time signature shift insert mode

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.

time signature shift insert mode

Postby asbefore » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:57 pm

One of the Dorico bugs that drives me to tears is the inability to insert or remove music in Dorico without shifting the music which follows it.

For example, say you're engraving a highly rhythmic piece, in which the time signature changes often.
Say you've engraved the whole piece, but then you want to add an extra beat in the middle of bar 3 -- unfortunately, in Dorico, you'll have to re-bar the entire piece from that point forward -- literally delete all of the bar lines and re-enter all of the time signatures again.

Is this "feature" or "bug" going to be addressed in the forthcoming major update?
It's preventing me from getting serious work done in Dorico.

Thank you!
asbefore

Re: time signature shift insert mode

Postby MarcLarcher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Dear asbefore
I must say I do not agree. This has happened to me and these are the steps.
First, add a bar right after the bar that you need to modify (change meter) : select the last note of that bar, then shift + B, then +1 in the popover. This will insert an empty bar with the same meter properties than the previous one, but will not modify the music after that.
[Edit] If the bar after the one you have just inserted has no explicit meter, please re-input the meter, in order not to have any bars moving after next step.
Select the first rest in the new bar, change the meter (add the extra beat you were talking about). Notice that this will not move anything after that bar. Now you can copy from the previous bar, add your extra beat, and the delete the previous bar (shift+B and -1 in the popover).
I have done that in the first bars of l'Enfant et les sortilèges (1356 bars with meter changes all the time, so I could not afford changing all the barlines !!!) and it worked like a charm.

This is only one method, without using the insert mode. I am sure there are other methods that work perfectly too — the problem in insert mode is it does not shift all the instruments at once, only the voice of the instrument that is concerned by the insertion, that is why I like my method better.
Hope it helps !
Last edited by MarcLarcher on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OS X 10.11.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and a sometimes music engraver
French is my native language
MarcLarcher

Postby musicmaven » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:58 pm

MarcLarcher,

This is a well-thought out reply, with very easy to follow directions!

I believe Dorico will have Insert Mode capability to shift all instruments at once at some point in the future, but your advice works perfectly!
Dorico 1.0.30, Finale 1.0 through Finale 97, Sibelius 2-7.5, Notion 5.2, MuseScore 2, iMac, MacBook Air, Oxygen 61
musicmaven

Postby fratveno » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:52 pm

MarcLarcher wrote:Select the first rest in that new bar, change the meter (add the extra beat you were talking about).

Before starting work on the new bar I have to repeat the (immanent) time signature on the bar following it, otherwise the subsequent music is affected... is this different with you?
Cubase Pro 9.0.20/VEP 6 network - Dorico 1.1 - Finale 2012c [and 25.3] (user since V1 (1988)) - Notation Composer 3.0.6 - on Windows 7. Hauptwerk and too many sound libraries. [evaluating NotePerformer 2.0.2]
fratveno

Postby musicmaven » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:09 pm

That is what I have seen, re-input the existing (original) time signature in the following bar is necessary to put things right in the music that follows, although this could be done after the edit operation as well.
Dorico 1.0.30, Finale 1.0 through Finale 97, Sibelius 2-7.5, Notion 5.2, MuseScore 2, iMac, MacBook Air, Oxygen 61
musicmaven

Postby MarcLarcher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Fratveno,
You are absolutely right. Since I was working on a piece of music with meter changes at each bar, it didn't raise that problem. I should edit my "tutorial" ;-)
OS X 10.11.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and a sometimes music engraver
French is my native language
MarcLarcher

Postby asbefore » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:11 pm

interesting - will try, thanks!
asbefore

Return to Dorico