Fingering?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Knut Nergaard

Re: Fingering?

Post by Knut Nergaard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:56 pm

fkretlow wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 am
Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:41 pm
Can you tell me a little more about your requirements for alternative fingerings, so I can understand better exactly what you need?
Here's an example of extensive piano fingering (including multiple alternate fingerings and original fingerings set in italics).
Chopin extensive fingering.png
It's an extreme case and beautifully solved! (I'm not asking for full support of this. The ability to italicize fingerings as well as other things might be useful for critical editions though.)
What edition is this?

CelloG

Post by CelloG » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Keep in mind that some students are young yet talented, and haven't developed the critical facility to understand how different fingerings work or not. Also, for stringed instruments, people with smaller hands often need vastly different fingerings for the same passage. Being able to suggest both in a learning (not performing) edition is invaluable.

Having said this, I of course never write in alternative fingerings in my own performance parts. This is a tool I would use for teaching. I might, for example, swap out one fingering for an alternative and send that pdf to a student. Or send all of them to a former student now teaching. There are lots of use cases for multiple fingerings in education.

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Knut Nergaard wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:56 pm
fkretlow wrote:
Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:41 pm
Can you tell me a little more about your requirements for alternative fingerings, so I can understand better exactly what you need?
Here's an example of extensive piano fingering (including multiple alternate fingerings and original fingerings set in italics).
It's an extreme case and beautifully solved! (I'm not asking for full support of this. The ability to italicize fingerings as well as other things might be useful for critical editions though.)
What edition is this?
Wiener Urtext (An edition cluttered with editorial annotations -- yes, and fingerings -- but among the most beautifully engraved volumes I've seen so far. Actually this one aroused my interest in engraving.)
CelloG wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:13 pm
Keep in mind that some students are young yet talented, and haven't developed the critical facility to understand how different fingerings work or not. Also, for stringed instruments, people with smaller hands often need vastly different fingerings for the same passage. Being able to suggest both in a learning (not performing) edition is invaluable.
To some extend the same is true for piano music.
Florian

Knut Nergaard

Post by Knut Nergaard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:43 am

fkretlow wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:49 pm
Knut Nergaard wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:56 pm
fkretlow wrote:

What edition is this?
Wiener Urtext (An edition cluttered with editorial annotations -- yes, and fingerings -- but among the most beautifully engraved volumes I've seen so far. Actually this one aroused my interest in engraving.)
Thanks, Florian! Thats what I thought.
John Ruggero has also spoken to the excellence of Wiener Urtexts critical editions at Notatio previously. It's easy to see why.

David Tee

Post by David Tee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:04 am

It'll come when it comes but any more news on this? The next update or after that?
• MacPro (mid 2012), 64 GB Ram, OSX 10.12.6, Cubase 9.0.2

MarcLarcher

Post by MarcLarcher » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:37 am

It's been confirmed here several times that fingering was one of the main new assets (along with unpitched percussion notation) of the next update, due in autumn — still a month and a half available until the end of the season ;-)
OS X 10.11.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and a sometimes music engraver
French is my native language

David Tee

Post by David Tee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:55 am

MarcLarcher wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:37 am
It's been confirmed here several times that fingering was one of the main new assets (along with unpitched percussion notation) of the next update, due in autumn — still a month and a half available until the end of the season ;-)
Thanks as always Marc. I've just spent a morning formatting and placing fingering notices so great news!!
• MacPro (mid 2012), 64 GB Ram, OSX 10.12.6, Cubase 9.0.2

Return to “Dorico”