Copy & Paste with Barlines and Time Signatures?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
JulianBennettHolmes

Copy & Paste with Barlines and Time Signatures?

Post by JulianBennettHolmes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:53 am

Hello,

I just imported, via MusicXML from Finale 25.5, the vocal score for an opera I’ve been working on. Now that the project is in Dorico, I’d like to split the scenes into flows. I understand that, currently, the best way to split music into flows is via copy and paste, but when I try to copy and paste a whole scene, Dorico doesn’t seem to properly copy and paste the time signature changes, or the barlines.

Am I missing the correct way to do this, or does anyone have a workaround for now if it’s not automatic yet?

Thanks,
Julian Bennett Holmes
Last edited by JulianBennettHolmes on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorico 1.1.10 and macOS 10.12.6
http://julianbh.com/

k_b

Re: Copy & Paste with Barlines and Time Signatures?

Post by k_b » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:52 am

JulianBennettHolmes wrote:Hello,

I just imported, via MusicXML from Finale 25.5, the vocal score for an opera I’ve been working on. Now that the project is in Dorico, I’d like to split the scenes into flows. I understand that, currently, the best way to do split music into flows is via copy and paste, but when I try to copy and paste a whole scene, Dorico doesn’t seem to properly copy and paste the time signature changes, or the barlines.

Am I missing the correct way to do this, or does anyone have a workaround for now if it’s not automatic yet?

Thanks,
Julian Bennett Holmes
what I do, before pasting into the new flow: I give the flows the right time signature in the beginning.
If you have further time signature changes, put them in afterwards. Your music stays intact, anyway.

fratveno

Post by fratveno » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:03 am

Done this a couple of times, and never had any problems getting the time signatures along... make sure everything is properly selected before you copy...
Dorico 1.1 - Windows 7

JulianBennettHolmes

Post by JulianBennettHolmes » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:39 pm

For some reason, I still was never able to copy everything properly. What I ended up doing in the end was copying the entire piece of music with cmd-a, pasting into the new flow, and then deleting from there. This worked fine, but was a little slow.

It’ll be great when there’s a “split into flows” feature!
Dorico 1.1.10 and macOS 10.12.6
http://julianbh.com/

zmaine

Post by zmaine » Mon May 29, 2017 4:44 pm

Yes, I have often wanted to copy and paste material from one part of a composition to another, but changes of time signature do not come along with it (I have fairly frequent meter changes). The best workaround I've found is to manually pre-insert time signatures into the correct patterns for the correct number of measures before pasting into it, but then Dorico often creates measures that don't actually have enough beats, or creates little extra measures of one beat, etc., so it ends up being a very laborious process. I hope that having this all happen automatically can be a possibility for the future. Thanks.

LSalgueiro

Post by LSalgueiro » Mon May 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Select All doesn't really select all, but, completing what fratverno said, you can manually select any objects that were not selected (usually system objects, such as tempi and time signatures) by Cmd+clicking them.

Return to “Dorico”