Lyric verses

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.

Re: Lyric verses

Postby Romanos401 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:58 am

Hi All (& Daniel)

I have another feature request. I will start by saying that this very well may be insignificant enough as to not be worth the trouble. If so, no problem. I've discovered that when setting a hymn, lyrics do not look quite right when you have the interval of a second in the S&A parts with independent stems. This is obviously a specific-use case so again, I understand if this isn't worth pursuing. Just the same, I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a toggle in engrave mode that would allow the centering of text to be to the note head proper or the stem. That slight difference is sometimes enough to make things look right or fit in well when you have tight spacing.

Here's a little video to show what I mean. The video is unlisted so only members reading this post will be able to view it. https://youtu.be/89qciI2T7pE

There is the obvious (and comparably easy) work around of simply nudging the text in engrave mode and I was able to achieve the results I wanted so there's no problem in that regard.

As a totally unrelated issue, I was setting plainchant in simplified notation (modern round noteheads on a modern stave, stemless) and was wondering if I'm missing a setting for stemless noteheads or if the only way to achieve it is by -3 3/8 on the stem length.
Romanos401

Postby Michael Haslam » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:25 am

Nice demo of your problem, Romanos401. Can you tell me how you entered the apostrophe in off-'ring? It’s the wrong way round (common in apps eg MS Word that use “smart quotes”) so did you just enter a ' and Dorico turned it into a ‘ or did you enter a ’ and Dorico switched it?
Michael Haslam

Postby Romanos401 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:19 pm

I just typed a regular apostrophe. Dorico did its thing.
Romanos401

Previous

Return to Dorico