Tokens

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
orchetect

Re: Tokens

Post by orchetect » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:44 am

Another vote for a {@TotalPages@} token.

Could it be possible in future to add user-created tokens? ie: in the Project Info window, add a listbox that the user can add any number of custom token names, each with text entry boxes. That way users won't have to post feature requests for tokens like "orchestrator" etc.

I'll also drop a link here to my feature request thread for an improved Project Info window:
viewtopic.php?f=246&t=109622

(Basic photoshopped idea for window layout)

Steffan Andrews | Composer for Film/TV | Custom iPad control surface developer | website | imdb
DAW: Mac Pro 6,1 (trashcan) 3.5GHz 6-core 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD, macOS 10.13.6, Cubase 10.0.30 rc3, Cubase 10.5.0 a2, Dorico 2.1
Converters/Monitoring: UA Apollo Duo Thunderbolt x 2, Apollo 16 Thunderbolt, Focal Twin6/Sub6
Gear: Vertigo VSM-2, Pultec EQM-1S3 pair, Manley Massive Passive, Neve Portico II Master Buss Processor, Manley ELOP, Manley Nu Mu, API 2500, Smart C2, Dangerous Compressor, Millennia STT-1 & HV-3C, Aurora GTQ2 x 2, Manley Core, Neumann M149 / U87ai / TLM170R pair / KM184 mt, Schoeps CMC64 stereo pair, Gefell UM70S, AT5040 & AT5045, Yamaha CP33, 5 iPads running custom DAW control surface software

stevebarker77

Post by stevebarker77 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:43 pm

I hope it's ok to bring this thread back to the top, but I couldn't find anywhere more suitable to ask whether it's possible to code things like line breaks or italic text into the project info so that when you use tokens it would display correctly. For example, if the composer was Tallis, his dates are c.1505-1585 and the 'c' should correctly be in italics - I'd like to be able to code that into the Composer Dates so that when I use {@projectcomposerdates@} it displays it as (c.1505–1585); similarly, I've got a long lyricist which explains where the text has come from but I'd like to force line breaks in a particular place. Is this possible? I can't find it documented anywhere, or anyone else trying to the same thing!

Thanks!
Steve

sspharis

Post by sspharis » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:16 pm

I don't know how to get the result you want with italics.

For line breaks see: viewtopic.php?f=246&t=125351&p=680129&h ... ak#p680129.

Alternatively, I've had success simply formatting the line breaks I want in OpenOffice and then pasting the formatted text into project info fields.

Stew

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:42 pm

I could not format any composer or lyricist field, and actually the other information field would let break lines without any problem, just with enter key. And no one from Steinberg has written anything about that, in the other thread that you cite…
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

sspharis

Post by sspharis » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:07 pm

The attachment shows what I got when I copied WordPerfect text to flowLyracist and OpenOffice text to flowComposer. I got similar results pasting to flowCopyright.

The thread I cited suggested pasting only the line break code from Word. I was able to create line breaks in several fields using this method too.

Stew
LineBreaks.jpg
(78.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:10 am

Thank you sspharis !

It would be interesting if we could input these line breaks directly in Dorico, but still nice to know a workaround in the meantime !
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

musicmaven

Post by musicmaven » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:00 am

Well, the Copyright and Other information tokens seem to be coded to allow multiple line input and output. Perhaps as a feature request Dorico could allow any token to have multiple lines? If not, this could certainly be done manually.
Dorico Pro 2.2.10.1256, Finale 1.0 through Finale 97, Sibelius 2-7.5, Notion 5.2, Composer's Mosaic, MuseScore 2, Digital Performer 5, iMac, MacBook Air, Oxygen 61, OS X 10.12.6

Pianoplayah

Post by Pianoplayah » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:27 am

Hi there! I definitely second the suggestions for new tokens already mentioned above. As a musical theatre writer, we often need to print out score revisions day after day and being able to have the date on those is essential, so having a date token would be amazing! For now the "Annotations" Print option works.

A question about {@playernames@} and {@playerlist@}: When I use these they include all the players for the whole project. Is there a way to get them to display the players just for their flow? Specifically, I'm working on a musical, and have set up each song as a Flow and each character as a Player (really excited to be able to do that haha). I would love to be able to have my template automatically list which characters are in each song. Thank you!

-David

musicmaven

Post by musicmaven » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:32 pm

This is a great idea Pianoplayah, along with the line breaks and the ultimate freedom of creating your own tokens mentioned earlier in this thread.
Dorico Pro 2.2.10.1256, Finale 1.0 through Finale 97, Sibelius 2-7.5, Notion 5.2, Composer's Mosaic, MuseScore 2, Digital Performer 5, iMac, MacBook Air, Oxygen 61, OS X 10.12.6

Ed-222

Post by Ed-222 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:55 pm

I totally agree with Pianoplayah to even if he wasn't the first to ask about adding a {@flowPlayerlist@} or a {@flowPlayernames@} Tokens. If added latter in a 1.3 or a 2.0 version, it could be great to choose between a column display or a line display depending where you put the Text Frame and its size. For exemple {@playerlist@}/{@linePlayerlist@} or something like that.
Also vote for {@date@}, {@projectTotalages@}/{@flowTotalages@} Token should be nice.

About the use of Tokens:
- Daniel gives us a list of available tokens in this topic. That really nice and usefull (I do use a Franch version of Dorico but tokens stay in English, not that simple du find the proper sequence).
-> I think it could be so great, and even more usefull, to offer a dropdown list of available Tokens to users in the Engrave Mode, especialy for non English versions.

- There are many font characters available for Tokens (that's great) but we are obliged to select one after an other to choose witch one best fits to the Token (so it can takes a lot of time). On World, when you highlight a front character, the text imediatly change in order to show you the result, isn't it possible on Dorico ?

andgle

Post by andgle » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Ed-222 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:55 pm

- Daniel gives us a list of available tokens in this topic. That really nice and usefull (I do use a Franch version of Dorico but tokens stay in English, not that simple du find the proper sequence).
There is a pdf with all tokens here
Anders

Ed-222

Post by Ed-222 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:44 am

Thank you very much andgle. That's a very useful page.

Ok, ok, So I think I should edit my last post because, with the PDF, a dropdown list of Tokens in the Engrave Mode is maybe not that important.
:roll:

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:00 am

I think it would be very useful to be able to right-click and insert tokens from a context menu when editing text in a frame, and we plan to do this in the future.

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:13 am

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:00 am
I think it would be very useful to be able to right-click and insert tokens from a context menu when editing text in a frame, and we plan to do this in the future.
This will be a welcome addition for sure!
🎵 Full-time Sacred Musician, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer (Adjunct Organ Instructor, Goshen College)
💾 Dorico 3 pro, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk Advanced, On1, FinalCut Pro, Camtasia
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, 3m Organ Console

albert0984

Post by albert0984 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:59 pm

A solution to Ed-222’s token formatting (e.g. in {@flowplayerlist@}) could be a ‘new’ dialog box to set how each token will print its content when typed on a text frame. There you could change the distribution of the Player list (for instance, to show Flute I & II or Flute I, Flute II; to be column-typed or, if line-typed, to set the separator between each player (comma, slash, space, etc.): Piccolo | Flute, etc.).
One more setting could be the ability to add a prefix or suffix to the content of a token and style it in a different way than the token content (useful, say, in {@flowcomposer@} (J.S. Bach), where you could add a prefix with ‘Composed by’ and set it in italics: Composed by J.S. Bach; or in {@flowcompositionyear@} (1715), with its propper italic prefix ‘c.’: c. 1715).

Hope it helps!
Albert.

Ed-222

Post by Ed-222 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:00 am
I totally agree with you Daniel.

Albert,
I think your idea is good. It could give more flexibility to the token formatting.

schullz

Post by schullz » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Another suggestion for tokens: {@FlowPage@}
I input different songs into the same project, but the page numbers of each song shall be printed. E. g. Title Page, 2nd page: "Song XY - p. 2", 3rd page: "Song XY - p. 3"... In the next flow, the same thing: Title Page, 2nd page: "Song ABC - p. 2" ...
Thank you!
Axel
Axel Chr. Schullz - composer from Germany
https://www.sing-human-rights.org

koen renders

Post by koen renders » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Peadey wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:51 pm
A small request, if possible: {@flownumber@} or something like this. A counter from the first to the last flow (automaticly). Thank you.
+1

I'm arranging a series of songs for a concert and it would be nice to be able to reorder the flows on a later occasion.

Also it would be nice to get the option to display the flownumber with Roman numerals.
Cubase Pro 9.0.10

DSale

Post by DSale » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Another token that would be very useful is {@flowTiming@}. I like to have the duration available on the first page and having a token for this that would update automatically would be very helpful.

Thanks
David Sale
Composer/Arranger
Dorico Pro 3.0 Win 10
https://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/ ... ndEditions

Return to “Dorico”