Dorico becomes very slow after a while...

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Andre

Dorico becomes very slow after a while...

Post by Andre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:34 pm

After working for 1 hour or so, Dorico becomes extremely slow to the point that it seems to do nothing at all anymore. No reaction on a mouse click, then, after 15 seconds or so all the things I tried to do (for example pasting text) are coming all at once. This really interupts my way of working fast.
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com
iMac 2,8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB ram, macOS High Sierra.
Sibelius 6.2, Sibelius 7.5, Sibelius 8.5. Cubase 8.5, Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, NotePerformer 2.0 etc etc...

Andre

Re: Dorico becomes very slow after a while...

Post by Andre » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:00 pm

just wondering, but is it normal that every note entered with a midi keyboard takes 2 seconds before it appears in the score? After having played in a normal tempo a full phrase, I need to wait about 20 seconds before they all have appeared and I can check if I need to make any corrections before I can continue. This is really slowing down my work pace... Here is how it looks like while entering notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyRrt54ruJY
Sibelius 6.2, Sibelius 7.5, Sibelius 8.5. Cubase 8.5, Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, NotePerformer 2.0 etc etc...

MarcLarcher

Post by MarcLarcher » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Have you turned attachment lines off (View menu) ? It seems like a real time saver for the time being…
Last edited by MarcLarcher on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OS X 10.11.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and a sometimes music engraver
French is my native language

Andre

Post by Andre » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:24 pm

MarcLarcher wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:23 pm
Have you turned attachment lines off ? It seems like a real time saver for the time being…
Yes, I turned that off a long time ago, I didn't notice any difference.

MarcLarcher

Post by MarcLarcher » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Ok, sorry to read that. I hope someone from Steinberg will provide you with a good advice. For me it still works ok…
OS X 10.11.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and a sometimes music engraver
French is my native language

Andre

Post by Andre » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:36 pm

It's also the rest of Dorico, everything feels very heavy and slow. Dragging the score, selecting a note with the mouse...

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:35 pm

You mentioned "after an hour". Does restarting Dorico solve the problem? An obvious question, perhaps, but that might indicate whether it is a "Dorico" or a "score file" problem. If the problems recur as soon as you restart I'd guess it's something to do with the specific file. If not, then the engineering teem might need to investigate more deeply.

Andre

Post by Andre » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:53 pm

I checked it just now and it actually is very slow (as shown in the video I uploaded in this post) from the start. I guess I only noticed it after an hour how frustrating it is. I really hope this can be solved. Maybe there is a setting I don't know about?

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 am

If you are experiencing very slow operation, can you please zip up and attach the project you're working on here so we can take a look at it?

Andre

Post by Andre » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:24 am

I did some experimenting and discovered that the problem is the size of the score. My current score has 5 flows and is extremely slow. When exporting a single flow and opening, Dorico is normal fast. A score with 2 flows, still no problem. But starting from a score with 3 flows Dorico is much slower. I am afraid I will not even get to a score with 10 flows which will be the total size of the score (10 scenes). The program will be so slow that's it's impossible to work with.

Andre

Post by Andre » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:55 am

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 am
If you are experiencing very slow operation, can you please zip up and attach the project you're working on here so we can take a look at it?
Daniel, because it's a work I am still writing, can I send it to you personally instead? Thanks.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 am

Sure, my email address is d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de.

Andre

Post by Andre » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 am
Sure, my email address is d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de.
Thanks, I have sent you the file.

Andre

Post by Andre » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:57 pm

I have to leave Dorico for a while and continue my large score in The Other Program because Dorico has become so slow, it's impossible for me to do any work right now. I really hope there is a solution for this, Daniel. I have sent you that score, maybe you can shed some light on this situation.

Traubitz

Post by Traubitz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Andre wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:57 pm
I have to leave Dorico for a while and continue my large score in The Other Program because Dorico has become so slow, it's impossible for me to do any work right now..
Don't feel bad. I had the same thing happen to me--I puzzled over it a while and couldn't uncover the cause, though, in my case, I suspect that there was something in the imported XML. My co-writer hasn't caught the Dorico wave yet. :D Hopefully, Daniel and the team will figure out what's happening in larger Orchestral pieces and why entry/editing seems to get gummed up. I'm sure they'll get whatever is going awry fixed in an update.

(Most of my arrangements for piano or string orchestra don't seem to have the problem. It's full orchestration with 10 or more staves is where I'm seeing the issues.)

PaulWalmsley
Steinberg Employee

Post by PaulWalmsley » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Quite often we discover there is a specific thing in a score that we haven't come across before which triggers some suboptimal code paths. If you find you have a specific score where performance is worse than others of a similar size then please do sent it to us and we can optimise for it.
Architect & Developer - Steinberg London

Andre

Post by Andre » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:15 pm

PaulWalmsley wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:10 pm
Quite often we discover there is a specific thing in a score that we haven't come across before which triggers some suboptimal code paths. If you find you have a specific score where performance is worse than others of a similar size then please do sent it to us and we can optimise for it.
That would be great, I have sent the score to Daniel yesterday.

Traubitz

Post by Traubitz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:40 pm

We (my co-writers and myself) send you what we can, Paul, but bear in mind that we can't always pick up a proprietary work that involves other composers or clients and ship it off to you.

PaulWalmsley
Steinberg Employee

Post by PaulWalmsley » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:52 pm

We appreciate that there are constraints on what you can send us, but the better the data the more able we are to fix the problem. Maybe someone needs to write a score anonymiser script in Lua that keeps all the rhythms but randomly rewrites the pitches :-)

Traubitz

Post by Traubitz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:05 pm

PaulWalmsley wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:52 pm
Maybe someone needs to write a score anonymiser script in Lua that keeps all the rhythms but randomly rewrites the pitches :-)
That would be very useful. I have been anxiously awaiting a full plugin interface, documentation for Dorico atoms, etc. I think that Bob Zawalich is one of Brand X's secret weapons. ;) The most I have heard on this front is, "We hope to get back to it..." :P

PaulWalmsley
Steinberg Employee

Post by PaulWalmsley » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:52 pm

That is indeed the current status. We will return to scripting. We've got grand plans for it, but we also have a massive list of other stuff that people seem to want, which keeps us busy.

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:13 am

Paul, I'm guessing you mean more specific features than "the world"? :lol:

Andre

Post by Andre » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:39 am

I realized this morning that I am on Sierra beta, could that be the reason Dorico is acting weird for me? I reinstalled the official Sierra release, reinstalled Dorico 1.1 and run the cleanup Terminal script that I found in the FAQ, still, Dorico is very slow when entering notes. Any other suggestions that could help? I really would like to continue in Dorico and not return the S., but I have to continue working on my project. I told a client about Dorico and he loves the layout, but I am afraid using it right now for his projects because of this slowing down problem.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:49 pm

We are looking into your project, André, and will come back to you as soon as we can. Chances are there will not be any steps you can take in the current version of Dorico to improve the situation: we would need to provide a fix of some kind to the application. We'll give more feedback when we can.

Andre

Post by Andre » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:58 pm

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:49 pm
We are looking into your project, André, and will come back to you as soon as we can. Chances are there will not be any steps you can take in the current version of Dorico to improve the situation: we would need to provide a fix of some kind to the application. We'll give more feedback when we can.
THanks, Daniel.

Return to “Dorico”