Strange issue with instrument names

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
james2804

Strange issue with instrument names

Post by james2804 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:53 pm

As you will see from the Dropbox linked file I am working on a large orchestral score which has 4 parts for "flexible" instrumentation. I have named them Part A, B, C and D and created alternative transposition parts for each which are hidden from the full score layout. When setting them up I used brass instruments, primarily to keep the position of system objects where I wanted them, and edited the instrument names appropriately.

On reopening the file I discovered my instrument names for Parts C and D had changed themselves (see screen shot). Even if I change them back, save and reopen they still change themselves. I realise this is probably a bit of a "hack" to achieve what I want, but just wanted to ask:

1) is this a bug you're aware of, and

2) is there a better way to do the same thing (I'm thinking I would need some sort of (maybe) custom generic instrument?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvg93g8d4mpyy ... orico?dl=0
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 18.34.14.png
(145.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dorico v1.1, Macbook Pro 2011 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 16GB RAM, macOS Sierra v10.12.1

Daniel at Steinberg

Re: Strange issue with instrument names

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Heh, I believe the Roman numeral for 100 is C, and the Roman numeral for 500 is D! This is a bug in the way the instrument names are being handled when they are loaded: Dorico is interpreting those letters as Roman numerals. This is on our list to be fixed, but I'm afraid it won't be fixed in the forthcoming 1.0.30 update.

I think your basic approach is sound, but perhaps you can use Part 1, 2, 3, and 4 for now instead of A, B, C, and D!

james2804

Post by james2804 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:32 am

That's quite funny! Having now printed 20-odd parts with the names A,B,C, D I think I'll have to keep them but will bear it in mind for future projects until the bug is fixed.
Dorico v1.1, Macbook Pro 2011 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 16GB RAM, macOS Sierra v10.12.1

SalvadorianX

Post by SalvadorianX » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:58 am

I'm having a similar issue, but in my case instrument names I've edited to include numbers such as 2, 3 and 4 are reopening as II, III and IV respectively.
Windows, Cubase, Dorico

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:09 am

This might be because you have the Engraving Option for 'Numbering style for solo players' set to 'Roman numerals' on the Staff Labels page – try setting 'Arabic numerals' instead.

LeifG

Post by LeifG » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:10 am

Likewise it should solve james2804's problem to change the Engraving Option to Roman Numarals, right? Dorico would think he meant Part 100, but use a roman numeral and write Part C, and so on. Of course, it would change numbering for other instruments (if you have that) as well to things like I and II, but it could be a price worth paying for now.

james2804

Post by james2804 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 pm

That did indeed solve my problem. As it turns out I didn't have numbering of wind/brass parts anyway, so no loss to this particular project.

The staff labels for solo/section players can also be set independently, so with foresight I could have set my generic part staves to be section players and then they would have been handled the same way as Violin I/II etc. without disturbing the wind/brass.

Return to “Dorico”