hide cautionary clefs, keys and time signature

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
steveparker

Re: hide cautionary clefs, keys and time signature

Post by steveparker » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:25 pm

But then, Derek, flows are becoming less useful for organisation.
Surely organisation is the point of the flows? I shouldn't need to use them for ad hoc notational items.
Daniel, some are connected, some aren't. A cautionary that shouldn't be there is as bad as a missing one.

ghess1000

Post by ghess1000 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:33 am

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:[
You shouldn't interpret my question "why would you want to do this?" as anything other than a genuine attempt to understand the requirement.
Fair enough. I hope I explained why I want to do it. Dorico looks to be a potentially great product, particularly when trying to do things the others can't. But please don't make the easy stuff, hard.

ghess1000

Post by ghess1000 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:54 am

fratveno wrote:Yes, you should use 15 flows, but you don't have to create 15 frames, just allow new flows to start on the existing page. (Layout options>Page Setup>Flows... )
Thanks. It's a little difficult to wrap one's head around, but it worked pretty well.

cantilena

Post by cantilena » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Just read this whole thread. Seems to me that part of the frustration with Dorico (and there is some) revolves around, first of all, identifying what the problem is, and then learning how to solve it. In many cases Dorico can already do what we need, but we don't know how to make it do it!

I think that's the case when getting used to any new product or service. Think of Dorico as the ultimate Swiss Army knife with several thousand attachments. Yes, that toothpick or blade or scissors is probably there somewhere, but finding it is a challenge.

chrisg0619

Post by chrisg0619 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:24 am

I agree that the use of flows to perform basic aesthetic functions diminishes the overall usefulness of the feature. It shouldn't really matter why or why not I want to hide or show something--I just do. I make a lot of worksheets, examples, and illustrations, and these things must be accomplished quickly in order for the work to go smoothly. There are already many things in Dorico that do help me with efficiency, but there are other things that are time-consuming. Now, with that said, I found an older thread mentioning that there's no general "show/hide" functionality, but is this something that is in the cards, at some point?

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:53 pm

chrisg0619 wrote:Now, with that said, I found an older thread mentioning that there's no general "show/hide" functionality, but is this something that is in the cards, at some point?
Within reason, yes, though implementing hiding and showing requires special implementation for each type of item to be hidden, so it's not something that you should expect to simply appear en masse in the immediate future.

creativetones

Post by creativetones » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 pm

Hello everyone, I have xml file created by my colleague on Sibelius 7.3 with about 40 solfeggio examples for our solfeggio book. Every example is 8 bar long. And we really dont need cautionary clefs and time signatures. On Sibelius I just use hide/show function for cautionary clef and hide for time signature. That way my editing time is really very short.
On Dorico I have to rewrite solfeggio examples one by one in to different flow? For me it doesnt sound like good solution. And I would really like to make our book on Dorico.

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:19 pm

creativetones wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 pm
On Dorico I have to rewrite solfeggio examples one by one in to different flow? For me it doesnt sound like good solution. And I would really like to make our book on Dorico.
Well, as Dorico does not currently allow us to hide cautionary clefs etc., I guess that individual flows are exactly the way to go here. Of course it's a bit frustrating that this doesn't work with xml import. [But adding flows is really quick and easy and and you can cut and paste the examples one by one. Shouldn't take too long... hopefully.]
EDIT: I just remembered that there's a 'split flow' command somewhere, I think in write mode. (I'm not in front of Dorico now.) Take a look, you might not even need to cut and paste anything.
Florian

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:26 am

Yes, you should be able to simply select the note that should be the start of a new flow and choose Write > Split Flow. You can assign a keyboard shortcut to this command if it's something you're going to need to do 39 times, in the Key Commands page of Preferences.

piano_jochen

Post by piano_jochen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:03 pm

I was just about to ask that same question on how to hide cautionary key signatures on a system break. The use of it is quite obvious in this situation, but since D.S. al Coda is not yet supported, I understand why Dorico prevents me from hiding anything that could lead to an engraving mistake/inconsistency. We are just spoiled by Sib*** and alike which let us do these mistakes – even though I wish I could tell Dorico right now that it's ok to have a sectional break within a single flow...
For now, I hope that these D.S. al Coda repeats will be fully supported, soon.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-13 um 12.46.04.png
(88.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Dorico”