Time Signature in Brackets

I’ve wondered, did the team ever considered a “Graphics Mode” where all the stranger aspects of notation could take place? I envision some sort of simplified Illustrator-kind of thing, maybe with a library of relevant glyphs for easy access. Then the workflow would be writing your “standard” notational bits in Write Mode, then add the stranger stuff - which could be anything from semi-normal notation not yet semantically implemented in Write Mode to absolutely crazy avant-garde off-the-charts experimental nonsense, if that’s what you want. After that - as it already is - you make it look nice in Engrave Mode and print or export it in Print Mode. Obviously, the graphically input items wouldn’t affect playback, but so don’t i.e. Shift-X texts.
I realize that this could be taken as giving up on the wonderful and highly appreciated semantic approach that is so great in Dorico. On the other hand - as anybody can see just browsing this forum, not to mention existing contemporary scores - music notation is a VERY broad topic (including the occasional desire to write something “wrong”), and it is obviously impossible to have any thinkable option readily available.
I think this could be the best of all worlds: all the practicality of software understanding your intentions AND the option to go beyond the limits when needed.

I understand that it’s not a little thing I’m asking for! But has it been considered for the future?

1 Like