Freezing layout

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.

Freezing layout

Postby Vaughan Schlepp » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:10 am

Sometimes I'll have a good layout but then I move something slightly and everything after that gets altered unnecessarily. Is there a way of keeping the number of bars per system from changing? And is there a way to force a bar up to a previous system even though Dorico thinks it might be too crowded? I've tried using the Create System Break command and sometimes it works but sometimes Dorico just puts the measure in a system by itself instead of moving it up.
Also, occasionally Dorico leaves too much space between two notes, especially if there are lyrics attached. I can shift the lyrics so that the gap is no longer necessary but Dorico ignores this. Is there any way I can tell Dorico to respace the bar?
MacPro (late 2013), 16GB RAM
MacBookPro (early 2011), 8 GB RAM
Sierra (OS 10.12.3)
Dorico 1.0.30
Finale 3.2-25.2, Sibelius 5-7
Vaughan Schlepp

Re: Freezing layout

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:15 am

To lock the contents of a system, use the Lock System button in Engrave mode; similarly you can do that for a whole frame with Lock Frame.

If Dorico puts only one bar on a system after inserting a system break, it's because it thinks the previous system is still too full already, and you'll need to force its hand, by selecting the first note of the first bar on the previous system and the last note of the orphaned bar on the second system and choosing Make Into System.

You can't currently edit rhythmic spacing, and this won't be possible in the 1.0.10 update either (though you will be able to edit vertical spacing), but it's a high priority for the next update.
Daniel at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Postby richardC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:55 pm

When you lock a frame or a system does some little icon show up to show you've done this. I'd selected first and last notes on frames and systems I want locked but don't see anything happen.
richardC

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:28 am

If you have View > Signposts > Frame Breaks and View > Signposts > System Breaks switched on, you should absolutely see signposts that show you the formatting has been locked.
Daniel at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Postby Romanos401 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm going to revive this conversation with a twist: is there any way to lock layout spacing?! I have spaced out my pages perfectly using both the make into frame/ system commands as well as manually tweaking all of my staff spacing by typing in exact values. Perhaps this is a "learn your lesson" moment for me however, I've since gone back to add a few small textual cues that are supposed to be nestled between a grand staff. The problem is when I go to add the text, it totally obliterates my meticulously planned spacing. The worst part is there is plenty of room for the text, but Dorico thinks it needs to add more. And so I repeat, is there a way to lock the stave spacing on a page?
Romanos401

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Unfortunately there is not, although I think this would be a good idea, and I will talk to Andrew, our spacing guru, about what it might take to make this possible when we're back in the office next week.
Daniel at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Postby Romanos401 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:46 am

I thank you a thousand times over Daniel! That would be uh-mazing. Sadly, this same thing is happening to me again in a second piece. Whenever I tweak a hairpin decresc. and a corresponding dynamic marking in the next measure to line up, the staff spacing changes.... so then I go move the other object... and it too changes the staff spacing. (The great irony, of course, is that since the objects are somewhat anchored to their associated notes, when the staff width changes due to one object, the other object moves again.) It is almost comical how difficult it is for these things to line up when they are independent objects and you are trying to force a staff spacing. I'm dealing primarily with keyboard music and one of the things that I really strive for in my scores is to find the most appropriate staff spacing and then try and keep to it at nearly all costs for each system barring some necessity like cross-stave beaming. I also try to get opposing pages to line up perfectly, hence typing in exact values. This is impossible when you are manually tweaking things and your score keeps moving around!
Romanos401

Return to Dorico