though doing far less paying work), so I'm just not sure how this would improve my work.

So, yeah, of course I might change my mind if I download the demo version and try it out. But I don't even feel compelled to do that to be honest. Like I said, I just find the entire upgrade underwhelming and not exciting in the least. I'd even say it's the least exciting upgrade in a very long time, maybe ever!

Maybe if I start to do game work, or composition... maybe then I'll find things I'll need in it...
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

ErikG

Post by ErikG » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:11 am

To me, as I manage of 12 or so Nuendo rooms, just the new user profiles make it worth it. The new offline processing, (''tis might be bigger and better than I think, but I liked how it used to work so) plugins and announced future remote ADR and dialog matching thingy will be a nice icing that make the expense for the cake well worth it.

And unless you are a "when is the grace period" type of person, then as long as you will update eventually again, then the cost is the same unless I'm mistaken (skip a version and price is higher to update the next time).

I'm not saying this version is a huge wow version.
But it also includes the new video engine, and I bet that took some time from wow making. But it still had to be done.

Fair light/Resolve may become useful eventually, only time will tell. I "heard" they used a lot of open source code to get it to where it is right now. Interesting to see how they will handle that license wise if it is true and/or significant.
Filmlance
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 2k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:27 am

ErikG wrote:To me, as I manage of 12 or so Nuendo rooms, just the new user profiles make it worth it.
I try not to be a narcissist, but I think that was my suggestion actually, a few years back. I think it'll be useful even just for myself should I get a ton of work on Nuendo as it'd make possible to switch from fundamentally different "setups" depending on what type of work one does....
ErikG wrote:The new offline processing, (''tis might be bigger and better than I think, but I liked how it used to work so) plugins and announced future remote ADR and dialog matching thingy will be a nice icing that make the expense for the cake well worth it.

And unless you are a "when is the grace period" type of person, then as long as you will update eventually again, then the cost is the same unless I'm mistaken (skip a version and price is higher to update the next time).

I'm not saying this version is a huge wow version.
But it also includes the new video engine, and I bet that took some time from wow making. But it still had to be done.
Yeah, I'll wait and see. The video engine might be nice, but I have to say that I've had very few problems so far, and I'm not at all scared of the QT vulnerability (since I don't use the player with unknown content).

heisenberg9

Post by heisenberg9 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Been running Nuendo 8 since day 1 of release. Has been running smoothly with no crashes or hangs. CPU utilization appears to be about the same as 7.1.35 and liking the consolidation of workspace areas but still have the Mix Window open on second screen.

Had to reset a few preferences initially with the most notable being the background colours (colors) on some of the edit windows. Background colours were set to be almost identical with grids and rulers. Don't know if that was a one off or a documented issue. Was able to figure it out quick, so just an initial shock.

Controllers seem to work: Mackie MCU a few Steinberg CMC units: TP & AI confirmed to work, X-Touch Compact works as well as keyboard controller. No surprises in that regard.

The changes are evolutionary so your workflow/routine will not be interrupted.

Still have a lot to check out but wanted to let people know the app is not fouled up from big changes.

EDIT: Just recalled that one of my custom VST plugin locations was not picked up during the upgrade from 7.1.35 to version 8. I had to go in and enter it manually.
Andrew
--
Nuendo 8.2.10 (build 198)
--
Hardware related to issue tracking:
ASUS P9x79, i7-3930K CPU OC to 4.05 khz, 64 GB, combination of SSDs & HDs, Blackmagic Decklink Card with HD-SDI Monitor used in Nuendo, Firewire Card, MOTU Traveler mkIII, GTX 580 2 GB of VRAM with 2 Monitors, NVIDIA Driver 388.71 WHQL running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with eLicenser & iLok dongles.

For Issue tracking, the MIDI controllers used:
Mackie MCU+C4, X-Touch Compact, X-Station & Steinberg TP, CH & AI

For issue tracking, brands or software instruments & effects commonly used:
VEPro, Vienna Instruments, MIR & Suite; script heavy Kontakt Libraries such as Spitfire, Heavyocity, NI, Soniccouture, Sound Dust, also UVI Falcon & rewired Ableton Live 10, Max 7, Melodyne and Reason 8. EFX often used are by Lexicon PCM Reverbs & Effects, FabFilter, IRCAM Spat, SoundToys, (iZotope), Eventide, Waves plugins, etc.

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks and congrats on this release! It's been smooth on my end and I'm enjoying the new features.
My only complaint is how long it took for us to get Cubase features, like waiting a year for Retrologue 2, etc.

Thanks again for your hard work. Nuendo is a great daw.

B
iMacPro 10 Cores, 64 Gigs Ram. High Sierra 10.13.3. CubasePro 9.5 and Nuendo 8 (latests). Universal Audio Interfaces.

Return to “General”