Splitting Primary Beams

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.

Splitting Primary Beams

Postby opandolfi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:49 pm

This might be obvious to most of you, but I was trying to split a PRIMARY beam to show a different beat group from the time signature. The only way I could figure it out was to change the meter (Shift M) and write 3+3+2/8 in the box, go to the next bar and return the meter to 4/4, and then hide both time signatures in Engrave mode. I was impressed with the intuitive aspect of this once I applied the logic. Hopefully though, there will be a way to do this that is as easy as splitting secondary beams.
opandolfi

Re: Splitting Primary Beams

Postby MarcLarcher » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Have you tried the simple path (useful if you do not have to write a whole page of these rhythms) ?
In Write mode, select the notes you want to be beamed together, Ctrl-click and Beam together (or in the Edit menu, Beaming—>Beam together). Hope it helps !
I created a shortcut for beaming (cmd-b) and for breaking beams (alt-b) which I find very useful…
OS X 10.11.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and a sometimes music engraver
MarcLarcher

Return to Dorico