Strange issue with instrument names

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Post Reply
james2804
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:43 pm
Contact:

Strange issue with instrument names

Post by james2804 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:53 pm

As you will see from the Dropbox linked file I am working on a large orchestral score which has 4 parts for "flexible" instrumentation. I have named them Part A, B, C and D and created alternative transposition parts for each which are hidden from the full score layout. When setting them up I used brass instruments, primarily to keep the position of system objects where I wanted them, and edited the instrument names appropriately.

On reopening the file I discovered my instrument names for Parts C and D had changed themselves (see screen shot). Even if I change them back, save and reopen they still change themselves. I realise this is probably a bit of a "hack" to achieve what I want, but just wanted to ask:

1) is this a bug you're aware of, and

2) is there a better way to do the same thing (I'm thinking I would need some sort of (maybe) custom generic instrument?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvg93g8d4mpyy ... orico?dl=0
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 18.34.14.png
(145.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dorico v1.1, Macbook Pro 2011 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 16GB RAM, macOS Sierra v10.12.1

User avatar
Daniel at Steinberg
Moderator
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 am
Contact:

Re: Strange issue with instrument names

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Heh, I believe the Roman numeral for 100 is C, and the Roman numeral for 500 is D! This is a bug in the way the instrument names are being handled when they are loaded: Dorico is interpreting those letters as Roman numerals. This is on our list to be fixed, but I'm afraid it won't be fixed in the forthcoming 1.0.30 update.

I think your basic approach is sound, but perhaps you can use Part 1, 2, 3, and 4 for now instead of A, B, C, and D!

james2804
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Strange issue with instrument names

Post by james2804 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:32 am

That's quite funny! Having now printed 20-odd parts with the names A,B,C, D I think I'll have to keep them but will bear it in mind for future projects until the bug is fixed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dorico v1.1, Macbook Pro 2011 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 16GB RAM, macOS Sierra v10.12.1

SalvadorianX
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:11 am
Contact:

Re: Strange issue with instrument names

Post by SalvadorianX » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:58 am

I'm having a similar issue, but in my case instrument names I've edited to include numbers such as 2, 3 and 4 are reopening as II, III and IV respectively.
Windows, Cubase, Dorico

User avatar
Daniel at Steinberg
Moderator
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 am
Contact:

Re: Strange issue with instrument names

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:09 am

This might be because you have the Engraving Option for 'Numbering style for solo players' set to 'Roman numerals' on the Staff Labels page – try setting 'Arabic numerals' instead.

LeifG
Junior Member
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:15 am
Contact:

Re: Strange issue with instrument names

Post by LeifG » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:10 am

Likewise it should solve james2804's problem to change the Engraving Option to Roman Numarals, right? Dorico would think he meant Part 100, but use a roman numeral and write Part C, and so on. Of course, it would change numbering for other instruments (if you have that) as well to things like I and II, but it could be a price worth paying for now.

james2804
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Strange issue with instrument names

Post by james2804 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 pm

That did indeed solve my problem. As it turns out I didn't have numbering of wind/brass parts anyway, so no loss to this particular project.

The staff labels for solo/section players can also be set independently, so with foresight I could have set my generic part staves to be section players and then they would have been handled the same way as Violin I/II etc. without disturbing the wind/brass.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dorico v1.1, Macbook Pro 2011 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 16GB RAM, macOS Sierra v10.12.1

Post Reply

Return to “Dorico”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests