Overriding metric divisions

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
CarloGesualdo

Overriding metric divisions

Post by CarloGesualdo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:47 am

I want to use Renaissance metric indicators such as imperfect prolation - looks like alla breve while the 'measures' will change length. Is there a way of accessing the metric symbols without applying them as metric modifiers?

Daniel at Steinberg

Re: Overriding metric divisions

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:09 am

Not really at present, no, because even if you could write them in as text, you can't easily create any space for them to go in.

Runter vom Sofa

Post by Runter vom Sofa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:43 am

I'll bump here too. I know little about old music and its notation, but let me see if I can explain (possibly the same as CarloGesualdo):

I am transcribing a piece by Praetorius. At one point the meter changes to "alla breve" – the C with the vertical stroke – but the bars should actually be 4/2 of length. This was the way it was notated back then, I think?

Is there a way to make this archaic meter work in Dorico? Is hiding every other barline a workaround, or am I creating a lot of trouble for myself if I do?

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:36 am

It's possible with a bit of cheating.
Create a cut common time signature with a pickup of four beats ('cutc,4' in the pop-over). In the next bar create a 4/2 time signature and hide it.
Florian

Runter vom Sofa

Post by Runter vom Sofa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:45 pm

fkretlow wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:36 am
It's possible with a bit of cheating.
Create a cut common time signature with a pickup of four beats ('cutc,4' in the pop-over). In the next bar create a 4/2 time signature and hide it.
Thanks so much, I'll try it!

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:44 pm

The next update will include the option to set the ‘Common/cut common’ property for any half note (minim) denominator time signature, so you can make e.g. 3/2 or 4/2 show up with the “cut c”/alla breve symbol.

PjotrB

Post by PjotrB » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:24 pm

That's a very welcome new feature. Will it also work for the common C instead of the alla breve? Like in the first example (Monteverdi, Maria Vespers), where the time signature is C, but the bars are actually 4/2 (or 8/4)?

In the same piece I also encounter time signatures as shown in the second picture. It's a combination of C and 3/2, but the actual bars are 6/1. Thanks to fkretlow for the pickup trick! I typed "4/4 = 3/2,24" into the pop-over, then setting the separator to ' ' (i.e. nothing) and checking the Common/cut common checkbox. It gave me the required complex time signature of C 3/2 and a pickup of 6 whole notes (24/4). It's funny that the pickup can be any length, even longer than the meter itself.

[edit: apparently my pictures didn't make it, I hope the text is clear]

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 pm

No, I’m afraid not, Pjotr: a time signature with a half note denominator, e.g. 4/2, will only be able to show the cut C, rather than the C. I would be interested to see the picture you tried to attach – the forum ended up over quota for attachment size, but hopefully you should be able to attach your picture again now.

PjotrB

Post by PjotrB » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:11 am

These were the examples I wanted to post earlier.

1. The meter C being 4/2 is very frequent in the Maria Vespers:
SonataSanctaM.png
(37.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Another example, from the original 1610 edition:
LaudatePueri.png
(124.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
To be fair, many movements in the original don't have barlines at all, but modern editions add them for convenience. Still, the bars marked C are musically really in 4/2 meter anyway, definitely not 4/4.

(BTW, I'd like to point out another peculiar notation in the Laudate Pueri: where a dotted note extends past a barline, the dot is written in the next bar. I've also seen this with Brahms, occasionally).

2. Time signature with combination of C and 3/2, but actually 6/1:
C32_6whole.png
(43.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Vaughan Schlepp

Post by Vaughan Schlepp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:25 pm

One thing I find really useful in Finale is being able to define a different time signature for display only. Often this has to do with beaming: common or cut time with different 8th beaming than the time signature would suggest, or extended passages in 6/8 which need to be beamed as 3/4. Sometimes it concerns what one often sees in early music: cut or common time which is actually 4/2, or as in example 2 above. Would that be a feasible feature for Dorico sometime in the future?
MacPro (late 2013), 16GB RAM
MacBookPro (early 2011), 8 GB RAM
Sierra (OS 10.12.6)
Dorico 1.1.10
Finale 3.2-25.4, Sibelius 5-7

Return to “Dorico”