Piano with three staffs

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.

Piano with three staffs

Postby boye » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:40 pm

How do I add a third staff (with cross-staff barlines) to a piano grand staff?
And similarly, how do I transform a single staff into a piano grand staff?

The first example is often needed in certain elaborate types of piano writing, whereas the other comes in handy when creating a full piano version based on a lead sheet or simple vocal line.

Best,
Boye
boye

Re: Piano with three staffs

Postby Liamk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:13 pm

I have the same question, and I would also like to know how to hide or remove the third staff at certain places in the score. I imported a piano score with MusicXML which has three staves by mistake, and I haven't figured out how to remove the extra one.
Liamk

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:40 pm

I'm afraid the short answer is that, for now, you can't: the plan is that we will have an event that will change the number of staves in an instrument from a given rhythmic position, so you would be able to specify a move from two staves to three, or indeed one staff to two. I'm not sure when this will be implemented: possibly not in the very first update, but we will add it as soon as we can.
Daniel at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Postby boye » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:52 pm

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:I'm afraid the short answer is that, for now, you can't: the plan is that we will have an event that will change the number of staves in an instrument from a given rhythmic position, so you would be able to specify a move from two staves to three, or indeed one staff to two. I'm not sure when this will be implemented: possibly not in the very first update, but we will add it as soon as we can.

Thanks for clarifying this.

Best,
Boye
boye

Postby vbridet98 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi,

I would like to relaunch this question.
Do you know when Dorico will be able to support modifications of the number of staff, by instrument ? Maybe, the next update ?

Thanks for all and sorry for my english ...
vbridet98

Postby Robert P » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi Daniel,

As I am setting my first real-world Dorico score project these days, a contemporary piece for the piano, the question of staff flexibility appears to be crucial. Depending on the passage, my piece may show 1 to 4 staves.
Could you please give us an update of this feature?

Another question: is is possible to change the notehead size in a specific passage, to 75% for instance? (Think of Chopin’s study op.25 in Ab major for instance, where small and normal noteheads are mixed).

These are rather straighforward in product B.

Otherwise, Dorico appears to be very flexible in voicing, rhythm, beaming etc. :-) The fact the time signature is not essentially required is very useful for the piano repertoire where, very often, we deal with open rhythms (think of Charles Ives or Erik Satie, for instance...)

Many thanks,
Robert
Robert P

Postby fratveno » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:33 pm

This is a frequent question, but it isn't yet possible officially. You may look at this thread, but I'm neither encouraging nor recommending it. Merely stating that it is possible.

Dorico uses oversized noteheads by default, so you may change noteheads to Default, which reduces the size. I'm not sure of the percentage in reduction though.
Cubase Pro 9.0.20/VEP 6 network - Dorico 1.0.30 - Finale 2012c [and 25.3] (user since V1 (1988)) - Notation Composer 3.0.6 - on Windows 7. Hauptwerk and too many sound libraries. [evaluating NotePerformer 2.0.2]
fratveno

Postby Stephen Taylor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Last week I imported a piano piece with three staves as an xml file - and voila! Three staves in Dorico!

So maybe you can try making a short piece with three staves in another program, and then importing as xml.
Dorico 1.0.30, Sibelius 7.5, Logic Pro, Max, Kyma; MacOS Sierra
http://www.stephenandrewtaylor.net
Stephen Taylor

Postby Robert P » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Thank you all.
I'd rather not use workarounds for this staff problem, and this is why I was asking Daniel in the first place.
The feature of a system-based variable number of staves (2-4, sometimes 1-4) is very common in piano music, and this is why I think it should be built-in. I believe it can be seen in organ music, too, and potentially in other situations (pitched percussion?)

Robert
Robert P

Postby thicks » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:49 pm

This would also be great for use with pitched keyboard percussion. Especially vibraphone since orchestral/band parts usually only use one line, but percussion ensemble/chamber music and especially solo vibraphone music use two staves. I thought it was odd this wasn't an option since the option for a 4 octave vibraphone was given.

Thanks!

TH
thicks

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:57 am

It will of course be built-in in the future, but unfortunately we cannot work on everything at the same time. The team is very busy working on chord symbols, editing note spacing, pedal lines, and a few other things besides for the next update. I hope that we will be able to look into changing the number of staves in an instrument in the following update, but I can't promise it.
Daniel at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Postby Robert P » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks again, Daniel, and of course I understand that patience is the rule!
;)
Robert P

Postby Stephen Taylor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:34 pm

Here is a blank Dorico template for 3-staff piano, made from an imported xml file if this is useful.

3-staff-piano.dorico.zip
(199.88 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Dorico 1.0.30, Sibelius 7.5, Logic Pro, Max, Kyma; MacOS Sierra
http://www.stephenandrewtaylor.net
Stephen Taylor

Postby fratveno » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks for bringing this up, Stephen. Dorico seems to be very obidient with MuseScore exports :) Finale always gave me 3 flutes with a bracket when I attempted to import some piano scores...
Cubase Pro 9.0.20/VEP 6 network - Dorico 1.0.30 - Finale 2012c [and 25.3] (user since V1 (1988)) - Notation Composer 3.0.6 - on Windows 7. Hauptwerk and too many sound libraries. [evaluating NotePerformer 2.0.2]
fratveno

Postby Robert P » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:37 pm

One more thing:
When piano music expends to 3 or 4 staves, sub-brackets are sometimes needed (but not often, depending on the engraving style), as these Ligeti and Liszt examples illustrate.

Robert
Attachments
piano_brackets.png
Piano brackets examples
(274.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Robert P

Postby Romanos401 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:15 am

I wont belabor this point since Daniel has been so patient and already clarified things and I'm happy to be patient. I'm just going to put in a plug for Organ as well. It is not entirely uncommon for complicated (typically renaissance or romantic) organ scores to require 3 staves for hands and a 4th for pedals. (Think early strict fugal writing or complicated polyrhythmic / multi-manual music.) So, Daniel, please remember us organists whenever the team implements it for piano too! And, as always, thank you all for this wonderful program!
Romanos401

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:02 pm

When we introduce proper control for this stuff, you'll be able to have a 12-staff organ if you really want to!
Daniel at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Postby k_b » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:When we introduce proper control for this stuff, you'll be able to have a 12-staff organ if you really want to!

;-)
Attachments
IMG_5454.JPG
(154.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
k_b

Return to Dorico