Drum set problem

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.

Drum set problem

Postby andyp13 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:27 pm

The drum set only excepts one note of 'B' unable to enter any other pitch just the middle line of B ?

:o
andyp13

Re: Drum set problem

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:46 pm

Yes, I'm afraid unpitched percussion notation is in a very rudimentary state. It's basically working for single-line instruments, but not for compound instruments like drum kits. We did try to make this clear on the page that lists the features not included in this version of Dorico, but I understand you might not have spotted it. I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused by not yet having unpitched percussion notation working as well as you and many others require.
Daniel at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Postby Robby Poole » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:56 pm

I'm in the middle of the Caribbean using the ships WIFI to keep up with Dorico.....

I have a question about creating a drum set part. For years in Finale I would create a blank 5 line staff. Usually playing back on a piano sound. I would then add the notes to look like a drum set part, changing note heads, etc. it would look right, but playback was on a piano.

Is something similar able to be done in Dorico? I don't remember seeing "blank staff" as a possible instrument.

Robby
Dorico 1.0.30
Finale (since v2.2), Sibelius (since v1.2),
Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD
~ or ~
27" iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Quad Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD
Robby Poole

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:00 pm

You could create any old pitched instrument, like a Bagpipes or something, and change its name to be Drum Kit, then stick an unpitched percussion clef on it, and input notes that look like drum notation, sure. Of course it won't play back in any sensible fashion!
Daniel at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Postby andyp13 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:24 pm

No probs with the drums then if they are going to be sorted..... In the playback page there is no 'time line' scrolling and as a result it's difficult to see were I am etc...
andyp13

Postby fizzler » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:44 am

I tried that work around too, but for proper drum set notation you need two independent voices (stems up for the first voice and stems down for the second). I wasn't able to do this yet in Dorico, or at least didn't figured it out.
I keep on waiting patiently for the official update.
iMac (27-inch, late 2013) 3,5 Ghz i7, 32 GB RAM, 4096 MB Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M
OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
fizzler

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:35 pm

See the new FAQ thread for help with writing in multiple voices.
Daniel at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Postby Robby Poole » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:27 pm

Daniel,

I tried this trick yesterday, and I got odd results.

I selected Xylophone, didn't display the name, then changed the clef. After changing the clef, it only let me put put notes on the middle line.

I'll play around with it some more today.

Robby
Dorico 1.0.30
Finale (since v2.2), Sibelius (since v1.2),
Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD
~ or ~
27" iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Quad Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD
Robby Poole

Postby ViliRobert » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:07 pm

It unfortunately looks like, at the moment, that applying either of the percussion clefs to a staff reverts all already inputted notes to the center line, and doesn't allow for entry of any other pitches ("percussion mode"?). So looks like at the moment only way to input drum set notation and go old school, using bass clef instead:

Dorico_Drums.png
(32.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet

(which is a valid OG choice, as shown in this excerpt from Clinton Roemer's hand copying bible The Art Of Music Copying)

Drums_Roemer.png
(509.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ViliRobert

Postby JonathanGriffiths » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:09 am

What is the timeline on being able to do unpitched percussion properly? I have just started using dorico, and I'm hopeful, but as a percussionist and drumkit player I'm really keen to have it working
JonathanGriffiths

Postby mati » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:11 pm

You could create any old pitched instrument, like a Bagpipes or something, and change its name to be Drum Kit, then stick an unpitched percussion clef on it, and input notes that look like drum notation, sure. Of course it won't play back in any sensible fashion!

Changing the clef of the Vibraphone (for example) to the percussion one, constraints the notes on the middle line.

So, percussion clef seems to constraint all to the middle line: nothing changes even if I select an instrument that seems to allow a range (e.g. Tom-tom medium-low).

Is the actual behavior or have some settings to be modified?

Thanks

-----------------
Dorico 1.0.30
-----------------
mati

Postby John at Steinberg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:46 pm

At the moment I type 'invisible' in the popover and then don't use a clef at all.
Right-click for the different noteheads and no I don't worry about playback on that part at the moment.
John at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Postby Brian Roland » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:24 pm

I haven't tried this in Dorico yet, but I remember back in the very early days of Sibelius we had a trick:

1. Give each kit piece his own single line stave.
2. In what would be the equivalent of Dorico's Engrave mode (settings/ features), we squished the staves really close together, then went about hiding things that didn't look right where possible (I.E. all the clefs and bar lines but the ones in the center most stave).

In Dorico, one can hide many things by opening the bottom panel in "Write Mode", selecting the object you want to hide, toggling the 'color' switch, clicking the sample swatch, and then choosing an Alpha setting of 0.

The 'squished' single staves wasn't perfect by any means....and we couldn't put stuff in the 'spaces' of our simulated multi-line stave, but it was good enough to get the point across. We issued it to many marching band bass drum and multi-tom lines for more than a year. They never had problems reading it.

As for the 'playback'...
Do be aware that in the Play Tab you can change the instrument in HALion Sonic SE.

You could load up a drum kit (no matter what 'instrument' you chose when setting up your Flows/Players/Instruments).

Next, inside HALion itself, you can Click the "MIDI" Tab and then adjust the 'transpose' value until the kit piece you want falls under the right key for play back).

Also, if you're using a plugin other than Sonic SE for your drum sounds, and it's something that will not let you transpose/remap....you can use a Dorico 'expressionmap' to do the MIDI transposition. I.E. If sliding the whole keyboard down 4 half steps would give you the kit-piece, then make that your "Natural" technique in an Expression Map (set a transposition value of 4, which would virtually shift the whole keyboard 4 MIDI notes to the left; conversely, entering -4 should shift it to the right)...and you're good to go (assuming expression map transposition is functional...haven't needed to try it personally yet).
Brian Roland

Return to Dorico