Text positioning

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Post Reply
User avatar
thiagotiberio
Junior Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA
Contact:

Text positioning

Post by thiagotiberio » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:32 am

Hello friends!

Does anyone know how to move the div. text underneath the mp marc. in this example—in Write mode?

Image

User avatar
k_b
Member
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Text positioning

Post by k_b » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:56 am

thiagotiberio, sorry, a question: why are the dynamics above the staff? This looks unfamiliar to me.

User avatar
Daniel at Steinberg
Moderator
Posts: 5433
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 am
Contact:

Re: Text positioning

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:09 am

You can't change the order in which Dorico decides to stack things outside the staff. Text objects go outside dynamics. If you want to change that, it is done by moving things in Engrave mode.

high5ths
Junior Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: Text positioning

Post by high5ths » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:28 pm

k_b wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:56 am
thiagotiberio, sorry, a question: why are the dynamics above the staff? This looks unfamiliar to me.
My guess (not that you asked me ;) ) is that the dynamics apply to the upper voice, and there are also dynamics below the staff for the lower voice.
Jeffrey Grossman
http://www.jeffreygrossman.com
Sibelius, Finale, SCORE engraver and professional musician

User avatar
thiagotiberio
Junior Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Text positioning

Post by thiagotiberio » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 pm

high5ths wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:28 pm
k_b wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:56 am
thiagotiberio, sorry, a question: why are the dynamics above the staff? This looks unfamiliar to me.
My guess (not that you asked me ;) ) is that the dynamics apply to the upper voice, and there are also dynamics below the staff for the lower voice.
Correct! ;)

User avatar
thiagotiberio
Junior Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Text positioning

Post by thiagotiberio » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:09 am
You can't change the order in which Dorico decides to stack things outside the staff. Text objects go outside dynamics. If you want to change that, it is done by moving things in Engrave mode.
Sorry I have no idea what the "proper" engraving of something like this is, I just know it looks funny to me... time to pull out my G. Read guide, I think—it's got to be here somewhere... :?

User avatar
Daniel at Steinberg
Moderator
Posts: 5433
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 am
Contact:

Re: Text positioning

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm not saying that in all circumstances in all published music that text objects go outside dynamics: I'm saying that in Dorico text objects go outside dynamics.

Claude Lapalme
Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:29 pm
Location: Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Text positioning

Post by Claude Lapalme » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:14 pm

On occasion, I have written "div." as a prefix when used concurrently with dynamics.
Claude Lapalme - Conductor, Arranger, Orchestrator
Music Director @ Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
Artistic Director @ Rosa Barocca

User avatar
thiagotiberio
Junior Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Text positioning

Post by thiagotiberio » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Interesting idea, Claude—I'll look into it. Thanks for sharing!

Post Reply

Return to “Dorico”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Robby Poole, ryanwms and 9 guests