Chord Symbols and hidden instruments

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
David Tee

Chord Symbols and hidden instruments

Post by David Tee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:40 am

I've worked out how to hide chord symbols for different instruments (Setup, right click on the instrument where you don't want chord symbols showing) so that they only appear above the first instrument. However, if that first instrument is hidden for a few bars, how can I then show the chord symbols without having them shown on multiple staves when the first instrument appears?

The layout is very common - Voice / Piano. The voice appears in bar 5 after a 4 bar Piano intro.
• MacPro 3,1, 24 GB Ram, OSX 10.11.6, Cubase 9.0

pianoleo

Re: Chord Symbols and hidden instruments

Post by pianoleo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 am

Glad it's not just me!

Currently you have to do this manually, as follows:

Show chord symbols in BOTH instruments.
In Write mode select empty vocal bars. Go Edit/Filter/Chord Symbols. From the "Chord Symbols" section in the bottom pane flick the switch and then tick the box for "Hidden".
Then select all the remaining piano bars, filter chord symbols, flick and tick as above.

According to Daniel a "Show chord symbols on top line" feature has already been implemented in the next minor release; hopefully out within a few weeks.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius 8.5, Logic Pro X, Dorico 1.1 etc.
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997)

pianoleo

Post by pianoleo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 am

P.S. I've assigned Cmd-Shift-Alt-K to "Filter Chord Symbols", just as I did years ago in Sibelius. I suppose Cmd-Shift-Alt-Q would be more appropriate to Dorico...
Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius 8.5, Logic Pro X, Dorico 1.1 etc.

David Tee

Post by David Tee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 am

pianoleo wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 am
Glad it's not just me!

Currently you have to do this manually, as follows:

Show chord symbols in BOTH instruments.
In Write mode select empty vocal bars. Go Edit/Filter/Chord Symbols. From the "Chord Symbols" section in the bottom pane flick the switch and then tick the box for "Hidden".
Then select all the remaining piano bars, filter chord symbols, flick and tick as above.

According to Daniel a "Show chord symbols on top line" feature has already been implemented in the next minor release; hopefully out within a few weeks.
Thanks for this - much appreciated!
• MacPro 3,1, 24 GB Ram, OSX 10.11.6, Cubase 9.0

pianoleo

Post by pianoleo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:02 am

Just thinking about it, this is also possible in Engrave Mode - that feels (to me) like the obvious place to do it - but you can only select one chord symbol at a time so it's considerably slower.

dwlarson

Post by dwlarson » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:42 am

Is it possible to have chords showing on different instruments in different flows? For example, I might have one flow with just piano (with chords printed above), and a second flow with a lead instrument or vocal line. I want the chords to appear above the lead line but not the piano (in the lead/piano part only). I haven't figured out how to do that without manually hiding the chords in the piano part...

pianoleo

Post by pianoleo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:12 am

The short answer is "not yet". You're not doing it wrong, it's just the way that things are set up for now - the only way is to set chord symbols to show in both piano AND lead instrument (or vocal line), and then hide the ones you don't want.

Here is Dan's email from the 5th (verbatim):

"Hi Leo,

Just to say that we've also today implemented the option to allow chord symbols to be drawn only above the top staff, instead of following the settings for individual players defined in Setup mode. The new option will be on the Staves and Systems page of Layout Options and will be in the forthcoming minor update, which is hopefully only a few weeks away.

D"

andgle

Post by andgle » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:50 am

Great news!
Anders

macOS Sierra

dwlarson

Post by dwlarson » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:56 pm

That IS great news indeed! And a simple way to accomplish what I'm trying to do. Thanks!

matanr

Post by matanr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Is there a way to toggle all chord symbols to show on and off? I started a chart with chord symbols on the rhythm section only, and now need it for all instruments in the next flow...

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm not sure what the issue is, matanr: do you have completely different instruments in your next flow? Or do you want chord symbols to appear for one instrument in one flow but not in the next? You can always select the staff that shows the chord symbols that you want to hide in that flow, then switch on the 'Hide chord symbol' property in the Properties panel.

Return to “Dorico”