How to add a dotted line following melody across staves

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.

How to add a dotted line following melody across staves

Postby AndyVegetable » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:41 am

In some a cappella--barbershop--scores, they use a dotted line to follow the melody as it moves between the different voices between staves.

This does not affect playback. It is simply a tool to help the vocalists follow the melody through the parts, as such, it may affect the dynamics or stressing of certain notes being sung.

I may just be missing the feature, or possible work-around.

Thank you, for a great product, so far. I am looking forward to the new features!
AndyVegetable
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:05 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: How to add a dotted line following melody across staves

Postby Romanos401 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Such lines would also be useful in keyboard writing to indicate when the music of one hand crosses staves. Unfortunately, (as far as I can tell any way) there is no currently built in functionality for this. It pretty much comes down to shift-x symbols that you copy & paste into the score and position manually.

I really quite like the idea of Dorico building in a functionality akin to slurs where you select note1 and note2 and hit (L for line?) and have a straight, dotted, or dashed line drawn between the two, editable in the properties panel below to select type. For me this would be incredibly useful. If they built it off of the slur engine it could potentially be very powerful as well, since it would allow the score to dynamically update and redraw the line since it would be "smart" and not simply a graphical overlay.
Romanos401
Junior Member
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:18 am
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: How to add a dotted line following melody across staves

Postby dbudde » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Romanos401 wrote:Such lines would also be useful in keyboard writing to indicate when the music of one hand crosses staves.


You can use gliss line with the text suppressed for this at the moment since they don't play back. Presumably when gliss playback is implemented there will be a way to disable it for a given object.
Attachments
example.png
(73.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MacBook Pro 16GB - OS X 10.12.3
dbudde
Member
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:28 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: How to add a dotted line following melody across staves

Postby fratveno » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:58 pm

Yeah, currently it's possible to gliss from bassoon to flute, or whatever, so I'm very much looking forward to the day these gliss lines will play back ;-) By then we probably have proper voice leading lines in place...
Cubase Pro 9.0.20/VEP 6 network - Dorico 1.1 - Finale 2012c [and 25.3] (user since V1 (1988)) - Notation Composer 3.0.6 - on Windows 7. Hauptwerk and too many sound libraries. [evaluating NotePerformer 2.0.2]
User avatar
fratveno
Member
 
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Norway
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: How to add a dotted line following melody across staves

Postby Derrek » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:05 pm

dbudde wrote:You can use gliss line with the text suppressed for this at the moment since they don't play back. Presumably when gliss playback is implemented there will be a way to disable it for a given object.

And when gliss lines are implemented, Andy, you will become famous (or notorious?) for your avant guarde barbershop arrangements. :twisted:
Dorico 1.0.30, Finale (v25.3), GPO, JABB3, GWI
Windows 7 (also Mac Sierra as alternate)
US English Keyboard
Derrek
Member
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:23 pm
Has thanked: 370 times
Been thanked: 235 times

Re: How to add a dotted line following melody across staves

Postby Romanos401 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:45 pm

dbudde wrote:
Romanos401 wrote:Such lines would also be useful in keyboard writing to indicate when the music of one hand crosses staves.


You can use gliss line with the text suppressed for this at the moment since they don't play back. Presumably when gliss playback is implemented there will be a way to disable it for a given object.


time to revisit a few scores....

thanks for the tip!
Romanos401
Junior Member
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:18 am
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: How to add a dotted line following melody across staves

Postby LSalgueiro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Derrek wrote:
dbudde wrote:You can use gliss line with the text suppressed for this at the moment since they don't play back. Presumably when gliss playback is implemented there will be a way to disable it for a given object.

And when gliss lines are implemented, Andy, you will become famous (or notorious?) for your avant guarde barbershop arrangements. :twisted:

:lol:

I would say, in my cluelessness, that such lines are very similar to glissando lines as they stand implemented today — hence us using them as voice leading lines — which means that hopefully they can be very easily made available.
Random issues I don't think merit a topic — PM me if you have any thoughts on them:
  • My Dorico tends to crash while attempting to pull the preview for selected pages in Print Mode
LSalgueiro
Junior Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:51 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 29 times


Return to Dorico

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Evan Scamman, Rob Tuley and 12 guests