diamond note-heads?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Xaptke

diamond note-heads?

Post by Xaptke » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:19 pm

Am I correct in seeing that there is no tool to change the shape of a note-head, not even to a diamond for string harmonics?

anningmay

Re: diamond note-heads?

Post by anningmay » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Choose a note and right click on it (or Ctrl-click on Mac). A contextual menu appears, and one of the option is "Noteheads." Diamond noteheads can be found within, among many others.

zmanjams

Post by zmanjams » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:36 pm

This is available from a contextual menu. Select the note(s) in question. Open the contextual menu (right click) then select Notehead > to see a dropdown of options. There are 3 types of diamonds.

mati

Post by mati » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:06 pm

Unfortunately Dorico, at the moment, seems to lack a diamond half notehead symbol necessary to write string harmonics…

Maybe we'll receive an official confirmation about that and, hopefully, a short-term implementation.

mati

Post by mati » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:54 am

Diamond half notehead: any official word about it?

Thanks

Rob Tuley

Post by Rob Tuley » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:30 pm

What exactly do you mean by "diamond half notehead"? Can you attach a picture of one?

I think the "diamond notehead" in Dorico is the standard notation for string harmonics.

mati

Post by mati » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:09 pm

Hi Rob,

For example (I'm not able to upload an image now, sorry!):

http://www.moderncellotechniques.com/im ... ouch_4.png
Last edited by mati on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BachN4th

Post by BachN4th » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:12 pm

I believe it's an issue of being an open (outlined like a half note) diamond vs closed (completely filled in, like a quarter note). It's a widely used practice that no matter the note length of the harmonic diamond head, it should be open like a halfnote. So far I've not seen a way to force that option. Yes, it's fine for half note/whole note harmonics, but for shorter notes we have to live with the filled in diamond head.

There may be a workaround using other voices for the diamond, so it's length can be a half note - but for now I'm content to just leave diamond heads as they currently are until a true harmonic notation is added. It still gets the point across.

Rob Tuley

Post by Rob Tuley » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:51 pm

OK, I understand now - you meant "a diamond notehead for a half note" - i.e. a "white" diamond not a "black" one.

I'm in the UK, and we don't use "half note", "full note" etc - except when talking to people from the USA!

I thought a "half notehead" meant a half-sized (small) notehead, or something that looked like "half a diamond" (i.e. a triangle shape).

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:57 pm

The plan is for us to implement a proper harmonic playing technique for string instruments that would not involve manually changing the notehead type of a two-note chord.

mati

Post by mati » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:54 pm

I supposed you were cooking such a thing!

However, it should great to have a diamond half notehead as an alternative option; very useful in other contexts…

Thanks

T Earl

Post by T Earl » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi Folks,

Any news on the aforementioned 'white' diamond notes or harmonic playing techniques coming in a near-future update?
"Take an object. Do something to it. Do something else to it." - Jasper Johns

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:43 pm

I'm afraid not in the forthcoming 1.0.30 update, no.

mati

Post by mati » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Any news?
Having the symbol as a notehead option, not bound to the rhythmic value, it would be a really great improvement!

I work with a lot of contemporary scores, and the symbol is ubiquitous, not only confined to the string harmonics: winds harmonics, breathing and whistling sounds, special vocal techniques, silent pressed keys.
And this lack often prevents me to use Dorico.

Thanks

AndyVegetable

Post by AndyVegetable » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 pm

mati wrote:I work with a lot of contemporary scores, and the symbol is ubiquitous, not only confined to the string harmonics: winds harmonics, breathing and whistling sounds, special vocal techniques, silent pressed keys.
I believe, in Finale, t's a stave style 'Rhythmic Notation' that "turns the music into beamed and stemmed slashes, all on the middle line of the staff." - to quote their manual.

It hasn't been a huge issue, so far, but can be a bit irksome to find a work-around.

Rhythmic and Slash notation would be great, especially when working up a chart for my rhythm section.

mati

Post by mati » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:02 pm

That's an example of what I mean…
Attachments
Schermata.png
(177.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Dorico”