Any fast shortcut/option to ad an Octave to a group of notes

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
fahl5

Any fast shortcut/option to ad an Octave to a group of notes

Post by fahl5 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Ok what I am asking for is kind of a luxury-feature.

When I remeber right Sibelius has the possibity bot only to jump/transpose one note or a selcted group of notes for a certain intervall but (with another varied shortcut) also to ad an Intervall to the selected note or group of notes which stays in its original place. When it comes to Octaves for instance this makes things quite handsome to write.

Is there perhaps any similar function in Dorico, I just have not found yet or is this maybe another feature-request?
"We must expect great innovations to transform the entire technique of the arts, thereby affecting artistic invention itself and perhaps even bringing about an amazing change in our very notion of art.” Paul Valéry
http://klassik-resampled.de

Stephen Taylor

Re: Any fast shortcut/option to ad an Octave to a group of n

Post by Stephen Taylor » Mon May 08, 2017 3:40 pm

In Write mode, under the Write menu select "Add Notes Above or Below." This dialog box is thorough, but it's definitely not as quick as Sibelius, where you can type a number (8 for instance) to add an interval.

You can make your own shortcuts in Dorico, but this is one where someday I would like to see an "official" shortcut for quickly adding intervals above or below.
Dorico 1.1, Sibelius 7.5, Logic Pro, Max, Kyma; MacOS Sierra
http://www.stephenandrewtaylor.net

fahl5

Post by fahl5 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Thank You for that imediate answer. I presumably should try to ad a custom shortcut for it.
"We must expect great innovations to transform the entire technique of the arts, thereby affecting artistic invention itself and perhaps even bringing about an amazing change in our very notion of art.” Paul Valéry
http://klassik-resampled.de

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Mon May 08, 2017 7:54 pm

My idea for building upon this is to add a new popover, probably bound to Shift+I for interval, that would allow you to quickly add intervals above or below the selection by typing e.g. "m3" to add a minor third above, or "3,6" to add a diatonic third and sixth above, or "-2,4,7" to add a diatonic second below, and a diatonic fourth and seventh above. I think this will ultimately be more powerful and even faster than what we devised in Sibelius years ago for adding intervals above or below using the number keys.

Stephen Taylor

Post by Stephen Taylor » Mon May 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Wow - that does sound exciting and excellent!

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 pm

That does sound most excellent.

Stephen Taylor

Post by Stephen Taylor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:57 pm

One quick note on the current "Add Notes Above or Below" dialog: On a Mac, once I've chosen the interval I wish to add, I hit the Return (or Enter) key intending to say "OK", but instead the Return key shifts focus to the same menu box I'm currently in, or shifts focus to the next box.

While eagerly awaiting the shift-I popover Daniel mentions above, I'm wondering, is it possible to change the current dialog box so that hitting Return or Enter says "OK"?

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Those pop-up menus are really buttons with menus attached, which means that they get activated when you hit Return. This would be possible to change, but not imminently. Hit Tab to move the focus elsewhere and then hit Return and you should find that the dialog is confirmed correctly.

Return to “Dorico”