Creating Blank Score Paper

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Shannon123

Creating Blank Score Paper

Post by Shannon123 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Relatively simple request - would like to create a simple blank piano page for hand drawing notes. Would like to be able to specify the number of measures per staff and the size of the spacing of the staff lines. Currently I do see the ability to change spacing but it is listed in points instead of mm (which my brain relates to easier).

Daniel at Steinberg

Re: Creating Blank Score Paper

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Dorico is probably not the optimal tool for this at the moment. You might try a dedicated tool like this one for the time being.

Shannon123

Post by Shannon123 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:30 pm

I appreciate your quick reply Daniel. Consider having this as a feature in a future update.

fratveno

Post by fratveno » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:32 pm

I appreciate that the team don't spend time on this, but it is indeed possible if you are a little adventurous :)
see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=246&t=113511
Dorico 1.1 - Windows 7

Shannon123

Post by Shannon123 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:09 pm

Thank you "fratveno" for your reference to the "view topic thread". At best that work around is quite convoluted aka "adventurous". I can of course do this with little effort in PreSonus Notion, BUT lets get this feature in Dorico. I personally appreciate "the team" spending as much time as necessary to make this the BEST engraving program out there. It would motivate me to continue using this program that is going through its understandable growing pains.

fratveno

Post by fratveno » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:29 pm

If you use one flow per staff line, it's not really very adventurous or difficult. Here's what I did:
1) set the end barline of each flow to "none"*(notation options/barlines)
2) enter a time signature of 4/4 to display a single bar with bar rest. Hide the time signature (properties panel) and the bar rest (Layout options/Players>deselect 'show bar rests in empty measures')
3) Open the clefs panel on the right and under uncommon clefs enter 'invisible clef'.
4) in Layout options/Page setup set flows to Allow on existing page. Under /Note Spacing deselect 'only justify final system...' and under /Staves and Systems set staff labels on first system to None.
5) In Engrave mode click on Frames upper left and remove the green frames. Then expand the blue frame to fill the page.
6) repeat as necessary... :)
Dorico 1.1 - Windows 7

GTBannah

Post by GTBannah » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:36 pm

fratveno wrote:If you use one flow per staff line, it's not really very adventurous or difficult. Here's what I did:
.... and the bar rest (Layout options/Players>deselect 'show bar rests in empty measures') ... :)
That stubborn little crotchet rest will not go away.
Derrkins

If that's really what you hear, Play It, Sing It, Write It or Program It!

Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM; OS X El Sierra 10.12.4; Nuendo 7 + NEK, Sibelius 7.5, iPad Pro 13", Cubasis, WaveLab 9.00, (Dorico. Couldn't wait anymore. Started learning it).

LeifG

Post by LeifG » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:22 pm

You need a bar first. That's why fratveno created a 4/4 time signature (any other will do too). Now you can get rid of the rest by deselecting show bar rests (bar rests meaning WHOLE-BAR rests).

GTBannah

Post by GTBannah » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:01 pm

LeifG wrote:You need a bar first. That's why fratveno created a 4/4 time signature (any other will do too). Now you can get rid of the rest by deselecting show bar rests (bar rests meaning WHOLE-BAR rests).
Ahhhhhh! No wonder! :lol:

Thank you!
Derrkins

If that's really what you hear, Play It, Sing It, Write It or Program It!

Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM; OS X El Sierra 10.12.4; Nuendo 7 + NEK, Sibelius 7.5, iPad Pro 13", Cubasis, WaveLab 9.00, (Dorico. Couldn't wait anymore. Started learning it).

Return to “Dorico”