Fixing Stem Direction after importing Sibelius File via XML

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.

Fixing Stem Direction after importing Sibelius File via XML

Postby opandolfi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Now that I'm starting to get the hang of Dorico, I tried importing an old SIB score Via XML. It imported very well with the exception of some stem directions which were down when they should have been up. In WRITE mode, I selected the whole score and tried Force Stem Up from the EDIT/STEMS menu with no success. I then tried Remove Forced Stem (still in WRITE mode) and most of the stems went to the proper direction, but not all. I then went to ENGRAVE mode and COMMAND selected all the remaining wayward stems and again selected Remove Forced Stem, which seemed to work. I'm thinking that this all should have happened in one step, and wondering if I'm missing something or is this a small detail that needs some tweaking by the developers. Thanks as always for your time.
opandolfi

Re: Fixing Stem Direction after importing Sibelius File via

Postby fratveno » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Do a select-all and then Edit Menu/Reset Appearance ... you can also do Edit Menu/Beaming/Reset Beaming.
Cubase Pro 9/VEP network - Dorico 1.0.30 - Finale 2012c [and 25.3] (user since V1 (1988)) - Notation Composer 3.0.6 - on Windows 7. Hauptwerk and too many sound libraries. [evaluating NotePerformer 2.0.2]
fratveno

Re: Fixing Stem Direction after importing Sibelius File via

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:14 am

You currently have to select the troublesome notes and do Edit > Stems > Remove Forced Directions before you can then force different stem directions. This is a bug (you should be able to force them anyway, without first resetting them) that will be fixed in the next update.
Daniel at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Return to Dorico