Graphic Export request

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Robby Poole

Graphic Export request

Post by Robby Poole » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:01 am

Daniel,

I know that Dorico can export an entire page of music as a graphic file. But I would like to add the suggestion of being able to export just a few measures, just one system, half a page, etc.

It would be nice to have a selection box the user could drag and create, and in that user box have information such as how far from the top line the selection box is, along with how far from the bottom line the selection box is. And the same for the beginning and end of the measures, etc.

I am working on a drum set book, and am doing the work in another music program. But I export the music example as graphics, then I import into a DTP program (InDesign, etc.), then layout exactly where the text must go and the music examples. I know once Dorico is a little more robust, the engraving mode will be just as useful for this. But I also have to share the files with the client, and the publisher they use. Sometimes publishers like to get in and tweak layouts a little bit. That is why I am asking for the ability to select partial aspects of the page to export them as graphics.

Robby
Dorico 1.1.10
Finale (since v2.2), Sibelius (v1.2 through 7.3),
Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD

Daniel at Steinberg

Re: Graphic Export request

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Yes, in future, we plan to make it possible to export smaller chunks of music as graphics.

musicus

Post by musicus » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Is this capability any closer, please? Much of my work consists of creating musical examples to embed in academic texts, and I would very much like to use Dorico for this. Ideally, I should like to generate EPS files whose dimensions are determined by the smallest bounding box.
macOS 10.13.1 / Dorico 1.1.10.202 / Finale 25.4.1.163 / Sibelius 8.7.0 / Logic Pro X 10.3.2 / Final Cut Pro 10.3.4

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:33 pm

I’m afraid it’s not going to be in the forthcoming update, musicus. One possible approach you could take in the meantime would be to create one layout for each music example and set the page size in Layout Options to the appropriate size for your individual example, since the graphics you export in Print mode will match the dimensions defined in Layout Options.

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:50 am

The good news is you can use built in macOS screen capture to get the job done in the meantime.

k_b

Post by k_b » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:43 am

Romanos401,

screen capture does produce graphics (.png files) with low resolution though.
Dorico exports to up to 600 dpi.
One can manipulate (select, cut etc.) these exports with built in Preview or an application like GraphicConverter.

musicus

Post by musicus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Belated thanks to Daniel, Romanos401 and k_b. Yes, setting the page size for each music example is what I do at present. However, it is extremely time-consuming, especially if I need to tweak the layout (which I usually do). As k_b says, screen capture is limited to low resolution graphics, which is not suitable for my purposes.

I tried cropping exported PDFs in Preview. It looked promising, until I got a message to say that the cropped portions were still there, but hidden. However, I will explore further.

Meanwhile, I will be patient and continue to enjoy what Dorico does so well in other areas of my work.
macOS 10.13.1 / Dorico 1.1.10.202 / Finale 25.4.1.163 / Sibelius 8.7.0 / Logic Pro X 10.3.2 / Final Cut Pro 10.3.4

k_b

Post by k_b » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:58 am

musicus, try cropping graphic files only like .png or .tif

Return to “Dorico”