Hairpin/dynamic placement

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
R Pearl

Hairpin/dynamic placement

Post by R Pearl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:11 am

I have looked through the forum, but can't find the precise answer to this issue: I have flow which ends with three whole notes in 4/4 tied. I want a decrees. hairpin with a pp dynamic at the end. When I use the Dynamics popover, the attachment points for both the hairpin and the dynamic create an additional bar; I can move the hairpin and the dynamic, but the dynamic still has its attachment in the added bar, which I obviously don't want. What setting am I missing? If I untie the whole notes, I can put in the dynamics disregarding the last whole note, retie everything, move them into place - everything stays within bounds, so to speak, but as the final dynamic is attached before the end of the bar, there is no decrees.
attachment.png
(219.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet

dbudde

Re: Hairpin/dynamic placement

Post by dbudde » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:28 am

Just select the hairpin and shift-option-left_arrow to move it back a bit. The dynamic mark will move with it if it is part of the group.
MacBook Pro 16GB - OS X 10.13 beta

R Pearl

Post by R Pearl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:02 am

Thank you! I suspect I will use this enough to remember it.

Much appreciated!

MarcLarcher

Post by MarcLarcher » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:03 am

Shift-option-arrow is a VERY efficient tool : you lengthen/shorten hairpins, gradual tempi, BUT ALSO note durations. It is sooo easy to input a half note tied to an 8th, a whole note tied to a quarter note tied to a 16th… Just select a 8th or 16th note in the grid (left bottom corner of the screen in Write mode) and play with the tool after entering your notes. Once you taste that, you cannot forget it ! The results with insert mode on can also be very interesting.
OS X 10.11.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and a sometimes music engraver
French is my native language

R Pearl

Post by R Pearl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Marc - yes, I use the arrows to adjust note length and placement ALL the time! It is one of the brilliant navigating/notating tools that really excites my colleagues when they see how easy it is the adjust things. I was unaware - or just hadn't thought about it - that it could be used on hairpins/dynamics.

Good to learn new things!

Return to “Dorico”