Fermata, Pause, Hold Placement

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
diamondknife

Fermata, Pause, Hold Placement

Post by diamondknife » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:10 pm

fermata.png
(36.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I added a fermata to the end of the bar(see pic). The fermata appears in 3 places. I would like it to appear on top of the 1st stave and at the bottom of the 2nd stave. I want to get rid of the fermata that appears between the two. I've played around with all the variations in the hold,pause settings and can't get it to show correctly. It may have something to do with my using the cross staff (m). Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

András at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Re: Fermata, Pause, Hold Placement

Post by András at Steinberg » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:26 am

I'm afraid that case (one fermata above the right hand stave, and on below the left hand stave) is not supported at the moment, but I think we plan to add it in the future. The only way you can achieve the expected output at the moment is to move the middle fermata in engrave mode so that it overlaps with the top one. Although admittedly it is an ugly work-around and only works as longs as the vertical spacing is unchanged.

diamondknife

Post by diamondknife » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:53 pm

Thank you András.

Alain LeBlond

Post by Alain LeBlond » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Andras...

Write mode
- Option panel
--Max. fermatas per staff
Capture d'écran 2017-01-24 15.54.06.png
(79.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Alain LeBlond
Compositeur
né en 1957

Québec, QC, Canada

Mac Pro 2009 5.1, OS X El Capitan
Dorico 1.0.10, Finale (since v.1),
Sibelius 7.5, Notion 6,
DP 8, Reaper, Studio One,
Hauptwerk, VSL SE Full.

diamondknife

Post by diamondknife » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:26 am

Alain LeBlond wrote:Andras...

Write mode
- Option panel
--Max. fermatas per staff
Capture d'écran 2017-01-24 15.54.06.png
Thank you Alain. It seems you've figured this out. I've setup my options as indicated in your attachment, but I still get the third fermata in between. Am I missing something? I have set in Engraving Options "One per staff" and in Write mode/max fermata "one per each side of staff". Is this correct?

diamondknife

Post by diamondknife » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:41 am

András at Steinberg wrote:I'm afraid that case (one fermata above the right hand stave, and on below the left hand stave) is not supported at the moment, but I think we plan to add it in the future. The only way you can achieve the expected output at the moment is to move the middle fermata in engrave mode so that it overlaps with the top one. Although admittedly it is an ugly work-around and only works as longs as the vertical spacing is unchanged.
Hi András,
I've had a chance to try the workaround today. In Engrave mode, I can't individually select the middle fermata and move it. When I select the top one or the middle one, both are automatically selected. Maybe because they are in the same voice? The only one I can select individually is the bottom one(left hand).

András at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Post by András at Steinberg » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:15 am

That's odd, in engrave mode it should be possible to select them individually. Can you try it again, but make sure nothing is selected, and may be zoom in enough, to be sure you only click on one single fermata. If you still cannot select them individually, could you attach the file here or send it to me?

diamondknife

Post by diamondknife » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:03 pm

fermata problem.zip
(200 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
András at Steinberg wrote:That's odd, in engrave mode it should be possible to select them individually. Can you try it again, but make sure nothing is selected, and may be zoom in enough, to be sure you only click on one single fermata. If you still cannot select them individually, could you attach the file here or send it to me?
Hi Andras, here is the file. I'm not able to select individually in Engrave Mode. Maybe my settings are off? I can select the bottom fermata individually but not the top 2.

András at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Post by András at Steinberg » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:54 pm

I see, it's a bug that'll be fixed soon (not in 1.0.30 though). I'm afraid there is not much you can do with fermatas on cross-stave chord.

diamondknife

Post by diamondknife » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:14 pm

Okay, thanks András for confirming that. I'm looking forward to a fix.

UMahnken

Post by UMahnken » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 pm

András at Steinberg wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:26 am
I'm afraid that case (one fermata above the right hand stave, and on below the left hand stave) is not supported at the moment, but I think we plan to add it in the future.
An old thread, but is this point still on the road map? This feature is normally used in baroque keyboard music and I am missing it a lot.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Yes, you can assume that if something is not yet implemented, but we have said we plan to implement it, and we have not yet implemented it... it's still on the roadmap. Things do not get lost from the roadmap and fall down the back of the sofa: they just have to wait their turn to climb to the top of our current set of priorities.

UMahnken

Post by UMahnken » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks for your patience :-)

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:08 pm

But how was Alain LeBlond able to achieve the desired result in his example above?

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:30 pm

He specified it in his reply: select one of the fermatas, open the Properties panel, and set 'Max. fermatas per staff' to 'One per stave'. See the attached trivial project that reproduces his example.
Attachments
fermata.dorico.zip
(85.41 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

diamondknife

Post by diamondknife » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:30 pm
He specified it in his reply: select one of the fermatas, open the Properties panel, and set 'Max. fermatas per staff' to 'One per stave'. See the attached trivial project that reproduces his example.
Hi Daniel,

When I open the example you posted I get the same problem(see pic). I've followed Alain's procedure and still I can't reproduce your posted example. I'm on Windows 10.
Attachments
fermata.png
(85.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 pm

diamondknife wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:46 pm
Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:30 pm
When I open the example you posted I get the same problem(see pic). I've followed Alain's procedure and still I can't reproduce your posted example. I'm on Windows 10.
That’s weird! When I open Daniel’s file I get the same problem, and I can only remedy it by moving the g back to the upper staff and down again (N/M).
Florian

Return to “Dorico”