3rd staff for the piano possible?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
ReRei

3rd staff for the piano possible?

Post by ReRei » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:26 pm

How can I add a 3rd staff to the piano notation?
Pieces like "To the spring" by Edvard Grieg use this notation.

LeifG

Re: 3rd staff for the piano possible?

Post by LeifG » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:03 pm

You can't currently create a 3-staff piano, but you can use this attachment as a template.
Attachments
3-staff-piano.dorico.zip
(199.61 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

ulrik

Post by ulrik » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:42 am

LeifG wrote:You can't currently create a 3-staff piano, but you can use this attachment as a template.
Thank you LeifG, how did you do this?
Dorico 1.1
MacOS 10.12.5

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 am

You can do it either by importing a MusicXML file that contains a piano with three staves, but there's no way to do it directly within Dorico at the moment.

ulrik

Post by ulrik » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:39 am

Ok, thank you!
Dorico 1.1
MacOS 10.12.5

PjotrB

Post by PjotrB » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:22 am

When I imported an orchestral piece with divisi strings (Product A MusicXML), to my astonishment I got multi-staff string parts in Dorico. They came in handy, but I didn't understand why I couldn't recreate them. Apparently, Dorico can handle multiple staves, but there is just no means to create them yet.

Interestingly, I have a pdf containing the almost unplayable Opus Clavicembalisticum for piano solo by Kaikhosru Sorabji. The number of staves varies from 1 to 5, sometimes beginning or ending in the middle of the page. It's extremely complicated music, but I think Dorico would be able to handle much of it already: open measures, weird nested tuplets, multi-voice, per-note accidentals, cross-staff chords, etc.

LSalgueiro

Post by LSalgueiro » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:14 am

PjotrB wrote:When I imported an orchestral piece with divisi strings (Product A MusicXML), to my astonishment I got multi-staff string parts in Dorico. They came in handy, but I didn't understand why I couldn't recreate them. Apparently, Dorico can handle multiple staves, but there is just no means to create them yet.

Interestingly, I have a pdf containing the almost unplayable Opus Clavicembalisticum for piano solo by Kaikhosru Sorabji. The number of staves varies from 1 to 5, sometimes beginning or ending in the middle of the page. It's extremely complicated music, but I think Dorico would be able to handle much of it already: open measures, weird nested tuplets, multi-voice, per-note accidentals, cross-staff chords, etc.
Forum competition: first one to engrave all four hours of the Sorabji wins! :lol:

fratveno

Post by fratveno » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:36 am

LSalgueiro wrote:
PjotrB wrote:When I imported an orchestral piece with divisi strings (Product A MusicXML), to my astonishment I got multi-staff string parts in Dorico. They came in handy, but I didn't understand why I couldn't recreate them. Apparently, Dorico can handle multiple staves, but there is just no means to create them yet.

Forum competition: first one to engrave all four hours of the Sorabji wins! :lol:
But the original Curwen edition is so beautifully engraved that it would almost be an insult to the plate engravers in Vienna if we were to redo it digitally ... :-)
Dorico 1.1 - Windows 7

Rob Tuley

Post by Rob Tuley » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:06 pm

The original may be beautifully engraved, but it's full of typos. Even the very first bar has half the notes, and a performance direction, missing, and there's another misprint in bar 2!

It's hardly "unplayable" - Jonathan Powell is part way through six scheduled complete performances during this year alone.

It's already in the process of being redone digitally - though that work started before Dorico was more than a gleam in Daniel's eye.

Claude Lapalme

Post by Claude Lapalme » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Just as an almost off-topic addition to the thread, it is interesting to note that fellow "Dorico-Forumite" Marc-André Roberge is the creator and manager of the "Sorabji Resource Site" at http://www.mus.ulaval.ca/roberge/srs/
Claude Lapalme - Conductor, Arranger, Orchestrator
Music Director @ Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
Artistic Director @ Rosa Barocca

Return to “Dorico”