Flexible fermatas?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
LAE

Flexible fermatas?

Post by LAE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:18 am

Hello,

is there a way of having a fermata on the third beat of the vocal line but on the rest on the fourth beat of the string accompaniment?

The vocalist stays on beat three in a cadenza like way and will probably make a fermata on the foruth beat also, but there must not be a fermata on beat three of the strings.

How is this done?

Thanks
LAE
Dorico 2
Finale 2014.5
Windows 10

MarcLarcher

Re: Flexible fermatas?

Post by MarcLarcher » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:45 am

I do not think this can be done "the proper way" in Dorico. Actually, what you should do is add the fermata on the fourth beat of the string accompaniment. I might say that, for the singer, you could add the fermata with the shift+X workaround, using the smulf bravura sign from http://www.smufl.org/version/latest/ran ... AndPauses/
That way, you would not have fermatas on all systems twice.
OS X 10.11.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and a sometimes music engraver
French is my native language

LAE

Post by LAE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:04 am

Thanks Marc. Yes, I thought that that might be the only solution. In a way, one could say that the notation I am trying to copy is wrong - but common.

One way could also be to put the fermata on the fourth beat and move it manually to the singer's third beat.
Dorico 2
Finale 2014.5
Windows 10

MarcLarcher

Post by MarcLarcher » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Yes, LAE, your are absolutely right. In Engrave mode it is possible to move only the fermata of the singer — I thought I tried it and it did not work, but I just retried it now, and it does work… I don't know what I've been doing wrong at first !
OS X 10.11.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and a sometimes music engraver
French is my native language

Return to “Dorico”