Audio Exports ignore Flow selections?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
mdgrandy

Audio Exports ignore Flow selections?

Post by mdgrandy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:41 am

Another "this seems like a bug, or else I'm missing something" post:

Setup: Dorico 1.1 for Mac

Steps to repro:
1. Create project with multiple flows
2. File > Export > Audio...
3. Select a subset of the available flows
4. Click "OK" to export

Expected Result:
Dorico should create a WAV that only includes the selected flows, or should create separate WAVs for each flow.

Actual Result:
Dorico exports one giant WAV including all flows, regardless of which flows were selected in the dialog box.

Bonus: I've got 20+ minutes of music in this project so far, so each export of audio seems to take about that long, and creates a 200+ MB file. During export, Dorico seems tied up and pinwheels, seems the only way to cancel the export is to force-quit Dorico. The same behavior reproduces on multiple projects for me.

Let me know if there's any helpful diag info I can capture. Cheers!
-Matt Grandy (Dorico 1.1 for Mac)

IgorBorodin

Re: Audio Exports ignore Flow selections?

Post by IgorBorodin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:54 pm

I've experienced that too (macOS 10.12.5) - even empty (albeit, having certain number of bars with time signatures) placeholder flow is included in the exported wav file despite being unchecked.
Also, exporting audio takes almost as long as the music's real time duration. Is that expected? (No negative/complaining connotation is meant :)
IB

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying to this one: it is as designed that exporting audio will export all flows into the same audio file at the moment. In due course I expect we will add options to export each flow as a separate audio file.

I can't speak to the speed of the audio export process, but I will ask Ulf and Paul about that.

IgorBorodin

Post by IgorBorodin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:15 pm

And one more thing regarding exporting Audio.
I've noticed that no matter what panning of the two instruments (and the only ones) you set in Mixer, the exported wav file ignores that completely - both channels feature both instruments pretty much equally.
Am I missing some control(s) in the Mixer?
IB

mdgrandy

Post by mdgrandy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:04 am

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 pm
Sorry for the delay in replying to this one: it is as designed that exporting audio will export all flows into the same audio file at the moment. In due course I expect we will add options to export each flow as a separate audio file.

I can't speak to the speed of the audio export process, but I will ask Ulf and Paul about that.
Thanks Daniel! Just one further clarification: Is it also expected that all flows should be included in the exported WAV file, regardless of which flows are checked or unchecked in the "Export > Audio > Select flows to export" dialog box? I confess, it's not obvious to me what other purpose those boxes would have, if that's the case.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:33 pm

No, I would say that bit qualifies as a bug :)

mdgrandy

Post by mdgrandy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Got it, thanks Daniel :)

Not to belabor the point, but this particular bug makes the Audio Export feature pretty painful to use on larger projects currently. For example, what should be a relatively quick task (exporting 2 of 16 flows in audio format, in a couple different keys each) instead takes well over an hour, in order to:

1) Export the entire project, ~45 mins long (and takes around ~30 mins to export)
2) Slice out the relevant sections using a separate program
3) Transpose the flows to a different key
4) Export the entire project again (and go eat lunch in the meantime)
5) Again slice up the new files to get the relevant sections

And of course, if you discover that something was wrong with one of the exports (i.e. Halion for some reason wasn't properly initialized, even though it was open and responding to some input), then you get to tack on one more cycle (as I just did).

I know you guys have a million priorities you're juggling, but I just wanted to be transparent about the impact of this particular bug so you all can prioritize effectively. Cheers, and as always, thanks for a magnificent product!

pianoleo

Post by pianoleo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Matt, I haz a workaround:
Export the flows you want first. Not as audio. Just as separate files. Just File>Export>Flows.
Then open each of those in turn and export to audio.

Any good?
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius 8.5, Logic Pro X, Dorico 1.1 etc.
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997)

mdgrandy

Post by mdgrandy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Clever idea! I'm past this particular task the long way, but seems like that would work for the next time around.

Thanks!

Return to “Dorico”