How to reposition a system on a page?

Resurrecting this thread from the depths of the forum to save making a new one…

I’ve just started playing around with the Engraving Mode today in Dorico and while I like a lot of the features I’ve seen so far there are a couple of things regarding system spacing optimisation which I’ve either missed so far or have not yet been implemented, which may make my life a bit easier.

1. I had to watch one of the tutorial videos on YouTube to learn this but the alt-drag command on the top bar handle to concertina a system up or down is nice. I just wish there was a similar bar on the bottom of a system so I could for instance increase the relative space between the individual instruments in a system without moving the position of the top instrument stave of that system.

There’s probably a way to this with the individual handles on the side of the staves but I haven’t quite figured this out yet myself.

1. Maybe this isn’t necessary given that Dorico generally handles the spacing side of things extremely well in my experience, but I really do miss the “Optimize Staff Spacing” feature of that “other” score writing program. I used that all the time in the past along with “Reset Note Spacing” to quickly fix a cluttered score before making any fine adjustments.

I’m still in the first day or so of getting to grips with Dorico so I don’t doubt that I’m probably just missing obvious features or ways of working that the more experienced on here will already know all about, and maybe there are more improvements to this due in the imminent 1.1 patch anyway. I just thought I’d drop my initial thoughts here and throw myself upon the mercy of the forum gods (be gentle). :wink: