Hidden/muted objects

In then properties panel, common objects, there is an option to mute (hide) objects, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. I activated this for a couple of rests, but there are no change in either mode nor printed pdf.

I know about the start/end voice option, but in many cases this is not possible, as this is auto deselected immediatly.

I’m attaching a measure for examination.
Rests.zip (200 KB)

The mute property is intended for playback, not for hiding things. Implementation of muting of individual items in playback is at a very early stage, and I’m not sure for what items in the score it yet works.

Thanks, in the manual it says hidden in stead of muted, so I thought it was a visual feature.

Could you take a look at my attached file and check why the note covers the rest, and why it’s not possible to select start/end voice to hide the rests that are not needed.

I will need to check with one of the team, but I believe you can’t use the ‘Ends voice’ property to stop a voice within a beamed group when you are also beaming over rests. I’ll come back to you when I can.

Switch on View > Note Colors > Voice Colors, so that the rest of what I’m about to write makes sense…

The green rests in the middle of the beamed group are explicit rests, and so you need to delete them before you can set the ‘Ends voice’ property. You then have to re-beam the notes explicitly, because they won’t automatically beam across a gap in a voice.

The collision between the red note and the green rest is an unfortunate consequence of the fact that we never automatically move beams out of the way of rests – we move rests away from beams, but in this case there’s nowhere for it to go. The workaround is to drag the beam down in Engrave mode; the rests will then move away from the note correctly, if you give it enough space.

Thanks, I managed to delete the rests, set start and end voice and beam the notes, but it’s not clear to me what you mean with explicit rests, and how they can be identified.

It is hard to identify explicit rests at the moment. We will probably add a view option to show them somehow. In the meantime, you can simply select a rest and delete it. You may not see a visible difference (though if the explicit rest is broken up in a way that’s contrary to how Dorico would ordinarily split up the total duration, the rests you see may change), but it’s generally harmless to try deleting a rest, and often you will then be able to make the edits you’re trying to make.