Lyric Justification

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Evan Scamman

Lyric Justification

Post by Evan Scamman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:00 pm

Hymnals generally use a form of justification that is a hybrid between Left and Center for the first word of each line. The word column is left-aligned but as a block it is centered around the note (See picture).
justify.jpg
(332.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Is this possible with Dorico?

Derrek

Re: Lyric Justification

Post by Derrek » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:13 pm

You can justify the syllables with the properties panel, but (AFAIK) one word at a time.
justification.png
(14.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dorico 1.1.10, Finale (v25.4), GPO, JABB3, GWI
Windows 7 (also Mac Sierra as alternate)
US English Keyboard

Evan Scamman

Post by Evan Scamman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Thanks, Derrek. I'm aware of the justification properties, but as I stated in the OP, I need something that is a hybrid between Left and Center. I'm hoping that there is an easy way to achieve this.

Derrek

Post by Derrek » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Your image showed left justification, not the combination you mention; the impression was that your picture represented what you wanted. If I mistook, that's why.
Dorico 1.1.10, Finale (v25.4), GPO, JABB3, GWI
Windows 7 (also Mac Sierra as alternate)
US English Keyboard

andgle

Post by andgle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:32 pm

You can use note spacing to shift the notes right (using the small circle)
Shifting the whole beat back left (the square), will give you even note spacing.
Attachments
Skjermbilde 2017-07-17 kl. 00.30.24.png
(132.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Anders

macOS Sierra

Evan Scamman

Post by Evan Scamman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 am

Derrek, if you look closely at my image, you'll see that the text is left justified but also centered around the note. Simple left justification would align the text with the left edge of the note.

Anders, I may have to use your suggestion for now. It ends up being a 3 or 4 step process, because my systems are packed pretty tightly.

Dorico Team,
Since what I am asking for is a fairly standard method of justification in hymnals, please consider adding an additional justification option. I'm not sure what to call it: Centered Left?

Thank you,
Evan

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:37 am

When I've faced this circumstance I just use the left align for all four, select all four words at the same time, and then just nudge them a bit in engrave mode with alt arrow. You have to manually adjust all over the score but it is achievable as it stands now. Automatic would be great, but at least you can do what you want in the meantime.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:22 pm

We will certainly consider this for future versions, though I agree that it's not too onerous to produce this form of justification manually at the moment: set all the lyrics to be left-aligned via the Properties panel, then adjust them left with the Alt+arrow keys in Engrave mode.

Evan Scamman

Post by Evan Scamman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:30 pm

I'm gald to hear that you will consider this. True, it can be done manually, but it requires a bit more work than simply shifting the left-aligned lyrics. The spacing of the previous and following notes also has to be adjusted manually, because it does not automatically recalibrate for the new position of the lyrics.

Return to “Dorico”