Information on QuickTime discontinuation / new video engine

Post general topics related to Nuendo 7 here.
TimoWildenhain

Information on QuickTime discontinuation / new video engine

Post by TimoWildenhain » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:12 pm

Dear forum members,

You may already have heard that the US government has classified QuickTime under Windows as a potential security risk, as Apple has now discontinued supporting QuickTime. The video engine in current Nuendo versions, like in many other products, is based on QuickTime.

While we shall not assume any responsibility from issues caused by third-party technologies, we of course see our responsibility to assure a trouble-free, convenient and secure usage of our products.

How to deal with this potential risk at the moment?
To the best of our knowledge, there is no concrete indication of viruses and other security threats related to the discontinuation of the QuickTime support at the moment, but this may change at any time. We therefore recommend to take the necessary steps in terms of preventive security of your IT system, or to disconnect the production system from the Internet if possible.

When will a solution be delivered?
Independent of the current potential security issue, we already started working on a new video engine a few months ago. The discontinuation of the QuickTime support by Apple forces us to invest even more resources in order to provide a solution at the earliest possible moment. This, however, will still take a couple of months, but we're striving for the availability of a Quicktime-independent video engine still this year.

Thanks for you understanding and we will keep you up to date on the progress.

Best Regards,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

umfufu

Re: Information on QuickTime discontinuation / new video eng

Post by umfufu » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks Timo.

Does this mean that there won't be a Nuendo 7.5 update until the new video engine is done however?
Curious what this might mean for the release date for 7.5.

Thanks.

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:54 pm

umfufu wrote:Thanks Timo.

Does this mean that there won't be a Nuendo 7.5 update until the new video engine is done however?
Curious what this might mean for the release date for 7.5.

Thanks.

Me too. And what happened to v.7.0.40 that was mentioned as being imminent a while back?
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

Windows-7 Pro 64-bit, i7 Quad core 2.66 15GB ram, Nuendo-8.3.0, Wavelab-Elements9.5, 2x MR816CSX, RME FireFace UFX, SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Halion-5, Halion Sonic 2, Kontakt-5, Roland V-Drums TD-20X
Cubase iC Pro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth)
Omnisphere, Trillian + loads of real instruments.

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:44 am

If this info from Timo is still true
viewtopic.php?f=240&t=89337#p500084

and the new video engine is indeed part of the 7.5 update, then it means that 7.5 will not be out for a couple of months, but probably still this year.
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2016 with Touchbar, latest macOS High Sierra 10.13.X, 16GB RAM
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:05 am

Yeah... I'm curious if that's still true.
iMacPro 10 Cores, 64 Gigs Ram. High Sierra 10.13.3. CubasePro 9.5 and Nuendo 8 (latests). Universal Audio Interfaces.

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:41 am

Hello,

thanks for your questions. Based on the current planning, Nuendo 7.5 is not to be released this year.
However, due to the situation caused by Apple, we need to invest more resources into the new video engine
which we hope to release before Nuendo 7.5, still this year.

Thanks,
Timo
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks for the clarification Timo. I know it's annoying having to replace something that worked for years just because somebody dropped the ball. On the plus side, you can use this opportunity to kick ass and create a solid foundation that you have complete control over, never again dependent on another company in this critical area. Thanks for pulling the video engine out and offering it as an update _before_ 7.5.
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2016 with Touchbar, latest macOS High Sierra 10.13.X, 16GB RAM
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:33 am

ChrisPolus wrote:Thanks for the clarification Timo. I know it's annoying having to replace something that worked for years just because somebody dropped the ball. On the plus side, you can use this opportunity to kick ass and create a solid foundation that you have complete control over, never again dependent on another company in this critical area. Thanks for pulling the video engine out and offering it as an update _before_ 7.5.
That is exactly our wish. While we are not a "video" company, we will invest into solutions that make
us a bit more independent from single manufacturers. We will also support additional formats in the new
video engine.

Thanks,
Timo
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:44 am

Timo, I understand your problem with the video engine, but what about fixing the VCA issues? - can we get an interim maintenance update to correct the problems?

Many of us paid for the N7 update just for the VCA features so to have to wait until NEXT YEAR for a possible fix is ludicrous.
Chris

Windows-7 Pro 64-bit, i7 Quad core 2.66 15GB ram, Nuendo-8.3.0, Wavelab-Elements9.5, 2x MR816CSX, RME FireFace UFX, SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Halion-5, Halion Sonic 2, Kontakt-5, Roland V-Drums TD-20X

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:58 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote: That is exactly our wish. While we are not a "video" company, we will invest into solutions that make
us a bit more independent from single manufacturers. We will also support additional formats in the new
video engine.

Thanks,
Timo
That sounds like a transition to ffmpeg.
Latest Nuendo on various Macs
Main machine: Hexacore 3.3 Cheese grater with USB3 and RME Raydat, 48GB RAM, Radeon HD 7970, Caldigit FASTA USB C, Intensity Pro, PT HD 11, macOS 10.13

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:07 pm

fenderchris wrote:Timo, I understand your problem with the video engine, but what about fixing the VCA issues? - can we get an interim maintenance update to correct the problems?

Many of us paid for the N7 update just for the VCA features so to have to wait until NEXT YEAR for a possible fix is ludicrous.
Hello Chris,

the first week of May will see the Nuendo 7.0.40 maintenance update, where a lot of VCA problems have been fixed,
including automation trim mode and a problem related to the mouse wheel.

Thanks,
Timo
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:10 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:
fenderchris wrote:Timo, I understand your problem with the video engine, but what about fixing the VCA issues? - can we get an interim maintenance update to correct the problems?

Hello Chris,

the first week of May will see the Nuendo 7.0.40 maintenance update, where a lot of VCA problems have been fixed,
including automation trim mode and a problem related to the mouse wheel.

Thanks,
Timo
Very good news.

Thanks Timo.

:-)
Chris

Leggy

Post by Leggy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:22 am

Hi Timo,

Great news about the new video engine. I'm hoping we'll get basic editing and direct video export too (and also in Cubase please!). One thing, I'm wondering what format clients will deliver films in now? QuickTime is such a standard particularly if files are being sent from a Mac to a PC system. I'd love to know what you think the best format will be because if it causes any problems to editors I may switch back to OS X.

Thanks

Rob

Cubase 8.5, Nuendo 4, Win 7 64bit
Rob Lord
Stylophonic Music Productions Ltd
www.roblord.com

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:15 am

Rob,

It's the QT player for Windows which is the problem, not the file format.
You can -for example- play QT movies in Mediaplayer ....

Fredo

Leggy

Post by Leggy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:26 am

Hi Fredo,

Long time no see! Ah ok thanks, that's good to know.

Cheers,

Rob
Rob Lord
Stylophonic Music Productions Ltd
www.roblord.com

agilkds

Post by agilkds » Mon May 02, 2016 6:13 pm

How about talking to the guys of VLC? It's a solid player, can play almost any format, and it's also a standard in Windows and Mac... and also Linux (with can open doors to have a kind of a Linux Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab right?) :)
All the best
KDS Recording Studios (Lisbon) - Win7 (64bit), i7 core, 32 gig RAM; Cubase Pro 9.5 (64 bit); Wavelab Pro 9.5 (64 bit); CMC FD (x2); CMC TP; CMC CH; CMC QC; Focusrite Liquid Mix 32; MOTU 424 + 24I/O + 2408 mk3 + 2408 mk2 + 1224 MK2; Mutec Master Clock; Soundcraft Vienna II mixer (+ a lot of analog equipment)

psvennevig

Post by psvennevig » Mon May 02, 2016 6:24 pm

agilkds wrote:How about talking to the guys of VLC? It's a solid player, can play almost any format, and it's also a standard in Windows and Mac... and also Linux (with can open doors to have a kind of a Linux Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab right?) :)
All the best
Good idea. But it is just that, a player. The video engine is so much more. For one the support for video output cards.

ffmpeg is an engine. But it is licensed in a special way.
Nuendo 7.0.x, nMP 8-core with 2xD700, 64GB, Macbook Pro Retina15" i7, RME UFX, RME Babyface, Artist Mix, Control and Transport, CC121.

agilkds

Post by agilkds » Wed May 04, 2016 3:07 pm

psvennevig wrote:
agilkds wrote:How about talking to the guys of VLC? It's a solid player, can play almost any format, and it's also a standard in Windows and Mac... and also Linux (with can open doors to have a kind of a Linux Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab right?) :)
All the best
Good idea. But it is just that, a player. The video engine is so much more. For one the support for video output cards.

Ok, but behind the player must be an engine of some sort. It's just a matter of knowing if it's compatible or not, and if the engine per se can be embeded in Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab, and doors will be open to a wonderfull world of multisystems/OS compatible stuff (and open code too, what can be a problem to Steinberg, and the only reason i see for them not to want this...). All the best guys :)
KDS Recording Studios (Lisbon) - Win7 (64bit), i7 core, 32 gig RAM; Cubase Pro 9.5 (64 bit); Wavelab Pro 9.5 (64 bit); CMC FD (x2); CMC TP; CMC CH; CMC QC; Focusrite Liquid Mix 32; MOTU 424 + 24I/O + 2408 mk3 + 2408 mk2 + 1224 MK2; Mutec Master Clock; Soundcraft Vienna II mixer (+ a lot of analog equipment)

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Fri May 13, 2016 9:01 am

psvennevig wrote:
All the best

Pal is right. A video engine that is used in a software like Nuendo is much more than a player engine for playing
back formats in a consumer video player. That being said, we are working under full speed to develop a new
and solid engine.

In a second step, this new engine will be enhanced with further functionalitiy, such as video rendering. But the
most urgent task is to replace the current QT-based engine.

Kind Regards,
Timo
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

uarte

Post by uarte » Mon May 16, 2016 3:16 pm

Hi Timo, wonder if you could give us an update on this situation -- any rough idea when the replacement might be done? Ongoing updates are always appreciated! We don't need all the new functionality of course -- just initially the replacement for QT.

jorisdeman

Post by jorisdeman » Tue May 24, 2016 1:35 pm

Hey Guys,

I've just made a post on using an open source MTC video player in the interim here:
viewtopic.php?f=240&t=97689
It works on both Mac and PC (and potentially Linux, though I havent tried that)

It's working out very well for me, so it might help other people while we await a solution.
Nuendo 8, Mac Os X Sierra 10.12.5 / Windows 10 | iMac 5k 4gh i7 2016 maxed with 32gb ram | X-keys |PT Control | VSLE Pro | UAD Apollo Quad via Thunderbolt | Dual Xeon & i7 Hexacore Slave PC's | G-tech G-Raid drives

basicX

Post by basicX » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:06 am

Hey guys,
any news on the progress?
Are we about to see the new engine this year? And will it be in the near future, or will it be at the end of this year?

Thanks a lot

cheers
Nuendo 8.1.1, PT 11.3.1, AVID HD Native, AVID HD I/O, AVID I/O192 (Plugins from Sonnox, Waves, iZotope, UAD, Plugin Alliance, and so on...)

Windows 8.1 x64
System from Digital Audio NetworX
Intel Xeon 12core, Gigabyte, 16GB Ram, 2 * Radeon HD, BlackMagic Studio 4k, UAD Quad, AVID HD Native PCIe.
3 * Avid Artis Mix, Monitoring: Studio Technologie Model 74

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:56 am

From what we know from Timo, the engine should be released this year, if everything goes well. My guess is more towards "the end of the year". The 7.5 update was postponed to next year to give the video engine priority.

palmleaf

Post by palmleaf » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Just finished setting up a new workstation. The third WIN10 Nuendo DAW I'm setting up this year.
Turns out Apple has now completely removed some prores-codecs for win and QT for win.
The only way to make it work now was to get the codec from another computer and manually replace the AppleProResDecoder.qtx file in the new install (C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem)
Looked around the internets for the decoder with no luck so we might want to hang on to this file for a while.

Rumor has it the safest way to keep working in Nuendo (and stay online) is to do a custom QT install and uncheck everything but the player itself. By all means, I obviously can't guarantee your safety. I whish someone could shine a light on this since it seems to be an international emergency with Apple updates.

My frustration with Apple has risen to new levels so I wish you the best of luck with an independent video-engine!
Make sure it plays prores though.
/// power user ///

drorh4

Post by drorh4 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Hey.

Any idea about the new video engine implement in N7?
Win10 - Nuendo 8.1.10 - Wavelab 7
RME multiface2
Waves/ plugin Alliance/Sound toys

Return to “General”